Fin Rot?

Chrissy_Bee

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.2, Kh around 3 drops on API drop test (I'm buffering to bring that up)

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.0, Kh of 0ish

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 21 C (70 F)

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallon, running 4 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquaclear 50 and Aquaclear 300

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 25% about every 4-5 days

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 4 fish, smallest about 1.5 inches, largest about 6 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime, Kh booster

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? 1-2x a day, progold, gel food, orange, hikari lionhead, brocolli, peas

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Edwin (the oranda) about a weeks ago

[*]Any medications added to the tank? nope

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? see below

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? see below

I just fed the fish fam and noticed Edwin's pectoral fin doesn't look good, I think it's fin rot (gasp!!!!). I've never had a healthy fish contract this before, but he was very tattered when I got him. He had salt and prazi in QT and just came out about a week ago now. Here's the best pic I could get

IMG_2647.jpg

Could it just be a healing injury, it could possibly be a bite mark. The ends are white though, and that's scaring me. This is the first I noticed of it, his fin was definatly fine when I put him in the tank last week, I just checked the pics I took.

Edited by Chrissy_Bee

I agree with Heidi...salt would definitely help a ot with the healing... :) ..and feed nutritious food..Lynda suggested frozen bloodworms to me..it has a good amount of protein..

I hope Edwin feels better... :heart

When was the last time you did a 100% water change? Even though the water parameters are good and you're doing everything right, if you don't do a very large or complete water change from time to time, those nasty bad bacteria can accumulate and cause trouble. Even though you're doing water changes every 4-5 days, 25% isn't much, so a 100% water change might be in order.

When was the last time you did a 100% water change? Even though the water parameters are good and you're doing everything right, if you don't do a very large or complete water change from time to time, those nasty bad bacteria can accumulate and cause trouble. Even though you're doing water changes every 4-5 days, 25% isn't much, so a 100% water change might be in order.

I totally missed this reply, thaks Lynda! I'd been thinking I was getting a python last month and was holding out to do a big waterchange for that...I didn't get it so it has been a while. I know 25% is small, I think I got in the habit because my perams have been SO great since I set up my big tank, I was used to struggling to keep things healthy in my 30 gallon...I guess I just let myself get too comfortable :P

The tank is barebottom and I did a complete filter cleaning about 4 days ago, but that doesn't mean the water's not holding some nasties. Edwin doesn't look any worse, thankfully, but tonight I'm going to have to suck it up and do a big water change :cry