Pond In A Wooden Planter

seheap

I was looking around and found a gorgeous cedar panter box that I thought would look lovely as a "pond". But is this a good idea? Are there toxins that could leak into the "pond"? Plus if I did this would I have enough room for goldies? I was just toying with the idea of a pond in my backyard this summer....not too serious! It would have to be an above ground pond though....and are these a good idea for goldies?

if you put a liner on the inside i think it would be ok, but i don't know how it would turn out if you added water without a liner, i dont know if cedar leeches chemicals that would affect the water. i also don't know if it would be too small as i don't know how big it is, but i would imagine the same 10-20gal rule applies.

My Pond and a couple others I've helped build are essentially large cedar boxes with a pond liner in them.

Here's a picture of the most resent one:

http://...................blogspot.com/2008/09...n-goldfish.html

http://...................blogspot.com/2008/09...l-together.html

Best fishes

David

www....................com

WOW! Those look wonderful! Now I really want to set one up this summer.

How do I go about keeping creatures out (like raccoon, heron, coyote)? It's not like there are a lot of wild animals wandering around suburban Chicago but they do exsist! :blink:

I remember my grandmother had a fountain with goldfish in it and she had some sort of motion-sensitive high-frequency noise maker in her backyard that supposedly chased away the raccoons. However, she also didn't have goldfish in her pond for very long...... :unsure:

WOW! Those look wonderful! Now I really want to set one up this summer.

How do I go about keeping creatures out (like raccoon, heron, coyote)? It's not like there are a lot of wild animals wandering around suburban Chicago but they do exsist! :blink:

You can buy a roll of fiberglass screening (for re-doing screen doors) for less than $10, and use it to fashion a light, permeable and easily removable cover by constructing a frame for the screening out of wooden strips or straightened coat hangers.

Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

With steep sides raccoons don't seem to bother my fish. I use a very fine black bird netting to keep the herons away.

I lost 50x 2 year old fish to a heron this spring, up went the net. It's very light and blends in with the water and is easy to take off.

Best fishes

David

Haha, now that you have suggested it I had one of those "DUH!" moments! Of course, just put something over the top of the pond to keep animals out of the water, duh!

One more question.....

Living in Chicago I have to worry about things like acid rain.....should I construct a "roof" for the pond? just something to keep most of the water out of the pond? Or should I just let it be?

I'm not sure about acid rain but ponds and aquariums usually go acidic due to the biological filtration.

I'm sure you'll be able to keep the pH buffered with baking soda, crushed coral or preferably aragonite.

Just build it and you'll fix the problems as they come.

Best fishes

David

David, I really enjoy your pond blog! Great photos. Wish I was setting up a 2,000 gallon pond...

The above ground ponds can be really fun. I set one up this summer, too. The biggest problem I dealt with is the temperature fluctuation. Since it was outdoors, and above ground, and very small (40 gallons), I had huge temperature swings between night and day! I finally ended up putting a heater in there. I took the pond down in the winter also so I wouldn't have to worry about it freezing, or the power going out and having my fish freeze to death.

Here's a step by step process of how I set mine up. It's not too decorative, just being a water trough, but you could do something similar with the planter box:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=68958

Thanks!

I'm up in Eugene Oregon where are you?

Thanks for the link to you pond.

I love the Rubbermaid tubs, especially that they stack! I've got about a dozen of them that come and go (back on the stack) as needed. 4 of them make up the initial receiving/quarantine area in the goldfish garage. Here's a picture from the install:

http://picasaweb.google.com/DavidLains/Gol...929721033054690

Next summer you might want to go up to the larger volume tubs, with the larger mass they will hold a tighter average temperature.

Best fishes

David

My goodness David, those rubbermaids are huge! I could just bury one of those in my backyard and that would hold a couple fish, huh? :D

But then I wouldn't be able to build a nice pond and where's the fun in that?

I am starting to talk to my parents about building the pond this summer (after all it's their backyard technically)....wish me luck!

Do one then the other...

the nice thing about the rubbermaids is that they are instant and portable.

Think of them as an outside aquarium not a pond. That way you don't have a pond yet and your parents will let you build one.

What part of the country are you in? If it's not to hot or cold you don't have to burry the tubs. there are all sorts of creative ways to make the look nice if that's important.

I really like having things above ground (to many rocks in my yard) because it makes a nice place to sit and watch the fish as you feed them.

Best fishes

David

I am from the Chicago suburbs. It gets only into the high 90s during the summer.

No rocks in our yard, but the ground is almost entirely clay, so it's a hassle to dig anything. We dug a hole for a tree and it took FOREVER!

How much do the rubbermaids cost on average? And I can make my own pond filter right? I've seen some instructions floating around here somewhere.

I think my parents would be much more okay with an above ground pond.....

• 2 weeks later...

WOO HOO!!!

My parent's agreed to let me "try" a container pond this summer! I know it's a long way off but it's really exciting!

but.....

Where can I buy a rubbermaid trough from? A google search turns up nothing.

And where should I put it in my backyard? Full sun (would this be too hot?) or shade?

How large of a container should I have for my filter (I plan on making my own)? maybe 10 gallons? What should the turnover rate be?

A good place to get one is a farm supply store. You could try googling "farm supply" and your town to see what is in your area. I've heard that you can sometimes get them at places like Costco, but not regularly.

As to where to put it, a bit of sun is good, but I wouldn't put it where there will be sun all day long.

• 5 months later...

I thought I would dig up this thread again because I think I found my container for my pond. I am going to start building it as soon as I get home this weekend! I am so excited!

http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Commer...rackURL=froogle