Goldfish Laxatives?

Raivynn

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? unsure [pet store who tested my water says "safe" but could say no more. grrr...need a new test kit...]

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6 approx

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? n/a

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? Pet store; API strips

[*]Water temperature? 74-78*f; heated

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons; hospital tank.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquaclear 200, side-mounted.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 50-75%, at least weekly. with the different meds i have been changing a little more often.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish; approx. 5" including tail.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime conditioner; treating with API Triple Sulfa

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? I had previously stopped feeding for about a week. i have been feeding only peas recently

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? no

[*]Any medications added to the tank? API Triple Sulfa; first dose

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? White film on body and fins; chronic with this particular fish

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Eating well, swim bladder is compromised

I have heard others have problems with constipated fishes. I am wanting to know just what else other than peas I can give for a gentle laxative.

My black telescope has been upside down for about a month and half, and nothing has seemed to work so far. I have used nitrofurazone and salt, both of which do well in treating goldies. No results. I have gone to API's triple sulfa to try and attack the white film on his body and fins...hope it works.

He's 5, almost 6 years old, and I am just afraid he is stuck upside down for good. He has damaged one of his eyes from laying on it, and most likely blind to some extent from it. I am handfeeding him peas, which he is eating well. :D The tank is barebottom, an airstone, and the filter is mounted on the side of the tank.

Here's to keeping my fingers crossed for my baby boy.

Guest Saitama Sachie

Hi, the mods on here a lot more informative than I will be. But I do know that broccoli is another great laxative for fish. I steam the broccoli in the microwave in a microwave safe dish and a little bit of water in the bottom of the dish for a few minutes. Then I run it under cool water before I give it to them. Hope that helps.

I have live plants in my tank, and my fish are always nibbling at them (they can polish off one within a couple of weeks!) And there is always a TON of green poop on the bottom (more water changes! :krazy: )

Do you have any live plants in your tank? I'm not great with plant names, but I think mine one is duck weed? Anyhow, it has feathery leaves thet are easy to bite off. Maybe this will help!

I will be trying the broccoli trick for sure!

However, I have made the assumption his insides are working fairly well as far as digestion goes. I have been feeding green peas for the past 2 days, and he has had *very* healthy green poo! So, out with constipation.

As for live plants, the tank is barebottom, so they don't do so well. Plus, I do NOT want to be adding more than I absolutely need to in a hospital tank. It's a recipe for disaster.

He's healthy and happy...just upside down, and looks pretty bored. :P

I have a fish with severe SBD. It does not mater what I feed him, he will eventually get clogged up and float tail up. I tried everything, in the end, I have to fast him for a week when he gets like that. I am still trying to figure out a good feeding/fasting regiment for him.