Festival Of Fishkeeping

claire_uk

Less than a week to go and I cant wait. I am going Friday til Sunday and looks like it will be better than last year, more goldies.!! Plus I get to see the others from last year too, which will be good.

Guest Puddle Jumper

Where is this being held?

I'm in the UK but having found out where from, and how, the goldfish sold in the pet shops are brought to this country, I won't buy any more - I'd love to find somewhere to get homebred ones from.

Thank you Ranchugirl.

Yes a lot if not all of pet shop fish are imported. It depends what fish you want, if you want goldies, you could look into the Goldfish Society of GB and see if any of their members have what fish you want.

The Festival is this weekend at Hayling Island, Havant.

Yeah, puddlejumper, the goldfish society, like claire said is probably the best place you can look for homebred fish. They have the biggest goldfish show in the UK in september october time in essex, you can probably pick up a few good ones from there. Or just join the society, get in contact with people :)

Well that was an excellent weekend, a lot more goldfish and excellent quality, not bad prcies either really. The show was in more space, but some of the stalls were a bit of let down compared to last year, but overall I loved the whole thing.

Some of the others got some fish, I couldnt as I had a 6 hour train journey!! lol

lol, ok I will post pics for the 3rd time today in the photo section, will split it between tropical and goldies!

Hey Claire :D I just looked at the pics in 'photos' which are amazing - I love Lucy's little fish, too. Are these fish imported or home-bred? I just loved the pile of bubble-eyes - I used to find them very grotesque and over-bred looking, but just lately I've started to really like them. There are absolutely no nice fish around near me and I want to buy a couple of new ones. There seems to be a big shut down on fancies at the moment due to many of the fish farms having been afflicted by SVC. I was wondering if you had any numbers and addresses of UK suppliers/breeders from the show. I'd really like to get a couple of ranchus or telescopes.

Hi hun, long time no speak!! I think all the fancies were imported by Star Fisheries, try fancygoldfish.org that is there website and they have some really good fish, it is ?20 per box for shipping though.

The tropical fish seemed to be the ones that were home bred.

I am a memeber of goldfish society of GB and they have contacts for UK breeders, try checking them out they are quite helpful.

There were some amazing fish at the show, the fancies in the pond area were huge!!

The bubbles were very cute in their little pile, they kept doing that over the weekend. I havent seen that many fish around here lately either, there are a lot of Black moors though for some reason.

No problems, Star Fisheries went to China and picked all the fish they wanted, not sure when there next trip is planned, but you might be able to request fish.

Ill PM you with an update on Bluey, so as not to get off topic.

Hey - just wanted to say that I have arranged to visit Star Fisheries at the w/end. Thanks, Claire!

They can ship anywhere and seem to have a wide selection of fish.

Once I've been and spoken the the owner, I'll post up all their details; there is nothing decent in the aq stores right now, so this may be a good way for people to find the fish they really want, in good condition and quarantined, too.

As I said, the pics in the photo section are mainly of the fish available from Star Fisheries. Let me know how it goes, they seemed very helpful at the festival.