Ph Problem.

Bubbleboy

Alright. So here's how it goes.

A week or more ago, my fish Fiona started swimming weird. I diagnosed it a swim bladder problems, found the sources, and corrected them. She rarely swims weirdly now and I think she'll be fine. But one thing I'm really having trouble controlling is her water quality. Everything is fine except for Nitrates and pH. Nitrates are around 10 to 20 ppm. I realize this is normal for goldfish, but I just want them to get better. She's also had problems with her pH, as it's been hovering around 6.0. :krazy: Waaaay too low for goldfish. I've tried everything. I've changed out 9 gallons of her water every day for 2 days, and today changed out 6 gallons, so not to stress her or her nitrogen cycle too much. I've even added API pH up twice, but have had little success.

So what do I do?? I need to raise her pH definitely. I'm thinking about using this pH product called proper pH 7.5. It's packets you dissolve into the water. It's made by "Aquarium Pharmacuticals" so I'm pretty sure it's from API also. But it says 1 packet per 10 gallons of water. Fiona has a 29 gallon. This seems like SOO much to add to your water. I want to raise her pH, but that much chemicals just seems weird! What should I do??

What is the pH of your tap water? Also, do you know the kH?

Some members here have used a product from goldfish connection called buff it up with a lot of success, I use a kH buffer in my tank. If you are careful about adding them and slowly changing the pH they can do the trick.

Wood releases tanins into the water that are acidic and can cause the pH to drop. So can some kinds of plastics. Not all ornaments that are sold in aquatic stores are actually aquarium safe in this respect.

You need to find out the kH of your tap water. If you can't manage a kit right now- a fish store will check your kH for you. A kH over 80 or so should hold your pH steady but anything less means you need to look at longterm buffering.

You can use crushed sea shells or coral gravel to buffer your water against pH swings too.

Commercial buffers need monitoring. You need to check how many packets you need to raise your pH by trying and testing. No one pH recipe fits every set up so no-one can advise you what will work for your tank and your water. There are way too many variables.

The wood is home to many good bacteria that may be holding your cycle. I once almost cycled a fry tank I was preparing on one large piece of transferred wood!!! (Nitrites but no ammonia) .You have to be very careful taking things out of tanks. Very gradually (with everything for goldies) is key. Don't take everything out at once.

Do you have plecos? They need wood, goldfish do not.

What else do you have in your tank? Any stone/ceramic...?