A Few Quick Questions

Guest The Polak

Guest The Polak

Alright, got most of my tank setup now, I'll post pics and see if you guys can help me out with the setup and any potential problems as soon as I can, a few quick questions I was wondering about:

1) Stupid I know, but would it be a problem if I added/removed decor while in the middle of cycling my tank (can't imagine why it would, but thought I should ask, want to start cycle ASAP but still need to decorate a bit)

2) when doing water changes, assuming I use a python and want to add pre-dechlorinated water (not tap), is there any cheap pump or pumping system that would allow me to pump it up into the tank (would prefer not lifting water every week if possible)

Thank you all very much in advance!

Hi, changing your tank ornaments during cycling is not a problem.

I don't know how you could use a python with pre-dechlorinated water unless perhaps if you had a large drum to pretreat the water. Alternatively, if you add enough declorinator to treat the whole tank volume before you add new water, then you could add water direct from the tap.

1. No problem at all. Decor does not affect cycle. Just make sure they're ok for fish use.

2. Maybe you can just connect a hose from the faucet straight to the tank? Just get the fish in a floating plastic container and put the conditioner in the tank while ur fill it up.

I wondered the same about adding dechlorinator with a python (which I still don't have :( )

If you add it right to the tank untreated, wouldnt' it kill the bb? I guess you have to do like Annette suggested and add a big dose before the water.

Most of the BB live in the filter. Add the regular dose of dechlorinator, fill the tank, and by the time the tank is full the water is safe to run through the filter. I even leave the fish in the tank as long as I'm not doing 100% water changes, and they don't seem to mind.