My Fry.. I Think They Are Comets?

Guest robert_brunning

Guest robert_brunning

Hey here are some of my 2-3 month old fry. I brought 100 inside from the pond and i now have 70 spread out thought 3 tanks. The smallest inside are half and inch and the biggest are 1.5 inches.

Outside id guess there are easily over 200+ fry over half an inch.

Anyway id love to know what ya think :P

cimg4877ip7.jpg

At what point will they change colour? And will the ones inside change before the ones outside in the pond? I figured that the inside ones will continue to grow though the winter while the ones outside will thin out in numbers and grow slower.

They look to be very healthy & well-fed. Looks to be a mixture of comets, commons, and in-betweens :D

When they change colour, we never know. Some will change colour very fast, some will retain their fry colour all their lives. I'm not sure whether the ones outside will change first or not. What's certain is during the winter, as you said, the ones inside will definitely grow bigger than the ones outside.

Guest robert_brunning

If only i could find another 10 tanks :P Then i could bring some more inside.

Ive had a few successes in the past but nothing on this scale. I brought 100 Koi fry from New Forrest Koi earlier in the year and they spend the first part of there lives in my aquarium and large unused bath tub lol. But these Comets were totally unexpected and came out of the blue.

Thanks for the comments :)

Guest robert_brunning

How do you tell the difference between the ''comets, commons, and in-betweens''?

They all look the same to me. But im a rookie!

Edited by robert_brunning

Yeah it can vary depending on type, genetics, diet, water qualitty, sunlight.

My commons from May this year are about 50% colored, 50% bronzies.

So you're talking 3 months minimum, upto a year.