Sitting At The Bottom

seheap

I just bought a new fishie yesterday and put her in QT. I didn't feed her anything until this morning at about 11 and then did a water change and started the salting. However, she is sitting on the bottom of the tank. She doesn't really swim around all that much, which is odd because in the store she was extremely active. Does this sound like a problem? or is she just getting used to her surroundings? O yes....the box.....

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 5ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? yesterday it was 7.1

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? heater set to 74oF

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallon QT running for about a week.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? not sure, it's a cheap-o filter for the QT because that's all I could afford

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? everyday 3gal

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 ryukin about 3in

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime dechlorinator, salted to .1%

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? twice a day

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? yes...her....

[*]Any medications added to the tank? not yet

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no physical signs

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? staying at the bottom and not eating

I am certain that the not eating is because she doesn't realize the little pellets I keep "throwing" at her are food. I'm pretty sure she has only been exposed to floating food at the LFS. I have to make sure I aim really well so the Hikari falls right in front of her nose. (is there a better way I can do this?)

Hm, could be that she is just acclimating herself to the new surroundings, Ryukingirl. I would just give her some rest, maybe turn the lights off and watch her. With a fish store and so many fish, you never know where the pH was in the store. Or the water was a bit warmer due to all the tank lights being on, and the heaters running in the tropicals tank. with a central filtration system in the store, it all gets evenly spread throughout all the tanks. Unfortunately, so do parasites.

She doesn't have any outward signs of anything, right? Although almost 100% you can bet that she brought something parasitic home from the store - most fish have something on them one way or the other -, so we want to try to keep her immune system up. Maybe put a little salt into her tank, just as a tonic. 1 Teaspoon per gl would be fine enough - no cooking salt however. Rock salt, aquarium salt, that kind of stuff. :)

From the parameter readings I would guess that the filter is cycled, yes? Just making sure, since is only be running for a week. :)

I see you are already getting great advice from Andrea! : ) I would just like to add that because of the likelihood of bringing parasites home with you from the pet store, a lot of people treat new fish when they are in QT to be safe with 0.3% salt and Prazi.. The two combined knock out a good portion of parasites.. Hopefully your fish is just needing time to adjust, but parasites can cause similar behavior.. It may be wise to continue to raise the salt in 0.1% incremenents 12 hours apart until it reaches 0.3%, and see if you can get your hands on some prazi.. (You can get it at goldfishconnection. com, or you can get the liquid form on many online stores, and even some regular stores). I think that's your preference. Some people prefer to treat all new fish, some only if symptoms show. Just something to consider :)

On the OTHER hand, some fish have problems WITH salt. (not often, but it does happen!) Sooo, if you noticed this after the salt was added, or if it gets worse as the salt gets higher, you would want to remove it with water changes..

Just have to concur with everything that's been said here. Salt, unless you see a possible negative reaction to it, prazi, no lights and lots of rest. I've had my fat ranchu for about a month and a half now and she's only now starting to be the least bit social and she's still very sedentary much of the time. Even if you have great water readings and everything is perfect, there's still many differences between what your fish was first used to where it was bred, then at the fish store and finally to your store and it's just going to need time to rest, recuperate and adjust.

Thanks everyone! she seems to be doing better now. She is swimming more, but she does still sit on the bottom every once in a while. I went to the LFS and they had prazi on the shelf! I was kind of surprised because everyone on koko's had to order it online! I am going to try to do the instructions on the main page of koko's http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Effective Quarantining.html only I have to heater set lower and I remember reading not to use medicated fish food if the fish isn't actively sick as it won't work as well when you really need it. Does this sound like a good idea? If anything happens to her I will post immediately! I'm kinda being crazy since this is my first QT....

Yes, definitely don't feed med food unless it's really needed and if it's started, you have to continue to feed it for the prescribed period of time. Prazi treatment is quick and easy. Only 5-7 days, unless the fish appears like it may still be having troubles after the treatment ends and then you just repeat the treatment after a 3-5 day rest. Make sure you test your water daily so that you can deal with any problems that may arise with that as pristine water is extra important when you're treating fish, even just as a preventative measure.