Why Does Brownie Keep Growing More Pompoms?

Shamu23

When I got Brownie my choco pompom oranda she had 1 normal pompom on each side and 1 smaller weird pompom on one side, now she keeps growing more and more on that one side, she has about 5 on that side now, poor thing can barely see on that side now, why is that happening?

Edited by Shamu23

That's kinda strange. Mine has the two regular poms, and one is bigger than the other. But then again, this same fish has and extra bit growing from one fin and part of it's tail fish is curved, where the rest of the tail is straight. I hope someone else knows.

lol me 2 cuz if she keeps growing more the weight of them all will make them all rip off which would probably b pretty painful for the little guy, they do seem kinda loose on that side aleady!

Just genetics. People and animals grow strange things all the time. Extra fingers or toes. Siamese twins! Remember the deer in the news a while back that only had one horn growing out of the middle of its head so they called it the "real unicorn?" Two headed snakes. Cats with no tails. And there are a host of other genetic mutations and abnormalities. In fact, that's where all of our different goldfish breeds originally came from; genetic mutations and abnormalities. Yeah, multiple pom poms could cause sight problems on that side and there is an extra chance they could get ripped off, but unless you wanted to take it in to a vet to have the extra pom poms cut off and, chances are that even if you had those pom poms cut off, there's nothing that says more won't grow anyway, so, really, there isn't much you can do. If you could get double pom poms to grow on both sides, you'd have a whole new breed of goldfish that could be worth a lot of money!

This is one of my favorite genetic mutations:

doublebubble.jpg

I wouldn't be to concerned about it, just make sure she is able to eat and swim (can pompoms be trimmed like wens?). And, of course, we may need some pictures. ;)

i wouldnt want them cut off or anything! She's a special fishie! I posted pics in the photo section :) and i counted them, i was right, she has 5 plus a few small extra pieces on that side! Doesnt look like she's growing any more on the other side though :)