What Wrong With My Pearl Scale And Fancy Tail

10082008008.jpg

10082008005.jpg

10082008007.jpg

White Fancy Tail:

For the past month, I believed he have swimming bladder problem. I fast the fish for three days and fed green peas for three days. It gotten better but now it looks like it got worsen.

Gold Pearl Scale:

I noticed the wound two weeks ago and now it got worsen. The wound is deepen to a point that I can see an opening above the mouth. I believed he have a "hole in the head disease" or Fungus infection.

Both fishes appeared to have good appetite.

If there is a treatment regimen, can I treat both fishes on the same hospital tank.

Please help, thank you very much.

Hi!!! :D Welcome to the board! (again!)

I see that you've posted a few times, but we can actually just help you with both fish in this thread you've just posted, and one of our moderators can probably just delete the other two.. (I did the same thing when I joined, it's okay :) )

Could you please answer this box of questions here: These answers will help us better undertand your fish, set up, and then we can help you the best we can!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? I am an amateur and don't know have no test kit

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature? 76-80 F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 Gal

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Emperor, not sure the size

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? once every two week, 70% WC

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 11

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Salt and Conditioner (Tetra Brand - EasyBalance for nitrate Reduction)

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? use to be once a week pellet from Tetra

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Past month about 7 fishes

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? some on white fishes.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Only the white facy fish

Well, its early here and Sue is probably still snoozing, so I'm going to jump in.

The first thing you need to do is a LARGE water change...temperature matched, dechlorinated and ph matched if possible. 70% every 2 weeks isn't nearly enough water changes for your fish. The second thing you need to do TODAY if possible is get a test kit for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, ph, gh, and kh as all of these affect your fish greatly especially ammonia and nitrites. If you can't get one today, you can take a sample of your water to the lfs and they will test it for you. Just be sure they give you the EXACT numbers, not just "its ok".

I'm sure Sue will get more into the particulars and details with you as I'm off to work and just kind of tried to answer you quickly on what your immediate needs are for your fish.

Good luck, and welcome to Koko's! You'll get soooo much information here and lots of help. I'll check back on you when I get home this evening. :)

Vickielm just gave you the essential advice there. Also, if you're been looking at past topics you'll see that the rule of thumb is 1 fancy goldfish per 10 gallons of water.....so your tank can really only accomidate 5 fish :(

I'm willing to bet that when you get your water checked the perameters (nitrates, etc) will be high. We've all been there, I think almost everyone on this board started out with too many fish. I'm afraid if you want to keep your fish healthy, you're going to have to get a second tank or find new homes for some of them. The thing is goldfish produce a LOT of waste (as you've probably noticed:P) and along with that comes ammonia, nirites and nitrates, all of which are toxic. Filters remove this but if too much is being produced the filter just can't keep up. How long has your tank been running? I'm not sure if you know about cycling (check the link on the bottom of Countryluva's sig), but it takes a while for a tank to become established and even begin to filter out the nitrates and nitrites.

Also, what do you feed for fish now? Not sure if I"m confused, but did you say it used to be a pellet?

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

Oh man, I told you I just skimmed the post...

I'm sorry that I didn't see that you have 11 fish in a 55 gallon. That is crazy overstocked, hon, and you are going to have to split your fish up into either another aquarium or possibly a Rubbermaid container that will hold some of them. Chrissy explained exactly why, so I won't go into all of the details. Overcrowding stresses your fish and will cause them to be ill in many ways.

Have you tested your water yet? We can help you a lot if you get those results.

Snoozing? Not me! LOL

Vickie & Chrissy are giving you great advice! : ) All of the things they suggested are the most important first steps here.. Having the water tested or buying a drop test kit would be one of the first moves for sure.. If you can get a kit like the API Freshwater Master Test Kit that would be fabulous.. Like they both said, the over crowding is going to be a problem.. Having soo many fish in a tank made ideally for 5 fish is going to produce so much waste that the water is going to cause many many problems.. Even if you did water changes every single day, I just think your tank is way overstocked.. I definately agree that you are going to need to invest in a second tank, or find a new home for some of these fish.

In the meantime..water changes. Like CRAZY, just like Vickie said... A very large water change right now is a must.. You could even do that before getting it tested. Just save a sample to take to the store, or to test when you get your kit. I am very curious to see the readings..

Are all the fish fancies? Knowing how long the tank has been running like Chrissy said is also very important here..

I believe your white fish may be helped with water quality, but I believe the pearlscale has a bacterial infection and is going to need treatment.. it does not look like hole in the head in my opinion. I believe it to be a mouth rot type infection, possibly caused by flexibacter columnaris bacteria.. (Trinket? Pixie?)

HOWEVER, before any treatment can be started the water in the tank must be absolutely perfect.. So if we can work on that first, then we can talk about ways to help your pearlscale.. Please do not start any medications right now..Adding meds to water with any ammonia can be deadly. Also, choosing the right medication is extremely important. So, even if you get the urge to add something, please wait.. Trust me on that one! :) We need to know your water tests results before we can even consider a medication in the water..

One of the other main problems here is that you said you added 7 new fish this month. I am guessing (let me know if I am wrong) that they were not quarentined and watched before adding them to the tank.. The SAME thing happened to me. Adding new fish can introduce all sorts of disease to your main tank. In a perfect environment (correct number of fish, perfect water,) the fishes immune system can be strong enough to fight the bad bacteria in your tank. Having bad bacteria in your tank is inevitable, but are removed through weekly water changes of about 50%. (That is in a correctly stocked aquarium, with proper filtration). Then a large water change monthly. 80-100%.. The problem is, in your tank with too many fish, not enough water changes, the fish are weakened. They aren't strong enough to fight the bacteria, and this is when things can occur, like the problem with your pearlscale. Once that bacteria gets a hold, it can then spread to other fish.

Parasites work the same way. Healthy fish can fight off small quantities of them.. But once they get the upper hand, you can have an outbreak. (Like Ich, flukes.. many types)..

When you added new fish to your tank, the water quality most likely went downhill FAST. This gave the bacteria and/or parasites the perfect opportunity. Often, if you quarentine your new fish, you can treat those fish FIRST, without spreading anything to the main tank. So I believe in your case a combination of all of these things occured..

Sounds like a lot I'm sure.. And don't feel bad.. My goldfish keeping experience started almost exactly the same... 6 goldies in a 29 gallon, no QTing, a fish with a mouth infection even!!! It can all get sorted out : ) Just need to take it a few steps at a time.. So for now, test results and water changes..