Care For Snails?

Guest Megan Steele

Guest Megan Steele

I am wanting to get a Golden Apple Snail when my tank is cycled. I know that snails help clean algae but how much waste and yucky stuff do they produce? Also, is there anything that you have to feed snails? If so, what?

Keep in mind while they are fun to watch they are TOTALLY ADDICTIVE! I think the Mystery Snails are the best because they come in different colors & varieties and they are buy little fellows! They are always crusing around over everything. I dought they will CLEAN your tank of algae (I still scrap algae quite often) but they putter around eating left overs off the bottom.

I guess you have to take into account that they too produce waste, but they are just part of the system.

I like them so I keep them! I am the tank cleaner & keeper. The snails are really for me to enjoy!

Guest Megan Steele

Cool! I think I am going to get some mystery snails! Dpo they breed a lot? Because I don't really want a ton of snails all over my tank.

Mine well leave little tracks in the algae if it is heavy enough. They well also eat algae disk and sinking shrimp pellets. I have purple and ivory ones. I love them. I have no clue how messy they are never really noticed but the population is easy to manage cause their eggs are very visible.

Keep in mine they can get rather larger. I have one that is approaching golf ball size. But most stay the size of a large marble.

They are great.

However my true algae cleaners is me and my BN plecos.

Ooooo Megan! Snails are fantastic! But please don't get them only if you are looking for a tank cleaner because they are dirty little beasties. I think they poop just as much as my goldies! But I sure do love them! I have Ivory and some blue Brig snails, and I just love watching them. If you decide to go with Brig or Canna snails, the good news is that they lay their eggs above the water line, and then you can decide if, or how much of the clutch (egg sac) you wish to keep. And there are humane ways to dispose of the remainder of the eggs, or, you can simply feed them to your fishys. Good luck with the snailys! Take some pictures when you get them. :)

Well, if you are planning on keeping them with your goldies, you must take special care to make sure that they are getting enough to eat, even if it means special "outings" into a dish with tank water to have a meal every few days. My goldies are piggys and will devour most food before the snails have had a chance to make it across the tank to feed.

Snails can eat everything that your goldies will eat, from shrimp pellets right down to zuchini. I try to give them a variety of munchies. They aren't too fussy. Just about anything you put in front of them they will eat... eventually when they get there. ;)

Guest Megan Steele

I actually don't have any goldies right now. I am planning on putting them with my tropicals. We they be okay in there? There is probably going to be a bristlenose pleco in the tank too. The pleco won't harm the snails will it? :unsure:

Snails are pretty much poo factories....so you need to be careful not to overstock (think at least 2 gallons of water per snail). They really don't eat much in the way of algea if there is ANYTHING else for them to eat...they enjoy fresh veggies, Kale and broccoli are especially good for them because of the calcium content. They like fresh spinach as well, and green beans...pretty much any veggie you eat, they can eat so long as theres nothing on it (no butter, salt or any other added topping). If you're going to give them something hard (like broccoli or carrots) make sure you boil it a bit first so its soft enough for a mystery snail to eat. The larger varieties of applesnails like Canas and Haustrums can handle the hard stuff, but not Brigs (commonly known as mystery snails).

They'll get along fine with tropicals and a BN pleco. If you're worried about having an algea problem the BN should take care of it for you...they're algea eating machines!

Oh, and if you have live plants make sure you get a snail with the scientific name Pomacea bridgesii....they're commonly called Brigs or Mystery Snails. Any other species (and theres several that look very very similar) WILL devour your plants in a matter of a day or two. Sometimes other Pomacea species will try to be passed off as mystery snails, Canas and Haustrums being the most common, and they will eat plants. If the scientific name isn't posted on the sign for the snails look at the face and edge of the foot of the snail...if you see little red specks then you have a Brig, the other common LFS species don't have those spots.

Guest Megan Steele

I was planning on only getting 1 snail because I am already planning on stocking my tank to the limits of it. When you feed the snails, wouldn't the fish get to it first? Or am I supposed to clip it to the wall of the tank or something? so that that can crawl over to it and munch on it? And what about uneaten food? Would I remove it? Would apple snails eat the plants?

Edited by Megan Steele

I was planning on only getting 1 snail because I am already planning on stocking my tank to the limits of it. When you feed the snails, wouldn't the fish get to it first? Or am I supposed to clip it to the wall of the tank or something? so that that can crawl over to it and munch on it? And what about uneaten food? Would I remove it? Would apple snails eat the plants?

Veggie clips for the veggies makes it a little easier to feed snails. Whether or not the fish would get to it first depends on what you feed them. If you're intending some of the fish food to be for the snails you might have a problem. The fish might nibble on whatever veggies you put in but the snail should still get plenty...when they smell food they can move pretty quickly to it. Always remove uneaten food, regardless of what creatures you have. For veggies for the snails you can leave it in for a day or so though, just keep an eye on it and when its no longer fresh (soggy, turning colors, slimy...anything that you wouldn't call edible) take it out and add something new.

Like I said before, some types of applesnails will eat plants. Brigs only tend to eat dead plants so they'll eat their veggies but generally leave aquarium plants alone. If you get anything other than a brig though they'll eat any type of plant, whether its intended for them or not.

The fish food section of pretty much any pet store will have them...at mmm they have cute ones where the clip looks like a clownfish :yeah:

eep! I forgot this site does that lol. It does that because the filter was set to block those words out.

Often times those stores have less than decent fish displays (sick/dead fish, disgustingly dirty tanks etc...) and we, like the good fishkeepers we are like to vent to each other about how bad the conditions often are at petstores. But, in complaining about those bad things about these stores we run the risk of commiting libel (even though most of what we'd rant about is justified), which is against the law and could get Koko in trouble. So she had to set the filter to block out the names of those stores to protect herself (she's held liable for what we post here because she owns the site), us and the website from getting in trouble if those stores found us spreading bad things about them and decided to press charges.

At least I think thats the reason I stumbled across somewhere on this site before.... :unsure:

Guest Megan Steele

Oh wow! I didn;t know that that was why. But it is true I guess. It was making me mad though when I was trying to post a link of a pic that was on a mmm website.

Guest Megan Steele

You should get some!!! They are so cute!!! I just can't wait until me tank is cycled so I can get mine!

P.S. African Dwarf Frogs in the tropical tank too???