Bleach

Carolinedoodle

Plain old Clorox bleach (unscented) is best. (If you can get it over there) The dollar store brands are cheaper but they also aren't as pure as the Clorox. It's why they are cheaper. I do use them for most cleaning but not for my fish stuff.

Edited by Kathy B

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if it's ok to use that one?

Clorox is unavailable in the UK, which explains why I'd not heard of it, and I can't find any that don't say 'contains disinfectant'.

However, if it's more suitable, I've managed to get some Milton Sterilising Fluid. This can be used for baby stuff so it should be gentle. It says 'active ingredient: Sodium Hypochlorite 2% w/v, and contains amongst other ingredients Sodium Chloride 16.5% w/v.

Would that be safer than the bleach? I'm sure other UK members have just used a basic bleach that contains disinfectants, has anyone had any problems?

My plants will be dead by the time I've sorted this, lol!

Edited by Carolinedoodle

Table salt isn't safe because it has been iodized and has had some kind of anti-caking agent added to it. Most of the time saline solution used for chemical applications doesn't have that stuff in it. Besides, you shouldn't really be soaking the plants in it, just a quick dip for 2 minutes and then let it recover in some dechlorinated water and it should be fine.

Edited by gunbunnyj