Nitrate: 0

ph tank:7.5

ph tap: 8

water temp is 78 to 80

55 gallons has been running since, over a year

rena xp 3 + biowheel 200 + biowheel 350 = 900gph

once a week water change 50 to 90%

5 fish , 1 - 3inches the rest smaller

I use prime, and kents goldfish essential.

I feed tetra flakes, crisps and sinking granuals, pro gold . Peas or broccoli once a week.

No medications added to the tank. All these fish had one fluke treatment about 2 months ago with aquarium solutions liquid prazi pro.

No unusal findings on Body.

This Fish is eating, but is top hanging with the dorsal fin down. He/she will swim normal if disturbed. I have this fish exactly a year. I had alot of trouble with this breed of fish. I had bought two before this and they both died, so I bought this one from a different store. Compared to the other fish, this one has not grown much. This behavior has been going on for about two weeks, and is now getting worse. More top hanging than normal behavior. What do I do?

Your fish doesn't sound well. It's very difficult to diagnose and treat these symptoms but some of my fish have come good after isolation in clean, salted, heated water. Do you have a hospital tank? Experiment with different types of food, some fish bloat up in reaction to certain foods, it's an individual thing.

You mentioned about your history with black moors and the fact that this fish hasn't grown much. Even though you got this fish from a different store it's very likely that it came from the same wholesaler and probably the same breeder. I think that it is just not from strong stock and therefore will stress to the slightest change in environment.

I have a ten gallon hospital tank. Right now I put this fish in a breeder box in my main tank. I fed peas yesterday. Still kind of acting the same. Hanging head down, perking up when disturbed. This fish was good for about a year.

Hmmm. Sounds like it could be parasites. Both internal parasites, tapes/roundworm etc and flukes will stunt a fishes growth; often internal p's will make a fish to hang at the surface, head pointing down. The fish who acts listless but perks up when disturbed is very typical of flukes. So those 2 possibilities would be my best guesses.

All these fish had one fluke treatment about 2 months ago with aquarium solutions liquid prazi pro.

Do you mean one course, or literally one treatment? Flukes normally require several treatments to be completely erradicated. Internal parasites require med food containing levamisol and prazi - I think Jungle labs make one.

Just one other thing - I wonder why is there no reading for nitrate on this tank? It's obviously cycled if it's been running a year. Which kit are you using and how often do you test?

Yes one treatment. The back of the bottle says to do a large water change. put 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons. and to leave in for 5 to 7 days. I did that once.

I'm using api drops for testing. I think I get no Nitrate readings because I do large weekly water changes and I have algae. If there is algae there has to be nitrates, so I think the algae is eating the nitrates.

Also after i did this fluke treatment when I did a water change to get the meds out three of the fish were acting odd. This black moore was swimming like he was drunk, my Oranda mix was top hanging in the corner face up and my pearlscale was top hanging in the same corner face down. Then I got yelled at by my fiance, "See you killed them! You and your water changing!" The next day they were all fine.

Edited by kittyfiends

OK - if you have green algae the nitrate reading makes sense. Lucky you!

Regarding the Prazi - although the instructions say only one treatment is needed, it is rarely enough. It bio-degrades after around 48 hours and flukes have such an amazing survival capacity built into their life-cycle that several doses 2 and 3 days apart are much more what is needed. Daryl often gives as many as 8 rounds if her fish are loaded.

If you still have the Prazi, I would try a few more rounds and see if there is any improvement. I would also consider the med-food for internals.

Ok this stuff says retreat as necessary. But no more than once every 3 to 5 days. I just did a large water change on Sunday.

I guess I'll do another huge water change tonight, put the prazi in. Then do another huge water change Sunday with another treatment.

And every three days there after til I have done it 8 times?

I'll get the jungle parasite meds tonight.

Update:

I gave fish medicated anti parasite jungle food for three days consecutive. Yesterday i changed out the water and did the prazi pro treatment.

The food says to feed it 3 days a week consecutive for 4 weeks.

Mr McGerk is still in the breeder basket. He seems to have a little more energy. Sometimes he'll sit at the bottom with the dorsal fin up. But is a lot more active.

The only thing that seems a little odd is his right abdomen seems a little swollen.

Could your fish be female and full of eggs? My moor hangs at the top when she is re-absorbing eggs. Keep a close watch on her poop. Zig zag poop with bubbles in it means she is busy re-absorbing her eggs.

Hi Imogen,

Glad to see you are back. I'm not sure if this fish is male or female. I guess anything is a possibility :idont . I'll keep a look out for the zig zagging poop. Guess it won't hurt to continue with the fluke treatments.

I also just found out that on Sept 17th there was a boil water in effect in the beach section of my city. They hit a waterline somewhere on A1A, which is the road on the actual beach island. I live between the water plant and the beach. I bet they put some extra chemicals in the water. I noticed one day when I took bath that water reeked of chlorine. I just found out about this because I finally checked the messages on my answering machine and there was a call from the city that the boil water was no longer in effect.

Update:

I have done 3 prazi pro treatments. I don't think it's flukes, because wouldn't the fish be better already?

On Saturday there was long clearish whitish poop with a bubble on the end, and the abdomen is still swollen on one side.

So if this is egg impaction like Imogen suggested, what do I do? And if nothing, how long will this take to pass It's probably been

more than three weeks already.

Thanks

Rita, I would say the whitish poop is suspicious, the bubble may or may not indicate some egg issues but if its white plus the bottom sitting I wonder if meds may be needed. If the boil water thing was in op and the water contained high bacterial load at that time it could be a bacterial infection.Is

s he eating well?

Sorry about all the typos Im at work and the keyboard keeps switching into Japanese... :krazy:

Thanks for the response Imogen. This fish is a little piggy when it comes to food. Still top hanging with head down, and the abdomen still looks a little swollen.

Any news on the little guys, Kittyfiends? :)

This fish is not recovering, now she is bottom sitting. I still have her in a breeder basket. I really don't know what else to do. The belly is still bloated on one side. If it's the egg thing how long does it take to release or absorb? I did two weeks worth of jungle anti bacterial food, and have not seen any improvement. Last water change I let her loose and she was swimming every where for a few minutes and then went back to bottom sitting. Before that I tried feeding only peas for a week. Nothing seems to really help, but she is hungry.

Edited by kittyfiends

Just to confirm something Rita, did the boil water thing being in op coincide directly with her being like this?

Does she still have the white poo? Im thinking internal cyst if its not eggs. Has the lump changed in size at all?

I'm going to say yes it coincided with the boil water. They section I live in did not have to boil water. I think maybe something in the extra chemicals they added to the whole water supply may have initiated it.

I have not seen any white poo recently. The lump remains the same , no bigger , no smaller.

How are things now, Kittyfriends? :)

Oh no..I am sorry Rita..

Is the swollen side still the same??..Hasn't gone down at all??? Let's wait up for Imo to drop in...I am sure she ll look into this soon..

I hope ur fish gets better Rita...and u are very strong to not give up on him yet..you are doing soo gr88 with him... :hug

Dont give up Rita. Is she still eating?

Yes still eating. I was a few days late on my water weekly water change because I have been sick in bed, now the white fish that had some sort of fin rot before, has frayed fins and is looking a wreck. I just did a water change today. I'm going to do a 3% salt, every 12 hours 1 teaspoon per gallon 3 times. Maybe place an order from Ken for the medi gold? The package I had expired.

I left the blackmoore go during the water change she was top hanging and one flipper on the side that's swollen didn't seem to be working properly. I wonder if I can find a larger basket to put her in. If I let her go she swims around for 20 minutes and then gets sucked up into the filter.

Yes some kind of larger container. You can try a plastic cullendar if you have one..

I always think when I have slipped up on w/cs or been away and come home to little signs of potential trouble that it can all be dealt with usually with daily water changes for a week or so to get the tank and the media and the fish back on track.