Ok Got A Weird Question

Hidr

Well this hurt my goldfish?

No idea why she does this she has two bowls of water one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom by her food but she still drinks from the back of the fish tank at least once a day I catch her up there and make her get down. (Since she drinks from the toliet too I am pretty sure it wont hurt her)

I was always told cats and dogs have more robust digestive systems than people. Cats often drink from ponds and from really disgusting looking puddles of water to no effect it seems unless they get worms later and we just dont know. Like your cat ours prefers "unusual" places to find and drink her water too- the cat water bowl is just less fun and too...easy!!

As for the fish, I think any pathogens the cat would put in the water from her mouth would actually be less dangerous than from her paws (soil particles).

great... My goofy cat won't drink directly from water, she dips her PAWS into the water then licks it off. So of course anytime I've caught MY cat doing this, it's been with the PAWS!!! lol No wonder poor Sam is always sick (not really lol I've only seen Sabre do this a couple times and it's been to buckets of old tank water.. She knocked a few over and now I have to chase her off lol)

My cat, despite not actively drinking out of the tank, still manages to shed in it, so I'll sometimes notice my goldies pooping these long, stuck-together strings with cat hair in them. :rofl

I would not worry about it. Even the cat's paws cannot be too bad - particularly if it is an indoor cat. Most cats keep their paws quite clean - far cleaner than what you would have for a pond.

In an outdoor pond, you have raccoons, heron, dirt, bugs, deer drinking, etc. Pond fish have been shown to be healthier in most cases than tank fish... even with all the other "input" from nature. It may be that constant exposure builds immunities....

I wipe my counters constantly - but the rest of the house is what it is. My fish do not have any noticeable problems.... barring the kitten taking one out to "play"!

i dont see that it would be much of a problem unless he is trying to get the fish

on another note i would not keep my cats food or water in the bath room

the spray from when a toilet flushes goes about 6 ft so unless you always put your toilet lid down he is getting filthy food

this is why i dont keep my toothbrush in the bathroom its gross lol

Mine use to but now the tank is to high. Someone on another board was having ammonia problems and later discovered her cat was peeing in the tank! My male cat prefers toilet water.....go figure that bowl is just too clean for him.

I have been keeping my cats food and water in the bath room for 12 years. I am not worried about over spray since they well both drink from the toliet if it is left up. And my husband rarely remembers to close the lids. lol Besides only place I can keep it and keep the dogs out of it. They well eat it all up before the cats can get any.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't think she is trying to catch them. At least I hope not. Ill try to keep a closer eye on her and get her off the tank.

my cat dips his paw in your coffee/tea and drinks it if your not careful. beware the feline caffeine addict in this house :rofl

fortunately hes a housecat as I dread to think what he could be putting in your mug if you dont catch him in the act :unsure:

Edited by Blue

OH no that is not a problem my cats are indoor only. Outside cats just don't live that long and I wont mine to be with me a long time. Just wanted to make sure cat saliva would not hurt my fish water. I know it well kill birds so...