Swim Bladder Problem?

Bubbleboy

Hey everyone. I'll start off by saying hi, and that I've been a goldfish keeper for around a year now. I like your website koko and it's a wealth of goldfish information!

So here's the deal. Two days ago, my calico telescope eye Fiona began swimming funny. Then she persisted to swim upside down and float relentlessly. She proceeded to sleep upside down under a plant to anchor herself. (She's a very smart fishy :) ). I was initially very scared, and had diagnosed the alement as some sort of swim bladder problem. So, I remembered all my readings and fasted her for 2 days, in case the cause was constipation. After that night, she returned to normal. I think. Now she's not swimming funny anymore and the only thing I've fed her is half a pea. I'll give her 2 halves tomorrow and so on for a few days.

One thing I also noticed was her poop was thin, and had bubbles in it. It wasn't clear, but still worried me. Any suggestions? I feed her by hand so she's not inhaling air when she eats.

Fiona has a habbit of swimming face down in her bubble stream. She then seems to "inhale" bubbles and spit them out. I really don't like this so I decided to turn her air pump off. What do you think? Can she live with the aerator off? I don't want to suffocate her, but I don't think her ingesting bubbles is the best thing for her. And I think that's part of her bubbly poop problem.

Please help, she's not floating upside down anymore, but still has bubbles in her poop.

I did her weekly water change today plus a gallon, so her water qualities A ok.

Once again, please help. I appreciate it guys.

Hi...Welcome to Koko's..

I read your post...but it would be really helpful if you can give answers to the following questions:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? [*]Water temperature? [*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? [*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? [*]How often do you change the water and how much? [*]How many fish in the tank and their size? [*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? [*]What do you feed your fish and how often? [*]Any new fish added to the tank? [*]Any medications added to the tank? [*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? [*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

These are basically questions from the above box..these parameters help us diagnose problems better...an experienced member or mod can help you in the best way if these parameters are in place..so yeah lets take it ahead once you have these posted...if you do not have test kits...you cud get the drop test kits..strip tests are not accurate...we here use API tests..it may look like a lot of investment but these are good to have..you cud also take your tank water to a pet store like Pet*CO and get it tested from them for free...get exact numbers and not just an OK.. :) ..hope to see these answers soon and keep us posted.. :)

Yeah, I have an API test kit and I'll get my water perameters posted asap. In the meantime, my aerator is still off.

oh yeah..abt the aerator...switch it on...it really works with increasing the oxygen levels in the water..an absolute necessary thing for goldies...and the bubbles cannot harm your goldfish..in sickness more oxygen helps...let it be on...your goldfish can only benefit from it.. :) ...awaiting the results... :)

Alright. Here are my water perimeters. I use drops cuz they're more accurate. All good. Nitrites 0ppm Ammonia 0ppm.....But there are things bugging me. Her Nitrate levels are high. Around 20 to 40 ppm. I know it's a problem but I can't seem to get rid of it. I'm going to do a water change today and the day after tomorrow. And her pH has dropped to 6.0 which I know isn't good for goldfish. So what do I do??

As for her swim bladder problem, she seems a little alright and a little not. She swims fine and at times shows no swimming problem at all, but then all of a sudden I'll find her floating upside down in the plants like a few days ago. In fact she just did it. I'm worried but I just can't seem to fix it.

I didn't feed her for 2 days then fed her peas for 3 days. I moved her onto her regular food (Omega 1 for goldfish) yesterday when she seemed alright. But now I don't know.

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Well first off you must get that pH sorted! You need to raise the pH of the tank to at least 7 and preferably more permanently. What is the pH from your tap? You may need a commercial buffer, meanwhile baking soda will work as a temporary fix.

Low pH will have fish hover at the surface. The flipover could be all kinds of things and is a question of elimination. It could be related to dropping pH yes. Once your water is perfect we can suggest more things then.

pH up first.

K I'm gonna use my API pH up. Now what? She's upside down under the plant. Frick. She's breathing but....Oh now she's out. But she's having a hard time staying down. I think I should try some peas with a salt crystal in it. I think it might be constipation...

If she was right side up all the time when you fed peas and flipped back when you went back to the omega, there is your answer. I have fish that do not get along with a certain food...they just cant digest it well and it makes for a gassy GI tract.

If you suspect constipation it can be dealt with in my experience by overfeeding (and watching water params in the process) for one day.

You may need to look at varying her diet much more. Watching for reaction to each new food you introduce. Spirulina tabs and veggies and brine shrimp are some other ideas.

Her regular diet consisted of Omega 1 goldfish, marine life flakes (to vary diet) and Brine shrimp (To vary diet). Of course, Omega 1 goldfish was her staple and the other two were only used every other day or so. So she had a varied diet. I'm pretty sure. But what do I do now about her floating problem? Thats what I want to know.

As Sunshinegurl says you get the airwand back on.

As I said you get the pH stable and above 7.

As you said you vary the diet. Stop feeding the omega.

These are the 3 things you must do immediately. These 3 things must be eliminated as cause. Then, we look at other less likely possibilities.

Thanks trinket. I appreciate the quick responses everyone. I'll keep you posted with her water perameters every day. Should I do a water change tomorrow to take care of Nitrates? Or should I wait to stabilize the pH?

Also, I've fed her Omega for months, so why would it start acting up now? I wouldn't know what other flake food to feed her. Foods from tetra are garbage, and Hikari has lots of starch and flower in it, with little or no nutritional value. What flake food do you suggest?

You should feed food that sinks for goldfish, especially fancy goldfish. Feeding at the surface causes fish to take in more aira s they feed which causes bloat and can cause flipover.

Get your nitrates down via a 80% water change at once and try sinking pellets/food.

If you havent done an 80% water change within the last month or so then I expect you need to. Bacteria build up in the water and you need to clear them occasionally. I do a 80% monthly w/c on all my tanks. Fish love it. It is a myth that beneficial bacteria live in the water. They actually need to attach to media or ornaments etc. Almost all the beneficial bacteria that hold a cycle are living in your filter media where there is continual oxygenated waterflow -because they are aerobic.

K Thanks Trinket. I did a 30% water change (9 gallons in oppose to her usual 6 of 30) today instead of waiting til her regular schedual 2 days from now. I'm planning on doing another smaller water change tomorrow and a smaller one the following day.

I haven't seen her float in a while. In fact, I found her resting on the bottom today when I came home from school, which was a reliefe because she's had to sleep upside down in plants the past few days.

Here are her perimeters after the change I just did:

Ammonia 0ppm

pH 6.6

Nitrite 0 ppm

Nitrate 5 to 10 ppm

As you can see, her quality has gotten MUCH better compared to her last check up. I don't attribute the pH rise much to the API PH up though. In fact, our faucet water is around 7 to 7.5. Perfect for goldfish. So I'm thinking this is what raised the level. That and the fact I tested pH after I added API and it had only gone up .2. With her other water changes this week, her levels should be back to normal, and I'm going to start doing 9 gallons from now on instead of six, plus a 50% monthly water change.

As for food, I'm giving her half a cube of frozen brine shrimp. I still need good fishfood names or recipes for home made fishfood.

Sounds like larger /or more frequent w/cs are the way to go then and are going to keep the pH more stable too which will be good. As for recipes and food ideas and recommendations why not check out the food forum here at kokos. There are some great recipes for gelfood and ideas for foods people have found their fish like. Those brine shrimp cubes you have are great. My fish love them too ...and brocolli is popular with most fish and full of vitamins.