Water Change Question

Ok so I'm reading on goldfishconnection about waterchanges and this is what they said:

Note: When doing any major water change make sure the temperature of your tap water is close to the water temperature in your goldfish aquarium. As long as the water feels the same temperature to the touch, that's good enough. pH is important, the pH of your tap water must be the same or higher then your goldfish aquarium. If your tap water is lower than your tank water you must add a good buffer like our Buff-it-Up . When doing a water change of any size always add enough dechlor like our De-Tox Plus to your aquarium water for the entire size of your aquariun before you add your new tap water, Exp: 100 gallon aquarium remove 25 gallons, add enough dechlor to the aquarium for 100 gallons then add the 25 gallons of tap water.

Now one part i'm confused about and perhaps you all could enlighten me a bit is this...is he saying add the dechlor into the tank then add the untreated water into the tank?? Does anyone else do this?? If this is safe then that would make my live infinitely easier cause then I could bring my hose to the tank and just let it flow........Thoughts???

Ok so I'm reading on goldfishconnection about waterchanges and this is what they said:

Note: When doing any major water change make sure the temperature of your tap water is close to the water temperature in your goldfish aquarium. As long as the water feels the same temperature to the touch, that's good enough. pH is important, the pH of your tap water must be the same or higher then your goldfish aquarium. If your tap water is lower than your tank water you must add a good buffer like our Buff-it-Up . When doing a water change of any size always add enough dechlor like our De-Tox Plus to your aquarium water for the entire size of your aquariun before you add your new tap water, Exp: 100 gallon aquarium remove 25 gallons, add enough dechlor to the aquarium for 100 gallons then add the 25 gallons of tap water.

Now one part i'm confused about and perhaps you all could enlighten me a bit is this...is he saying add the dechlor into the tank then add the untreated water into the tank?? Does anyone else do this?? If this is safe then that would make my live infinitely easier cause then I could bring my hose to the tank and just let it flow........Thoughts???

I think in general the declorinator is added to the water before it gets into the tank..... However I have to confess that I do sometime use the hose to fill my 135gal then add the declor. I haven't had any problems yet but it is risky sometimes.

I always dump about a capful of Prime in my 29 gallon and then add water with my Python.

I wouldn't feel comfortable dragging my hose in from outside to fill because I can't control the temp.

The procedure I follow is exactly as described on goldfish connection. I add the dechlorinator to the tank and then fill the tank directly from the tap. I have had no water quality or fish health problems using that procedure. The dechlorinator works almost instantly on the incoming water as long as it mixes well.

Mine does the same thing a bit -- especially during colder times of year. What I do is just constantly stick my finger in the water flow and the tank water, and adjust the faucet if necessary.

Guest LOW ET

the first post says take out 25gal and add enough dechlor for the full 100gal, it that right? shouldn't you just be adding the dechlor to the 25gal you will replace?

the first post says take out 25gal and add enough dechlor for the full 100gal, it that right? shouldn't you just be adding the dechlor to the 25gal you will replace?

I wondered about this also........AND, what happened to idea of letting change water sit after adding dechlorinator for 24 hrs. or more? I have always done this for ages and good thing as only since reading so much here have I started being aware of my tap HIGH pH and tanks dropping pH. Have probably killed some fish by this difference and couldn't figure out way at the time.

I'm now using Buff Up but still let change water sit till chemistry is close to same of tank before water change. This thread makes me think I am working and worrying to much??

myrna

The water conditioner is mostly harmless in any reasonable amounts (you aren't going to over-dose). If you are treating the water BEFORE adding it to the tank, you treat that water (in this example 25 gallons) with 25 gallons' worth of conditioner. If adding the new water directly to the tank, you must treat for the whole tank volume.

All water conditioners have similar instructions. I don't know why they are that way, but I suppose that some of the chemicals may become inactive after some time in the tank, and it is important that they be present in a certain concentration in order to be effective.