Hungry Apple Snails

Chester's_Mommy

I've been offered a hand-me-down Apple Snail -- does anyone know the likelihood that it would land in my tank and immediately devour my java ferns?

My goldfish have been leaving them alone, and I sort of don't want them ruined.

Thanks, friends!

I think I'll decline taking him, then -- I really wanted a snail, because they're basically filled with awesome, but I'd also rather not have my java ferns ravaged.

Alas....

• 3 weeks later...

Mine have definitely wounded my live plants....the ones that survived at all :blink: I only have two live (semi-live??) plants left and they look rather pitiful!!

My FAKE plants are flourishing!! :exactly

My FAKE plants are flourishing!!
:rofl

Well my Apple snails haven't damaged on of my plants, i have 2 java ferns and some other random ones. The 3 snails live in a 42gal, but i dont think that would make a difference. As for breeding all snails are fast breeds, the apples snails lay eggs above the water (on the glass) and i just take them out and put them in a 14gal to grow as they become food for my clown loaches as well as going to stores. But it cna be come mucking around.

Guest pumpkin22

I have one lovely apple snail, he doesn't touch the plants as long as you give him plenty of stuff like cucumber. they also eat algae, which is great. i also hand feed him peas, he likes that. they are very cute, as snails go.

snailmess.gif

Aawww ya oughta get the snail! Next thing ya know you'll be getting MORE snails!! They are fun to watch! Very interesting! AND TOTALLY ADDICTIVE!!

You can by fake plants that look real!! My two "real" plants never seem to grow BUT they don't die either! :exactly Really I am not sure if it's the snails OR the goldies that "harass" the plants. Sometimes I find one floating at the surface & I TRY to keep them anchored into their little pots with stones. So I tend to suspect the goldies!!

i have a mystery snail and he doesn't eat my plants! :) maybe you should try one of those! they come in different colors!mine is a blue one.

Edited by Franky