"pet Quality" Commons / Comets?

Guest nemo's mom

Guest nemo's mom

Hi,

Thanks to everything I've learned here, I'm happily in the midst of my fishless cycle on my new 46 gallon. My two kids, 3 & 5, are anxiously awaiting the day when we can go to the store to pick out 2 goldfish to live in our aquarium. My son really wants a common or comet, as our deceased goldfish, Nemo (RIP), was a common that he won at the county fair.

Now, Nemo lived happily about 18 months in a 10 gallon tank, until I unsuspectingly added a "gift" fish, and both of them ended up dead. However, the more I read about commons and comets being raised just for feeder fish, and poorly cared for, the more paranoid I get. I've looked at the pet stores, and, with the exception of Sarassa Comets, the comets are almost always in the "feeder" tanks.

Is there a source for healthier, "pet quality" comets or commons? Should I try to direct my kids toward the Sarassa comets, even though they are differently colored than Nemo? Does anyone have experience or tips for selecting the healthiest fish from a "feeder" tank?

Thanks!

Char

I have 5 single tailed goldfish, and well 1 in our pond which I havent seen yet. I think they make great pets, and 2 of them were from a feeder tank. I put them in qt and treated them with meds for parasites and they r just great fish! My orange common is one of my fave fish, he was only 18 cents but i love him, he's an awesome fish! I usually pick out alot of sick fish cuz i like to rescue them, most of them have made it just fine, so I think u would b ok with a feeder fish, if ur afraid it will die then look for one that swims around actively and is aware of its surroundings, and always quarantine them first. :)

Commons/comets definately do make good pets. I currently have 4 total (two of each) that I have had for over 5 years. My largest comet, Ariel, from a local nnnnnnn, was in a tank with about 4 other comets and shubies when I bought her. I looked for a fishy that did the "pick me, pick me!" dance and then one that did not have clamped fins or any other visible symptoms. For my other 3 commons and comets, it was completely at random. I had gone to the same nnnnnnn to get 6 fish to start up my 15g tank (before I found koko's of course). 3 had passed away within the first week, but the other 3 are still going strong, Ed, my orange and white common, now almost all white. Beavis, a half pale orange, half white comet, and Butthead, a solid orange common that is a bit of a mutt. They are all great pets, each with a unique personality.

Guest Oranda's R HxC

I got mine from a pond store and they were VERY well taken care of and healthy, check out garden supply and pond stores, You'll be suprised! :D

I got mine from a pond store and they were VERY well taken care of and healthy, check out garden supply and pond stores, You'll be suprised! :D

I agree, looking at a pond store will give you better chances at getting a good comet. As far as "regular" fish stores, always choose fish from a local fish store as opposed to one of the chain stores. They will most likely carry comets as pets in addition to feeder gf. The other thing that will get you a better comet is to look for ones who are bigger than the feeder size; 3"-4". As they have managed to get to this size, they will have been better cared for. And, since you have a 46 gallon, two 3"-4" comets will be perfect! Now, don't get me wrong, all orange comets are beautiful! I've had more than one in my life and I've adored them, but, if you see that you aren't finding quality orange comets and need to go with sarassa or even shubunkins, tell your kids a story about how beautiful these other fish are; about how special they are; about how prized they are. You'll be surprised at how you'll be able to sway them with just the right story!

Good luck with your new fish. I have a common from the feeder tank. His name was originally "Tester" because we lost so many fancys to not knowing what we were doing. Tester was renamed Fisher after he survived for 2 years; he's going on 5 years old now and quite healthy and happy.

HPIM4755.jpg

I got this comet from a feeder tank at Pet---co. He was already about 3 in long and extremely active. He still had the green fry color and has now changed to a very pretty pale gold. This fish has always been my most active one--he is constantly on the go--quite a character! I've had him about a year now so it is possible to get good fish from feeders. The other good thing is he only cost 27 cents. :)

I got my common and comet from a cheap pet store, I think they cost me ?5 (about $8-$10 I think?). They went from living in an 8 litre uncycled, unfiltered bowl (pre-Koko's...) to a 90 litre tank with a cheap pet store shubunkin too (largest I could afford) and have now been transferred to a pond, along with the 70 babies they had whilst living in the large tank. Of all the fish and furry critters I've had, those two cheap goldfish were the best pets I've ever had and were happy and healthy, whatever their pretty miserable start in a poor quality pet store! Try and liberate two feeder fish!

Guest nemo's mom

Thanks everyone!

And thanks for sharing the pics of your comets and commons. They are beautiful! Fisher reminds me so much of Nemo. Your experiences and our relatively positive experience with Nemo the carnival fish are making me a bit more brave about the feeder tank. Would a preventative treatment with Prazi be in order for our new fish, or not unless they show signs of problems?

We'll see -- we visited a fish store over the weekend and I educated my 5-year-old (and myself!) a bit on the different varieties of goldfish. He is going to think about it over the next few weeks, or however long until our cycle is complete.

Thanks again!

Char