Salt Treatment Questions And Kh

MaudlinBlithe

Hi there.

It has been awhile since I have been here, I hope you all are doing well.

I recently got back into goldfish after a two year break. I simply couldn't live without one anymore.

I bought a red cap oranda... The tanke is cycling nicely.

however, I gave all of my research papers to my firend about two years ago. Just things I printed off from here at koks and on the internet. Regardless, she lost it, and now years of my research is gone.

So, I want to look some of this important information up again, so I will have it handy in the event my new fish becomes sick I will be ready.

I was looking for information on:

A) Can someone teach me about the salt solutions again?

how do I make a .01 versus a .02 versus a .03% salt solution. I just cant remember how many teaspoons/tablespoons equals what. I do, however remeber that the salt will not evaporate with the water and that it must be added slowly as not to kill off the good bio bugs.

B) There used to be a web page out there that explained in VERY SIMPLE terms how one test KH and does math in order to alter the tanks PH with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). can any one give me this link?

thanks very much to all of you.

sammie

Heya,

To answer (A) about salting, Trinket has a full, super-helpful explanation here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=60876

For (B) about KH/pH... I don't know if there's a page...check out the Water Quality section. I use an API drop test kit to test for KH/GH and also pH. For baking soda, in situations with a low pH, I've always been cautious using. I add about 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons at a time, let it sit and test pH to see the effects. Baking soda won't really hold the pH stable though, I don't think it works as a good buffer. I use Buff-it-Up from GoldfishConnection, and have had good, stable results with it.

Edit: link to thread about pH and KH: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=65745

Edited by uberleslie