Feeding Schedule

Bubbleboy

Ok so I have 3 things I used to like to feed my goldie Fiona. Omega 1 goldfish flakes, some seafood flakes, and brine shrimp

I fed her the omega 1 every day, and paired it with seafood flakes on one day, and 1 block of frozen brine shrimp the other day.

So here's what it looked like.

Monday- Omega/seafood

Tuesday-Omega/Shrimp

Wednesday-Omega/seafood

Thursday-Omega/Shrimp

ect..

I'm now working on varying her diet more, and am trying to switch from omega 1 to another food because she recently got swim bladder probs and I think Omega might have been the culprit. Because i fasted her and fed her peas, but once I gave her some Omega, she flipped back over for a day. Hasn't since I stopped feeding it to her.

So was this a good schedule? Too much? Too little? I'm gonna vary it more so ya. No more Omega though.

It's good that you were able to discover that the Omega 1 was responsible for the flipping. How big is Fiona? If she's still small, you can feed twice a day, but you do need to feed less still so that it still only equals a full one time amount. So, feeding less might be an answer. Also, I would suggest adding in some fruits and steamed veggies a couple times a week with a day of fasting. This will help the flipping and constipation, clean them out and provide more fiber and vitamins.

Fiona's a big girl. I've had her for a little over a year now (Threw her a bday party with a hat and everything :krazy: Wooh) So she's around 4 inches head to end of tail. I know, I'm going to add a lot more variation to her diet like fresh fruits and steamed veggies. Maybe even some meats like beef heart. She's in for a suprise either way haha. Yeah. I'm gonna cut down on her feeding regimine. Plus that day of fast I'll add. I'm just having trouble deciding what fish food will be as nutritious as Omega....Any suggestions?

There is a good sinking pellet available from goldfishconnection.com called ProGold.. A lot of us have had good experienced with it, and I feed it to all my fish...( Along with peas, oranges, bloodworms, brine shrimp, red shrimp, spirulina flakes.... lots of variety like you said...)You can only get that online though.. Also there is one, I believe Hikari sinking pellets that you can find at most pet stores..

I'll try the Progold. But I'm worried because Fiona seems to have developed an intolerance for flake food. Both the flake food I used to give her (Omega 1 and ocean nutrition formula 2 flakes) have not agreed with her. As soon as she gets them in her tummy she bloats up and has trouble swimming, and often sleeps upside down. So I'm going to try making her a gel food as a substitute to her flake foods. Think this is a good idea?

I think that the gelfood is a good dea as you can combine different food in one and there is less chance of her flipping. Some fish are more sensitive to certain foods.

Yeah it's just so weird that Fiona would develop a sensetivity to processed fish foods now when I've been feeding it to her for such a long time. And I know this is the cause because I fasted her for 3 days, and then fed her only peas and shrimp. She was fine but then as soon as I gave her Omega she bloated. She wrighted herself. I vowed not to give her that anymore, so I gave her peas and she was fince. Then I gave her the seafood flakes. But she bloated with those too. Now she's ok and I'm going to give her peas and shrimp until I make her a gel food for her staple.

Here's the ingredients of the gel food

1 cup lightly cooked veggies (1/2 that cup for peas).

1/2 can of tuna/shrimp. I'm gonna try not to use canned, and if I can't get fresh meat, then I'll go with packaged tuna.

then add 2 packets unflavored gelatin in 1/2 cup water.

Freeze.

This is going to be her new base food.