Hikari Wheat Germ

small_ranchu

Hi All,

I am researching fish food for winter. I am researching that because I used to lose a couple whenever weather change(SBD, Dropsy). My fish are not staying outside though. According to reading Hikari Wheat Germ Sinking pellet is a good food for overwintering pond fish. Is it a good option? or can I continue with Pro-Gold and Hikari Lionhead? Thank you.

I didn't know Hikari made a wheat germ pellet! That sounds very healthy! Someone was just asking the other day about whether you could put regular wheat germ into gel food. hmmm.... I don't really know about wintering over fish in a pond other than you're not supposed to feed them at all after the water drops below like 50 degrees F, but if they're going to be inside, I'm not sure why you couldn't just feed them the same thing you've been feeding all along. Maybe you could get more help in the pond section as far as this question goes.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I was reading koi forum lately and found out that Koi people have different feeding method. (I know kois stay outdoor all year round.) The information about digesting system under different temperature make me think I should feed my fish different food at different temperature. At the cold temperature(65 and below), fish digestive system doesn't work the way it works under normal temperature(70+). That's why I am planning to give an easy to digest food(less protein) during winter time.

My plan is to give my fish Gel(Breakfast) and Hikari Wheat Germ for lunch. Sorry my fish don't eat dinner.