Losing Ketchup

Guest kafine

Guest kafine

Well, it's looking like there's nothing to be done for Ketchup. We haven't been able to diagnose these lesions, and they don't match any description of infection or parasite I can find. I've been keeping the water clean as I can. And he's getting worse. He's now having some trouble swimming, and is tired almost all the time, sleeping on the bottom. He seems to be in pain now, which is hard to see.

So.

Since I don't really have the resources to do much else for Ketchup, other than keep him clean, it looks like it's time to think about maybe putting him out of his misery (if this mystery condition doesn't get him first).

I HATE myself for thinking this, but since he's in pain and with each passing day he becomes more of a danger to his tankmate Pickle... It seems to be the best solution for both of them.

Do you think that's right? Basically I think I'm looking for permission :(

Ketchup has been with me for 5 years and somehow I feel that I owe him more than I can give him. I wouldn't even think this yet if I had any idea what was wrong with him.

only you will know when its the right time to let your fish go we cant make that desicion for you.

If you do decide to let him go please use this way to euthanise . use clove oil Koko has instructions on using clove oil on its own but I cant find the link at present. I am sure Trinket knows were to find it.

Whatever you decide to do you will do doing what you think is best for Ketchup :hug

You will know what is right. Sometimes it is the kindest thing we can do for our well-loved pets. Just make certain that you follow painless instructions. I have read so many varying arguements for and against freezing that I do thing clove oil is the safest and the most painless way to go. You can find it at most natural health stores or even Whole Foods.

I know it's hard to make that decision.

However, I will ask if you have tried this: iodine. It is a very potent bacteriacide, and works very well for bacterial-caused lesions.

I have not read all of your threads on Ketchup, but I will shortly. I believe I read a small portion in the Disease section.

Good luck, and only you know what is best for you and your little guy.

Guest kafine

Well, I had discussed it with my mother this afternoon, and we agreed that it was probably going to be necessary (she approached me, it had crossed her mind too, just from looking at him). I was going to wai and see how he was in the morning, and try some of the last minute advice from the thread in diseases if he seemed to still be fighting.

But I have just been down to see him, and he has taken another significant turn for the worse. He's not trying anymore (before, he was still struggling to swim, and tried to take food even though he didn't manage to), and that's the cue I was waiting for. I was only going to do this once he seemed to have given up himself.

So that's that.

Yes, we have gone with the clove oil. Fortunately we had some lying around.

:(

I'll clean out the tank tomorrow, and hopefully Pickle will have better luck.

Thank you all very much for your advice. <3

Edited by kafine