Quirks

whitner

I'm curious as to how many of you fish lovers have fish that have quirky personalities. Do they like to do anything strange? Coco likes to get stuck in between the side of the filter and the tank. Seriously. He likes it. I think it's the vibrations he likes. He does this at least once a day. I've tried putting a plant in the space to he can't get in, but he moves it everytime. LOL. He scared me the first time he ever did it. I thought he was dead! And I have a good reason for that too considering before my last fish died I found him stuck to the filter. Yeesh. Coco almost gave me a heart attack.

Edited by whitner

My comet is a straightforward, "feed me, feed me" fish, but my oranda is definitely quirky. She likes to do headstands and lay on her back mid-tank. If I sneak into the room, I can sometimes catch her at it. But if she sees me, she immediately flips upright and swims around normally, as if nothing had happened! Until I go away again...

I was worried at first about swim bladder problems, but she is perfectly capable of swimming upright, and will most of the time.

Just a thought, but a fish rubbing up against things could be a sign of parasites. Did you treat your fish with anything when you first got it?

My comet is a straightforward, "feed me, feed me" fish, but my oranda is definitely quirky. She likes to do headstands and lay on her back mid-tank. If I sneak into the room, I can sometimes catch her at it. But if she sees me, she immediately flips upright and swims around normally, as if nothing had happened! Until I go away again...

I was worried at first about swim bladder problems, but she is perfectly capable of swimming upright, and will most of the time.

Just a thought, but a fish rubbing up against things could be a sign of parasites. Did you treat your fish with anything when you first got it?

Yes, I treated him for flukes. I see no visible parasites. I think he's fine, but I'll watch him more closely just in case. Thanks. Coco likes doing headstands too. He also likes to do flips. His swimming is normal so I just think he likes to "dance". Most of the time he just swims though. Haha.

My fantail is a freak -- he'll chew up his food, spit it out in a million pieces, and then chase down each individual piece. I think he likes to pretend he's a hunter....

Boggles, my big black moor, will usually just stare at me, completely motionless when he is hungry. Butthead, my smallest common, does the usual hungy dance, but will only do it if he is sitting in the bubbles from the airstone. He is also the only one of my commons that will sometimes nibble at my hand when I am cleaning the tank.

I am sure it is not unusual, but when I am cleaning the tank or rearranging the plants my goldfish will try to eat my hand. They are so used to being fed by hand that they think my hand is food.

Guest Oranda's R HxC

Lilly my Oranda will 'jump' out of the water at night if I forget to feed her in the morning. It's a dangerous habbit for her though, even though its cute.

Angel will swim around in circles like a shark and do all kinds of weird swimming stuff, my telly's really dont do anything though LOL

My goldies do silly things, but I can't say they do anything particularly unusual or out of the ordinary. My little pearlscale, Apricot, though, who died only a month after I brought her home a year+ ago, LOVED to ride the filter wave! She would swim up above the filter flow, position herself right above it; you could see that she was intentionally trying to get just the right angle and position, and then she'd drop straight down and let it push her out tumbling around the corner, then she'd go right back and do it again, over and over. I think the cutest thing my goldies do now that just makes me giggle outloud is, anytime I stick my finger, hand or arm in the tank, they have to come nibble on it like a bunch of hungry piranhas! I'm just glad they don't have piranha teeth! lol!

Dragon likes to do backflips after food. He will see a piece of goodness-knows-what (usually plant pieces) floating around and chase it. It often goes over his head and he does a back flip to try and get it. I think I may be encouraging this behavior as whenever he does it I give him a pellet of food...it's just so darn cute, he deserves a treat!

Also he likes to rearrange the apple snail shells that I have in the tank. He moves them about. One time I woke up to find them all together in the corner.....next thing I know I'll see him washing his fins three times before each meal, or swimming around the tank counter clockwise two and a quarter times each hour..... :blink:

Guest Minion

The new baby fantail I got is really cute. I swear I must say those words like a bazillion times a day. My friend has actually said to me, "Jeez, you've gone fish insane!" Oh well..it's true lol..Anyway my baby fish loves to ride the filter current! I really hope s/he makes it through. I've already started to get attached.. S/he's so cute! (There I go again)

Ninja Fish (my fantail) is always doing funny things. My favorite is his little dance he does when he's hungry or knows food is coming. I call it the Nom Nom Wiggle. lol. My step-dad nicknamed him Hoover because he likes to 'vacuum' the gravel for food. >.<

Ninja seems to do this weird tag like game with one of my loaches too. I don't think it's fighting or anything, but this is what they do...Ninja Fish will be on the opposite side of the tank from the loach then he'll wiggle himself over to the loach and swim right over him. He'll brush the top of the loaches dorsal fin with his belly and then turn around and dart to the other side of the tank and on cue the loach will follow him, swimming right under his belly. Once they reach the other side of the aquarium the loach will swim by himself back to the other side and it starts all over again. I was worried at first, but I don't think their fighting or anything because I often find them huddled all together in the morning while they are sleeping. =P

The loaches themselves are little clowns..lol..I could go all day about the funny little things they do..

I have a fish that does strange things! My calico oranda Jackie s always rubbing on everything and does like this little upside down spinny thing lol, everyone always thinks she has parasites cuz she's always flashing like every 4 seconds, but she's done it for as long as i can remember.