Scary-high Concentration Of Arsenic In Water

jsrtist

We got a notice that earlier this year, one of our city's wells tested much higher for arsenic than it was allowed. Apparently it was about 5 times higher than it should have been (don't remember the exact numbers), but they assured us that there was no hazard to us (sounds strangely familiar to "Erin Brockovitch," doesn't it??).

Has anyone dealt with this before? I'm concerned for all my animals, not just the fish, and ourselves, too. I always treat my tapwater with Prime as I put it in. How much is too much, and is it killing all of us??

Well, here is an extract of something I read recently.

EPA issues an arsenic-in-tap-water standard higher than that recommended by public health advocates. NRDC had urged the agency to adopt a new rule of 3 parts (arsenic) per billion, the lowest level that EPA studies show is technically and economically feasible to achieve. That standard still presents cancer risks 10 times higher than the level EPA considers acceptable in regulating other water contaminants. The agency has received more than 57,000 comments from Americans calling for a 3-parts-per-billion standard.

Here are a couple of links which provides a charts and other info

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/qarsenic.asp#health

http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/fact...rsenicwater.htm

This should get you up to speed. - Worth reading, as the Bush administration has a very bad track record for hiding water safety records and information pertaining to contamination.

I don't know if your readings will prove unacceptable, but if so, I was going to ask if you could bottle it for me to give to my mother-in-law?

I don't know if your readings will prove unacceptable, but if so, I was going to ask if you could bottle it for me to give to my mother-in-law?

LMAO Pixie!! Things are that bad huh :rofl

RO systems will get rid of arsenic. You can also try something called point of entry: by adding chlorine to buckets of waiting water you can oxidise arsenic into harmless arsenate (called anion exchange) apparantly. You would then need to remove the chlorine with extra doses of Prime or de-chlorinator before using it for water changes. This way wouldn't however solve the human drinking from the tap problem- and high levels have been known to cause cancer, skin problems and diabetes, what a worry.