First Day At New Fish Job!

CountryLovah

It was sorta scary when I first got there... Lou, the guy who basically does everything in the fish room now was there (he was there when I was hired as well, I had talked to him a few times before this, not a lot but I knew who he was, and he knew who I was). He told me to have a look at all the fish and he would be with me in a little while.. I asked the manager for a notebook/pen so I could write some things down.. When he came back, he started to go through the basics. The main groups of fish, the types of water, reef requirements, marine fish, light requirements, plants.. It was a lot of information FAST. I wrote it all down..I started to feel like maybe I wasn't cut out for this, but then I asked him and he said I knew more than the rest of the workers that had been there already, and that I shouldn't worry. Just basically, read up, and learn in time.. I was still kinda freaked lol

THEN, he said "okay add the chemicals to the plants" and I said "okay show me how" and basically he was like "read the bottles. if you kill them, you know you did it wrong"... That freaked me out more, cause you know me, I like to be walked through everything.. And he is more of the type who just says "try and learn".. Very different. He explained how the system was set up, how to keep everything running, filled... And then I started vaccuming tanks! Doing maintence type work. I was asking a lot of questions and I felt like I was bugging him but then he would say things like "you are doing great!! stop being so nervous".

Literally there was not ONE customer who needed fish help until about 5pm.. I mean, I knew this store wasn't that busy, but I mean WOW! I was kinda glad, because there were sooo many fish I'd never heard of really, and I was kinda scared to have someone come and need all sorts of fish help.

Around 4-5 more workers showed up that weren't tecnically usually in that department but they knew how to bag fish stuff like that. I recognized one that had sold me my bunny who was really nice named Robbie.

Well, right after that a guy comes up to me and says he needs 30 feeder fish... And I asked if Lou would show me how to bag him, tie the bag, and he said "you got it" or something.. EEK! I wanted a walkthrough! Well I tried and literally he wanted these weird little skittish fish. They were hard to catch and I was thinking "well do I literally have to do 30, can I guess" I don't know. I didn't even know HOW they did it. I've never worked at a fish place before! And barely poaid attention when people catch mine.. I felt really stupid and the guy was waiting and I asked Lou another time and he was kinda just like "you'll figure it out".. I'm sure thats fine with some people, but not with those who have PANIC ATTACKS! lol Of course I didn't say that because I don't want them to know (as they read this LMAO).

Then I saw Robbie!!! And I said "will you help me since Lou won't?" and Robbie came and did everything for me, explaining how and sooo nice.. thank GOD for him, because I think I would have started panicking and he totally just helped... Later I said to Lou something like "you left me hanging" and he said how thats just how he does things.. Life throws you something, you figure it out. That kinda philosophy.. Again, works great for some people.. not my ideal lol

So then it was time for my break.. Well it was way past that but I took it late.. I got there at 11 and took the break around 5:30.. Shane & Tanya came to see me, I went to the chinese place next door and they came at sat with me.. They remembered Robbie.. It's funny because the day I got hired I was hoping he would be working there still cause he was just SOOOO nice.. Know who he reminds me of personality wise? (Well based only from what I know on here how I would picture this person.. )BLUE!!!!! Real kind, real caring, loves all animals. Loves helping...

Well robbie ended up saving the day because after he got there he showed me the little things like how to tie the bag the way they did. Lou did it fast and said "you'll get it eventually" and Robbie sat with me and literally showed me exactly how.. THen he showed me how to use the intercom.. Like.. hmm. Lou is really good with knowledge. He knows A LOT about the fish, and how things are set up. It's basically HIS fish room... He takes care of it all and knows so much (BUT he is leaving soon.. ). It's just...I worry about the little things.. Like, I feel as though when Robbie showed up a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. He doesn't mind walking me through the small things that I panic about..

I didn't talk to many other people just because they were in different areas.. A few girls came up and said hi... One named Crystal seems REALLY nice..There were a few other girls/women(I'm not really sure how old everyone is..) that seemed nice... There is an assistant manager that I don't think likes me very much. I really feel as though she HATES me... I'm not sure if my main manager likes me or not.. Hard to explain.. I feel there is a a group of them that all have their jokes and a certain sense of humor thats more like insulting each other and being quick with comebacks and I don't think I fit in with them quite so well? I think I would fit in with them outside of work, if they had a chance to see me when I am not all tense and worried about work..I'm more like that in a relaxed environment.. Like, when I am with Shane's family thats how we all act... But;s it's because I am comfortable around them, and also not worried about screwing up!! Maybe in time.. Who knows..

There is a LOT to learn.. I feel as though I am soooo not prepared for all the different types of fish. I know soo little about plants, coral, which fish can go together, the requirements.. My knowledge is sooo limited, but... on the other hand. I learned about goldies fast, so maybe I can pick up on this stuff fast.

On the way home I bought a book I had seen last month. Encyclopedia of aquarium and pondfish. It's great. It gives an overview on alll kinda of fish, plants, etc.. I am gonna bring it with me.

There were sick fish, but in a store there not much you can do.. At least not the first day. There was a goldy with BAD swimmbladder floating upside down.. There was another goldy with really bad cloudy eyes. He died.. And another one that was just barely moving today, and died.. NOw there is one left in the same condition.. Most of the goldies in that tank are bad, they are all clamped... I saw one with mouth rot.. UGH..That was sad.. Not a lot you can do when the system is all connected.. I tried to look at them without getting attached. Know what I mean? There weren't any exceptional fish... It's also hard to sell people feeder fish. Knowing on here I am sometimes helping people save their 25 cent feeders, and there I am giving them in bags for food.. LIke there was this really cute red/white one and I thought "wow he's gonna be dead soon".. It's kinda creepy.. I just have to not be emotionally attached. So the best way is to focus on the tanks, and not the actual fish. Make sense?

It's weird going around the store and removing the dead fish and throwing them out.. I had to say in my head "i'm sorry little fishies" and of course removing the dead goldies was the hardest...

I don't know if I will be tempted to rescue them or not.. On one hand, YES! Poor babies. On another hand.. ugh seeing all the tanks connected. Dipping nets from one to another.. No disinfectant.. I kinda don't think I wanna bring home any more pet store goldies because I am afraid of risking the health of my current babies..Not like the store is bad. It's not at all!! Overall the fish appear VERY healthy and clean... It just happened to be the tank with the larger sized goldies that was bad (of course) which makes me like... awwww! But I mea, of course there is some disease.. A few tanks with Ich... You know how it is..

Oops sorry to cut it short.. I just realized how long this had gotten and my internet sometimes gets messed up sooo I just thought "I better post before it disappears"..

Anyway, overall though. Good.. Overall, I think once I am more comfortable I will be okay. I think I will sleep better tonight understand the job. Right now, other than goldies, I am still learning over there..I'm still the new girl...Ya know what I mean? And althought I've got my koko's goldie experience, there I have a lot to learn. But I am only there 2 days a week. I'm not supposed to be the fish know it all.. Basically, I am supposed to worry about keeping the tanks clean, and helping a few customers.. and actually I like that!!! Cleaning tanks, totally my thing! Thats what I wanted. Time goes FAST!.

The few customers I talked to were nice.. Tomorrow neither Lou OR Robbie are gonna be there so I am wondering how it will go..

I'll say this... IF this were any other job, I might be freaking out.. BUT the fish aspect really makes me more comfortable...5 months ago if I was forced to work I don't think I could have done it...It's kinda like the future, god, fate whatever you wanna call it, KNEW I would need this, and almost GAVE me an interest so that it would all be okay... If my fish hadn't gotten sick, if I hadn't tried to save Sheldon on here, things would be sooo different...

I feel very sleepy, but very positive.... : )

I'm glad it went pretty well! I know what you mean about feeling like you don't fit in and everyone has their little cliques already. But it's only the first day. It will get easier from here!

Did Robbie show you how to count and pour the feeders? Whether it's guppies or small goldfish, the easiest way is to fill the catch cup full of fish, then pour and count them into the bags. It's the quickest way. Otherwise you'll be there forever. And I know that feeling about knowing the fish will be dead soon. :( And I know how hard it is to see the dead and dying ones. I used to secretly collect and euthanize fish that I knew were suffering. It's so sad to see them that way.

I hope you continue to learn and get more confident. I know how it feels to need to double check each customer's question!

What were the most interesting new fish that you saw today?

YAY!! :nana

I was really wondering how you were doing. Any new job starts out with its challanges, but it sounds like you're doing great. I worked at a gym forever and trained in a lot of people. I always made sure I supported them and showed them everything, when I was hired the girl was more like Lou and threw me in there...sure it works, but it is SO stressful! I'm glad someone stepped in to help you out :)

As for the assistant manager, give her time. I know personally I'm horrible with first impressions, I'll think someone hates me then we're bff's a month later :rofl

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

I could never work in a fish store or any pet store for that matter that had live animals. All the sick untreated pets would just make me mad. I realize for them to make a buck and stay open they really can't QT and treat fish but .....

Take a special someone to work in those places. I think. Maybe that is why most don't know anything about fish and they have high turnover?

Maybe you can make some changes in time. Or help them find a better fish supplier? Who knows.

I wish you tons of luck and patience.

So glad the first day went well. :clapping:

I think everyone worries about the unknown, when they don't know what to expect. I'm always super nervous before trying something new, whether it is a job, driving to a new town, meeting new people. But once you get into it, you discover you can do it! My mom and her friends are all in their 70s now, and they are always telling me, "you have to keep driving the car, going to new places and trying new things. If you don't, you will just become more afraid, and then never be able to get back out there."

I'm so proud of you, Sue, for getting back out there, and so happy that it is going well so far.

Well, all in all you did very well for the first day. As quickly as you seem to pick things up you'll be an old pro with the other fish,etc. in no time. Especially since it is something that truly interests you. That makes a big difference. It usually takes a minimum of two weeks to settle into the routine of a new job with the first week being the toughest. It will get easier each day, you'll see.

I know what you are going through!!! ...usually everyday that goes by gets easier ..and when you think your brain can't take in anymore info ...it does..I'm a hands on person ...I do not understand when someone tells me ..I have to do it myself ..but with a person to watch my everymove ..I to thought there was someone at my work that didn't like me ..but now she is talking to me more and laughing at all my stupid stories ..it turns out she works 3 jobs and her day starts at 3 am ..and half the time she is in a zombie state ...I also was a person once that wasn';t sure about a new girl ..cause she was really prissy when I'm not ..now we are bestfriends ..and I feel really bad ..I just invited her out one night and she turned out to be really cool :D

Why don't I sleep??? All day I thought "I can't WAIT til I get to go home and sleep"... Why am I awake at 2:30 after 2- ten hour days spent cleaning and scrubbing, getting only about 3 hours sleep each night for the past three nights, AND when my body is used to lounging? LMAO I think I lost 10 pounds already lol

Today went good.. An hour period that was crappy, but overall good.. Lots of stories (of course).. I'm very happy tonight.... It feels really good, and I think i am gonna be able to do this.. Just saying that is awesome...

And of course I also have about a billion things to say back to all of your comments.. (it wouldn't be me if I didn't lol).

Again, thank you guys... Even though my post tonight is short, I feel like knowing I can come home and talk to all of you guys about the good/bad really helps.. I know that you will all help me through the bad, and be excited for the good.. I'm feeling emotional tonight... (hmmm 9 hours of sleep in 72 hours does that to ya). But... you guys are just really great... My life really just wouldn't be the same if I hadn't found this place.. Just looking at this post and all the replies from everyone makes me so happy.. I'm really thankful...

NOW SLEEP!!!!!!!! Tomorrow STORIES : )

Sounds like a job. Politics, things you don't like, things you do like, people that are great, people that look at your funny, nasty customers, pleasant customers. Anywhere you work, and any time you get a new job, you'll have these challenges. Unless you work at a Buddhist temple.

Oh wait... I have a friend who is a Buddhist Nun - and she has all the same people challenges. Funny thing is, there are many different jobs - but not a whole lot of different kinds of people. And since were social animals, the politics and personalities are a big part of the job experience. :blink:

Sounds like you did great. You rolled with the punches, asked for appropriate help, and did your best. Well done. :exactly

When things get stressful, try to look at it like a television sitcom. There's a lot of things that could be panicky - where instead we can laugh and muddle through. Sounds like you have a good attitude. Keep up the good work! :D

pleased your happy with your new job. I had 1st day nerves when I started college now am involved with planning this years xmas outing with the lads :P

It will get easier you soon be working like a pro and you will feel like you have worked in the store for years :hug

So glad to hear things are going well! I remember my first few days of work I was soooo scared I didn't really talk to anyone I just did my work and left and then by the second week it was like I'd been there forever, just give it some time and you'll settle right in.

I think the encyclopedia you got is a wonderful idea, my favorite fish place has a giant encyclopedia that they consult all the time. And as I have always believed, it's not knowing all the answers it's knowing where to findthem and you've made a great choice with that. As a customer I appreciate them looking up an answer in a book than telling me something that's wrong simply because they didn't put in the effort to find the answer and a simple I don't know is perfectly acceptable to me.

C'mon? Storys nowww? LOL

Yes yes! lol Sorry... Busy day yesterday : )

Well I forgot to mention something.. On Monday Lou had added hydrogen peroxide to a bunch of tanks to kil the algea that was growing on the bottom. I'd never heard of this, but he said he had done it before.. He added it to a display tank of cichlids and within 2 hours they were all dead or dying... He did a 50% water change but not much helped..

Then next morning Tues I was there without him.. My manager asked me to test the water and do another water change. It was really cloudy and the fish were gasping like crazy.. It was really sad.. There had been about 10 or more dead ones the night before, and another 10 or so that morning, and the ones that were left looked sooo bad. SO I tested the water. The ammonia was around 1ppm, and the nitrates were about 80.. He had done a 50% change the day before so that made me think they must have been really high before that.. Also, the day he had done it, he added the water and dumped in Prime about 20 minutes AFTER.

Well when I did it, I took the water down, added the correct prime dose (not just dumped it) and refilled.. The tank cleared a bit and the fish started to breath normally..

I went home later that night and did some research. HP is a way to kill algea. BUT you need to use a syringe and direct it onto the affected areas. For that size tank he needed to use about 2 ounces.. AND there was an article saying that a tank of CICHLIDS had been killed using this method because it is more harmful at a high PH with they need!!! (PH in this tank is 7.8-8.0)...

So wed morning I was off but I called to talk to Lou..He said that there was no need for me to do the other water change, and that I had taken too much water out and now the BB's were going to be dead.. I disagreed.. We discussed bacteria and nitrates reducing bacteria.. He said the reason the nitrates were so high was because the bacteria that consume the nitrates had been killed off through the water change he did, and then when I did a second it killed even more. I disagreed again.. We talked on the phone but he wasn't really getting it..

So I went in! LOL I found some websites to show him.. I explained that nitrate consuming bacteria is not normally present in a aquarium set up because they need an low/no oxygen environment. I said how doing the extra water change did NOT kill any bb's because they are on the filter, and I explained that it is possible that he did kill some of them by adding the prime 20 minutes after the tank water... But that the way I did it, should have had no effect..I showed him the site about the cichlid tank with the high ph and death. He listened and we had a good conversation about everything... It went really well : ) And it was sooo cool because I stood up for what I believed to be true!! Felt really awesome!!!

Okay back to Tues... The first say 6 hours went great.. No customers. I just went about my business vaccuming tanks, filliing the sumps, etc. It's totally my thing.. When I got there that morning my manger that I thought didn't like me yelled for me in a goofy way and saId "see you're already part of the family cause I am yelling for you"... She seemed cool that day!! : ) I talked to another girl Colleen and she was really great as well.. Later I met someone else thats good in the fish Section BJ and he was really helpful and really nice as well. BUT he said something weird! He said the only person he doesn;t like is Robbie because"robbie is nice to your face then goes and tries to get you in trouble, and tries to get people fired!".. WHaaaaaaaaaat? I said "no way! He was soooo nice" and BJ said "just watch and see".. LMAO Crazy. I am not gonna believe anything til I see it, but that just made me laugh..

So the other girl I thought HATED me JT came in and she still seemes not thrilled. So I said "do I irritate you or something?" and she said "no not at all". Later she & BJ were standing together and I said something about "yeah I thought JT couldn't stand me" and BJ said "no she's just a ###### to everyone" and they laughed.. So apparently, no problems there.

This other girl Lindsay talked to me. She was there on Monday but we hadn't spoke and the first few times we talked Tues weren't anything great. But by the end of the night I noticed she actually is really cool!!!

I totally think with time i am gonna fit in here... I hope so anyway!1

Between 4-6 were stressful. That's when its busy. Everyone is coming home from work and stopping to get fish. And seriously it sounds weird but I have a hard time catching them!!!! These tropicals Are not like goldies!! LMAO They are FAST and they don't wanna be caught.. I mean... The goldies will swim to your hand.. The trops are like "no way!". I had a hard time at one point when someone wanted 30 tiny feeders... Counting them out was weird. But someone ended up showing me a better method and I think I get it more now. Then someone came and wanted a particular fish and I couldn't catch him for anything. THe customer said "let me try"and I thought "well god that is sooo bad". But then we talked and apparently he does aquarium maintence for people and buys fish for people. THats his job and he sopent just as long trying to catch the fish as I did, and he was showing me different tricks. He said "oh no, you're not a problem, you have to get these fish tired out".And when he was talking to me Lindsay came up and said "this is no ordinary customer! He will always help himself".. SO it wasn't as big of a problem as I thought.

I went on break after that and was kind freaking out and stressed. but when I came back everything was quiet in the store again. SO I think if I can just get through those busy hours each day, it'll be alright. And hopefully things will get easier as I learn.

There was one goldie I wanted to save.. The one that is upside down. The calico ryukin.. He can't turn over hardly and I feel soo bad for him. But when I went in on Wed he was gone.. Poor lil guy..

It's still weird giving out feeder fish...

On wed went I went back in I got a "python"... YAY! I am soo excited to use it...

I am really happy..The job is totally gonna work out for me I really think...

Sue I'm SOOOOOO happy to hear that things are going so well and that your coworkers are nice. That is so awesome about you explaining the bacteria and him being receptive to it, good for you :)

Your story about the girl reminded me of a girl I worked with. When I started working the gym I was SO scared of her, she seemed like the biggest &$%# on the plantet. All the other new girls felt the same way. But guess what, she's a great person!!! We haven't worked together in years but we still hang out all the time. I told her how we were all scared of her and she just said, "Oh ya, I'm really unapproachable..I don't really know why" :P

Thanks Chrissy!!! Yeah another girl that was nice to me the first day was talking to me yesterday. And I said how it was cool of her to come up and introduce herself. And she said that the reason she wanted to go out of her way to do that is because she has been told in the past she seemed snobby and she really isn't!! LOL She said she is just soo used to the place that she kinda doesn't think about new people needing a warm welcome, and when someone told her how she came off she said "oh no!" so now she tries harder to let people know she's okay! lol

I just called social security to let em know about my job.. Scary!!! Ugh I am soo scared they are gonna try to mess things up..

Sue, it sounds like things are going great! And you did the right thing by standing up to Lou. And I'm sure he knows it isn't productive to kill his livestock, even accidentally. You are doing an amazing job!

Actually, people think I'm snobby too apparently :unsure: I think it's because I'm not a real outspoken or bubbly person, I can actually be shy and people mistake it for snobbishness.

Don't be too nervous about reporting your job, I'm sure it's going to be fine :heart

Sounds like your new job could be lots of fun. I hate looking for work though--it is very stressful to try and prove yourself while everybody is watching and judging you. I have been a very shy and quiet person most of my life, too, but had to change when I moved to a different job position. Now I enjoy interacting more with people and wonder why I didn't try it sooner! I'm sure you'll be fine since you seem to be a very outgoing person by nature already. And you can really use this job to help educate people the right way. :)