Guppy Info

El Pez

I have a 10 gallon tank set up for guppies. I have 2 males and 3 females. I picked the best 2 males out of 4 and stuck the other 2 into the 55 gallon to keep the aggression down. I was wondering will they still mate even though there is more than 1 male? i read that you should have 1 male and 2 females for best results but obviously my case is different. Also, will the same male pregnant more than 1 female at any given time? or do they pair up till the fry come? Will they start mating as soon as you take them out of the bag or does it take them awhile to feel comfortable before starting? Thankspic::

post-500-1220751645_thumb.jpg

post-500-1220751698_thumb.jpg

You can see the other 2 males that were not chosen for mating on the left side of my 55 gallon. One is yellow and the other is red and leopard. Do you think that they should be added into the 10 as well? They appear to be more aggressive than the others.

post-500-1220752228_thumb.jpg

Well usually it is recommended that there is a 3:1 ratio, 1 male 3 females. They will not stop breeding either as a hint from there name The millions fish. They are pregnant for 3-5 weeks, and you will see gravid spots (black spots) grow bigger as they are the babies eyes. They can have anywhere from 20-100 babies, 100 being the more mature females. They can also store sperm for up to 3 months before they use it so they can get pregnant without a male. They do not pair up and the males continuously harass the females, in the wild the females will flee to big fish infested waters for peace from the males. They will breed with ANY female guppy, which is what makes them a popular feeder fish.

I currently have 10 babies that are 4 months old atm, 4 females who are all pregnant even tho i have not had a male in the tank for 2 months.

Well usually it is recommended that there is a 3:1 ratio, 1 male 3 females. They will not stop breeding either as a hint from there name The millions fish. They are pregnant for 3-5 weeks, and you will see gravid spots (black spots) grow bigger as they are the babies eyes. They can have anywhere from 20-100 babies, 100 being the more mature females. They can also store sperm for up to 3 months before they use it so they can get pregnant without a male. They do not pair up and the males continuously harass the females, in the wild the females will flee to big fish infested waters for peace from the males. They will breed with ANY female guppy, which is what makes them a popular feeder fish.

I currently have 10 babies that are 4 months old atm, 4 females who are all pregnant even tho i have not had a male in the tank for 2 months.

Powerdragon is spot on. If you see the males harrassing a female too much, please seperate them. I have had females die from too much attention from the males. Females can be attracted to certain males, but the males like ALL females and will try to mate 24/7. Even a single male can harrass a female to the point of stress kill. The bigger the female the more attractive she is to a male. A tank seperator is a good investment if you feel that too many in the 55 can create tension.

I'm not so worried about them harrassing the females considering they are more aggressive towards each other (the males that is). That's the main reason i chose the 2 males i have in the 10 gallon with the females, they get along fine. I'm worried that if i introduce the other males that it will ruin this relationship and plus create a big sausage fest haha.

lmao, if you put in the other males they wouldn't so much fight they would be more likely to harass the females to death. As weird as that may be it's true, thats why you need to keep the ratio 2:1 minimum

I reread my post and realized I wasn't very clear about the point I was trying to get acrossed. When I said harassing, I mean trying to mate. An overaggressive male, meaning a male that will not leave a female alone, can stress her to death. Most males will try to mate constantly with no let up. The females need some breathing space or time out, whatever you want to call it. If a male is constantly trying to mate with a female, or if both males you have find one of the females more attractive than the others, they will devote all their attention on to her and can kill her. Just keep watch. If you notice that one female is getting more attention than the others, give her someplace she can have some peace.

When I bred Guppies, I tried to keep the ratio around 4 to 1. One male can keep up to 10 females (more than that really) pregnant at all times. If you like the colors of a particular male, let him be the breeder if you are going for the fry to raise.