Kh Ph

Guest Myrna

A week after adding small increments of Buff Up to my 3 tanks, not there but getting close.

I understand that 6 drops of KH is what I'm aiming for? Tanks are at 5 drops KH 3 drops GH.

Tap water is KH GH same,2 drops of each when color changes, tap pH is 8.0 and drops while sitting.

In 55 gal tank pH has been 7.8 for 2 days,

29 gal is 8.0

1/2 barrel pond is 8.2.

I have stopped adding the Buff Up to the later 2 as concerned about pH getting to high, still adding Buff Up 1/8 tea at a time to 55 gal hope to see KH to 6 drops.

All test readings are good with nitrate being the highest at 5.0 in 55 gal. Yes, Claire all my tests are API. In another post Erinaceus mentioned that my 55 gal tank may have cycled and I think this is correct. Uberleslie also mentioned problem with soft water, from the Atlanta area as we are. I wonder if he has corrected his water to the KH 6 drops or more?

I assume when I do water changes tomorrow the KH is going to drop as ageing change water isn't past 4 drops but pH is at 8.2?

Again, thanks a bunch for your experienced in put, I will keep plugging along! My fish are doing great.

Myrna icon4.gif

Seems like I have the exact same problem: high tap PH (8.8) but KH/GH nearly 0. I'm having good luck with the Buff-it-Up. My main tank (29) has a KH around 100, and a PH of 8.0, my 20 gallon is about 89 KH and 8.0 PH.

I also got some coral at the LFS that I might try, but I'm not sure yet.

Seems like I have the exact same problem: high tap PH (8.8) but KH/GH nearly 0. I'm having good luck with the Buff-it-Up. My main tank (29) has a KH around 100, and a PH of 8.0, my 20 gallon is about 89 KH and 8.0 PH.

I also got some coral at the LFS that I might try, but I'm not sure yet.

Hi Uberleslie, I've put 2 teaspoons of Buff Up in my 29 to get it to the KH of 89 and PH steady at 8.0, I'll keep trying to get it up to 100 without the PH going much higher, that is what worries me.

Has it taken about that amount of Buff Up to get yours where you have it?

My half barrel which is just a few gallons more than your 20 gal is still at the 5 drops KH, 89, but PH is at 8.2 so I hesitate to add much more, has taken 1 1/4 tea. of the buffer to reach that.

I had some crushed coral on hand that I returned to LPS as I don't want to spread it around tank floor and don't have enough room in my filters to put any sizeable amount. I had a lovely 4 inch Shubinkin swallow a bit of small substrate and die, so I'm leary of using any thing that small, maybe the large sized hunks might help problem but than they will turn green with algae I would think, ugh.....

Thanks for your reply

myrna

I needed 2.5 tsp to get my KH at 100, PH stable at 8.0. So it sounds very similar. I think the trick is keeping the PH as close as possible to the tap, within reason of course.

My 20 gallon I used 1 tsp to get the KH at about 89 and PH at 8.0. But that tank isn't cycled yet, so it's likely to go up and down a bit through that process.