Goldfish With Tropicals?

Guest Megan Steele

Guest Megan Steele

I am thinking about getting 2 goldfish. But I want more than just goldfish in the tank. I was think along the lines of these fish:

Zebra Danios

Plecos

Guppies

Snail

Would the goldfish try to eat the danios or the guppies?? If I do get the danios or guppies I am going to get them large. If these cannot go in the tank with the goldfish, any recomendations of fish that could?? :rolleyes:

Both the danios and the guppies are likely to get eaten as the goldfish grow larger. These also have different water requirements from goldfish. Tropicals are called tropical because they need warmer water. Goldfish are a coldwater fish and do not tolerate temperatures that most tropicals require for long periods.

Some plecos are ok with goldfish. Standard plecos are not reccomended because when they grow larger they sometimes get a liking for slime coat and can kill a goldfish while it sleeps. Bristle nosed plecos, rubber mouth plecos, and one or two other smaller types of plecos are ok to put in with goldies.

Snails may or may not last with goldfish. Some goldfish play soccer with the snail shells and kill the occupants. Other goldies will leave snails alone totally, it depends on the individual fish.

When stocking your tank keep in mind that fancy goldfish require 10 gallons of water per fish, and commons and comets require 20 gallons per fish...minimum. On top of this both plecos and snails are also very messy aquatic inhabitants and can make as much waste as a goldfish when grown.

Dojo or weather loaches can be kept with goldfish, but they need to be in groups of at least 3 or more dojos to be happy and healthy. There are two types of dojos, the standard coloration and an albino coloring sometimes known as a golden dojo loach.

White cloud mountain minnows have the same water requirements as goldfish. However, you will have the same problem with the minnows as with danios or guppies...as the goldies grow bigger, minnows start to look edible. The minnows are a schooling fish and should be kept in groups of 5 or more.

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions just ask.

Guest Megan Steele

See I have 5 Zebra Danios in the tank right now. I really want goldfish though. What should I do? Also the link for compatable fish for goldfish showed apple snails, so does that mean that snails will be ok with goldfish? Where could I find a Bristlenose Plecos??

Exactly how many tanks do you have, and thier capacities? I've seen you bouncing around from idea to idea on the forums, trying to compose a good group of tankmates, but I'm not sure if these are seperate tanks or the same. In other topics, you said you had a thirty gallon tank when someone was helping you with angelfish information, but before that you said you had a 20. You also said that you had several tetras in with the danios as well, and that the tank was still cycling...

If you have just one tank, either have goldfish in it or freshwater tropical community fish, it will make compatibility much easier. You can find bristlenose plecos at some pet stores, but they aren't as available as common plecos and such, so be careful you get the right kind. Apple snails may also be harder to find versus the golden mystery snails and other strains, depending on where you live.

The people here have already given you really good advice and suggestions with the tank(s). :)

Guest Megan Steele

I have only 1 tank. I think that I must have said that I have 30 gallons on the topic by accident. See I was leaning toward angewlfish until I found out how big the tanks had to be. So I was thinking about goldfish again, but I think that I am just going to stick with tropicals. I am on the 2nd stage of cycling in my tank right now. I have a reading of 1.0 Nitrite. I am not sure if I should do anything to the tank, or if I should let the levels of Nitrite stay because of the building of benificial bacteria. Sorry If I confused anyone with my jumping around with ideas, I am kind of a scatter brained person! Hahaha!! :D

Good plan cause trops and goldfish are not a good idea and your tank would quickly be to small for 2 goldfish even if they were the only ones in the tank.

Agreed. You can do a lot with a 20 gallon trop tank, it should be fun for you :)

As for the nitrite, what do you mean by let them stay? are there fish in the tank? IF so, do a water change. Don't worry, the nitrite will build continually until the bacteria is established and convert it to nitrate.

Guest Megan Steele

I meant not do anything to the tank to let the bacteria build. But I think I am going to to a water change after school today because a lot of poeple have been recomending it. :)