Using Prazi

seheap

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.....

When adding prazi to a QT I know I'm supposed to use 1/2 tsp for 10 gallons, but when I do my daily water changes of 3 gallons do I add back in another 1/2 tsp, 1/4 tsp? Or should I just amp up my water change to 5 gallons so that computing the addition of prazi is easier? I've said this a lot on koko's in the last few days, but, This is my first QT and I really want to get everything right!

Hopefully no one is annoyed by my constant questions....... :unsure:

Thanks!!!

RG

I'm getting to the tail end of my QT and what I did is do a fifty percent water change every day on my ten gallon. I added 10 tsp. salt to get my salt at .02% and then I re-added a quarter teaspon of Prazi each day. I only salted and prazied for two weeks and now I'm doing the last two weeks in freshwater to get him ready to go into the main tank.

Everyone has their own system and I am still pretty new, so someone else might have a better idea.

Actualy I used old filter medium to seed the new filter and so it is fully cycled. But I think I will do the 5 gallon water changes just cuz it will be easier. Also, I'm going away for the weekend. Will Phoenix be ok in the QT all weekend alone? I usually fast my goldies on Wednesday but decided to fast them on Saturday this week. I will be able to feed them twice on Friday and once on Sunday. The only thing I'm worried about is the prazi in the QT and the lack of a water change for a day (or two). Any ideas?

ps. I'm so glad no one is getting annoyed! :krazy: It makes me love it here even more!!

cheers

RG

It is my understanding that Prazi is meant to stay in the tank for 5 to 7 days. We add more with water changes, because we took some of the dose out (the same way you add more salt when you remove salt). So I would think it would be fine. As long as your cycle is holding.

I'm getting to the tail end of my QT and what I did is do a fifty percent water change every day on my ten gallon. I added 10 tsp. salt to get my salt at .02% and then I re-added a quarter teaspon of Prazi each day.

This would be exactly correct. A 50% water change is definitely easier to calculate and, actually, is a better amount of water to change anyway as a regular practice, as 30% is usually never enough. And you would only replace whatever percent of Prazi that was removed, same as you would with salt, as Amy said.

Actualy I used old filter medium to seed the new filter and so it is fully cycled. But I think I will do the 5 gallon water changes just cuz it will be easier. Also, I'm going away for the weekend. Will Phoenix be ok in the QT all weekend alone? I usually fast my goldies on Wednesday but decided to fast them on Saturday this week. I will be able to feed them twice on Friday and once on Sunday. The only thing I'm worried about is the prazi in the QT and the lack of a water change for a day (or two). Any ideas?

As long as your tank is cycled, you will have no worries about the ammonia getting too high, which is far worse than going without food for a couple days. They can actually go for 4 days or so pretty easily without food, so a weekend won't be a problem as far as the food goes either, especially, as, in reality, it only comes down to 1 day without food.

If your tank is cycled, you actually don't need to do daily water changes. You only need to do daily water changes if you're putting fish in an uncycled tank. If your tank is cycled, you can just add the full dose of Prazi and leave it in there for the full 5-7 days and you're done with it.

I'm so glad you told me that, Lynda! I was so worried that she would have difficulties with the weekend coming. Thanks so much!