Is This A Rare Find?

Guest babuvt

Guest babuvt

Hi,

I recently spotted a Black Oranda with no dorsal fin in one of the local stores.Below is the picture of the fish.Can you please let me know if this is a rare find or a to be culled specimen which I can ignore.Unfortunately this is the only best shot that I could take.

post32041223091739jy8.jpg

Cheers

Babu

I've never seen one before. That is rare. I wonder if it's just some kind of birth defect. As long as it doesn't effect his swimming...

Looks like a lionhead to me...not too uncommon but it looks like a very nice fish, especially with that tail being long. Thats something that I haven't seen much of

I've seen these before, sometimes they are called longfin lionheads. Gorgeous fish, and I've never seen one in this nice color before! I'm not sure how rare they are, but they certainly are uncommon. I've only seen three.

Its great to see a nice specimen like that! And yes, it usually would be called a regular lionhead, but with the long finnage, it is something special you don't see every day. Plus there isn't a single knick as an indication of a dorsal fin, which is highly desired. So many dorsalless fish have tiny growth of a dorsal fin, and it just isn't pretty.

Plus the color is somewhat hard to come by - orange or red/white is the most common. Anything that even halfway looks like black needs to be grabbed immediately.

So, why exactly is this fish still in the store and not in your tank? :D

I agree! That is a long finned lionhead and its been a few year since I've seen a black one. I had one years ago from Goldfish Connection, and he was a beauty. By all means, go get that fish! :heart

It's a great fish, I'd buy it.

It will be interesting to see if it tends more towards a longfinned lionhead or a dorsal less Oranda.

When you go get it take a few more pictures.

Best fishes

David

www....................com

is it really an oranda and not a phoenix tail lionhead?
I've seen these before, sometimes they are called longfin lionheads. Gorgeous fish, and I've never seen one in this nice color before! I'm not sure how rare they are, but they certainly are uncommon. I've only seen three.

I agree with these responses. I think it's more of a specialty or cross breed rather than a birth/genetic defect. Either way and in any way, if you haven't gone back to get this fish, I would run, bike, hitchhike, bus, train, whatever it takes to get this fish! WHAT A BEAUTY!

NOW! GO! WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Guest babuvt

Thanks a lot to all who responded.I rushed to the stores to the pick the fish but due to couple days of local holiday here,the store is closed.I think I should have first bought it and asked questions later here.. :cry1

I'm excited to get it once the store opens in the weekend.I shall post more pictures once I get the fish.

cheers

Babu