How To Make Backgrounds Waterproof?

jyoti411

I like the idea of using some of those pictures JC! They're really cool looking! Some of them are smeary/abstract enough that you could even paint them yourself without needing to be a real artist! One thing I think I'd do though is to mount the picture section(s) on something waterproof (plastic or acrylic sheeting) and then resin or modge podge, etc., the picture onto the sheeting so it was waterproof. The cardboard sounds like it would fall apart pretty quickly. Maybe I'm just a messy water changer, but it's impossible for me to keep the water inside my tank!

This is exactly what I have been thinking about..I wanna paint a background so bad...but I dont know how to make it waterproof..cos I sure am a messy water changer..and in no time would that background be all smeared up...unless everytime before changing the water I take it off and then put it back..but tht wud be silly.. :thumbdown ..

any ideas Lynda???

If you painted it yourself and used acrylic paints, those really tend to be quite waterproof in and of themselves. If you're gonna do a paper type background, well, I haven't done one of those, but I think you'd have to do like a mod podge kind of thing. There is one type of mod podge that is for outdoor use and is water resistant, so this product ought to be perfect to use! Outdoor Mod Podge. Have you ever mod podged? I won't explain it unless you haven't done it and need to know how, although, I'm sure there would be instructions on the container for it.

My background is painted on with acrylic paint and even when I've dripped down the back after a few hours the drip marks dry back to the normal paint color. The nice thing about this is that if your tank is glass and you want a change you can scrap it off and repaint it.

• 1 month later...
If you painted it yourself and used acrylic paints, those really tend to be quite waterproof in and of themselves. If you're gonna do a paper type background, well, I haven't done one of those, but I think you'd have to do like a mod podge kind of thing. There is one type of mod podge that is for outdoor use and is water resistant, so this product ought to be perfect to use! Outdoor Mod Podge. Have you ever mod podged? I won't explain it unless you haven't done it and need to know how, although, I'm sure there would be instructions on the container for it.

Totally forgot abt this thread... :thud ...I am so sorry Lynda... :hide: ...I looked into the mod podge link you have here..this stuff is awesome...I have never mod podged ever...but would look so cool if I did...Can any kind of mud podge be used on paper??..Like if I draw/paint a background on a paper...can this be used to coat it...or it will get sudged..cos the outdoor one can be used on a tin or some other material..I was thinking more on the lines of painting on a paper rather than the glass itself.. :) ..any ideas???

I like you idea Amy...but I ll have to move my goldies so I will wait up..maybe some kinda background paper or something would be good for now.. :)

What kind of paint did you use? I am interested in painting the back and bottom of my tank.

Any acrilyc paint should do..there is also some paint that crystallizes upon drying and takes shape of a design on its own..this kind of paint can be used only on glass... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the paint might possibly smear with the Mod Podge, maybe, so you might want to do a test first. But, if it were to smear, it would only smear if you brushed it. You could dab it on with a sponge, for instance, and that should stop smearing, if you had any from the test piece. But, acrylic paint usually dries pretty well, so, I'm thinking it very well wouldn't smear.