"red Pest" Disease

koko

• Admin

I would like to bring something to your attention. I'm receiving lots of e-mails, some from your members, saying their fish have "Red Pest" disease. In all the years I've had goldfish I've never seen a case of "Red Pest" disease. Maybe it's a disease that's just getting started in goldfish but I doubt it.

My concern is the treatment given over many web sites:

"It is also recommended to clean the aquarium and adding a fish safe disinfectant such as acriflavine (trypaflavine) or monacrin (monoaminoacridine) to the aquarium if red pest is present. Stop using the disinfectant if the fish seem to experience discomfort by its presence. The abovementioned disinfectants will color the water. Disinfectants can be enough to treat the fish in mild cases of red pest but I strongly recommend that you don't rely on that."

Plus this info:

"used, e.g. tetracycline and chloromycetin (chloramphenicol). Antibiotics can be added to other foods like frozen food as well in the same concentration. If you for some reason can't get the fish to ingest the antibiotics you can try to add no more than 10 mg of antibiotics per litre water. This will however not be as effective and might not cure the disease."

Ko Ko, can you imagine if everyone disinfects their tanks and kills all the "good bacteria" how many problems this will cause??? Plus, finds these drugs and puts them in their water!!

Most of the e-mails I'm receiving about "Red Pest" disease is caused by, just poor water conditions, plain old fin and tail rot and the common ulcers caused by parasites and cured with Prazi and Medi-Gold. NOT Red Pest! Many are asking for the special disinfectant and drugs.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but as an old friend (getting older everyday) I think you should try to calm this "Red Pest" PANIC down. Your members are really going to cause harm to their goldfish. If they think they are having a bacterial disease problem just one treatment of Medi Gold will knock it out. They do not need all these other drastic treatments. Maybe I'll write a small article on our web site.

Your friend always,

Rick

Goldfish Connection

Interesting. I've never heard of Red Pest, but upon searching for it, I've seen many sites saying exactly what Rick posted..

I think the most important thing is to always take things slow... The more I read about disease, the more I realize that often people jump the gun and add meds that are simply not needed and are way too strong. It's funny this was brought up because just the other day I was reading a few books at the beach, and they were mentioning how certain meds like acriflavine will instantly kill ALL your good bacteria and if all possible should be used in QT tanks, and in most cases are NOT needed.

I keep seeing red streaks mentioned with this Red Pest.. Red streaks can come from so many things. Poor water quality as Rick said, or other bacteria infections that can be treated in much simpler safer ways. One of my fish has them right now. Imogen believes in my fish, it's caused by flex. I tried a 0.1% salt, which helped at first. When I saw things get worse, I started on Metromeds and that I believe is doing the trick.

I think when we see our fish get sick, it's soo easy to get scared and want to just add meds. But the more I've been reading about different meds, the more I realize how important it is to understand them, and realize how important it is to know WHEN they are needed and when they aren't. I am just beginning to learn about them, and I am already aware that rushing into meds is NOT the way to go.

We all know I'm one of Imogens #1 fans lol And I think the reason behind that is she is really good with meds.. She always takes the safest and simplest approach if possible, but when a medicine is needed she will let you know...

Thanks for posting this koko. Thanks for the great info Rick. : )

Sue I agree 100%. I think it was Heidi who started the term "shotgun" medicating that we use a lot here. Not to bore anybody but when I came here last September, I had Moby and Florence in a way too small tank. They were much smaller then, so I thought it was ok. Moby began to bottom-sit and gasp for air at the top a lot. Then he developed a small wart-like growth on his back. I went to the lfs and they suggested Pimafix. Well, I used it and it didn't help. Then when I described the growth, they said it was a fungus and sold me Jungle Fungus something or other. The directions said not to change the water while you were using the meds. So I had Pimafix, the Jungle stuff, nasty green water and a fish that looked like a sad black puppy. I followed all the advice I got here and learned that the MAIN problem was the WATER!!! Too small of a tank made the water quality terrible.

I searched and found a used 30 gallon tank. I got them out of the meds and into pristine water. I went through cycling **** like all of us have done. I used NO meds, just a .1% dosage of salt to help them through the stress of cycling. Since then I have made weekly water changes a constant routine. I keep their water pristine and that is #1 priority for all of my fish. That and a varied diet.

I'm not saying that they won't become ill. I have been extremely lucky in that respect. But if they do get sick I'd never ever give them strong meds or antibiotics unless it was a do or die situation.

Its so easy to panic and just dump whatever you think will help into the tank unless you've been on here and learned that 98% of problems are from the water or not quarantining new fish.

Thanks for the info, Koko. I'm surprised that "red pest" hasn't come up on the forum yet.

Yeah, I've never seen any questions about "Red Pest" disease either on here. Never heard of it! Someone's making stuff up for what they don't know! But, I know all of the members who have been here a while know better than to dump meds in as the first resort. Now, new members might not, but we all would be quick to help them to get through any problem the right way.

Baffles me how meds always seems to be the answer without first addressing what caused it. Adding meds to toxic water is like putting a bandaid on your kid's knee and then sending them out to play in a cesspool and then wondering why your kid's knee isn't getting better and is even getting more infected. :hmm

As far as fishkeeping goes, humans are still living in the dark ages. Even with the bubonic plague, "THE BLACK PLAGUE" (evil, menacing letters...ooohhh! ) :o the worst scourge mankind has ever known, all it took to get rid of it was simple, good hygiene. They were slathering all sorts of concoctions all over themselves when all they needed to do was to sweep their house and take a bath. Amazing! We've learned that for humans... why can't we learn it for fish?

There's at least one thread about it, but it's not very long. And again, it explains that most likely it is NOT red pest:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=64796

Baffles me how meds always seems to be the answer without first addressing what caused it. Adding meds to toxic water is like putting a bandaid on your kid's knee and then sending them out to play in a cesspool and then wondering why your kid's knee isn't getting better and is even getting more infected. :hmm

Excellent analogy.

• 2 years later...

I am new to this site and not a new fish owner but new at proper fish care. My red caped oranda is 7 yrs old and nvr had a problem, recently he got fin rot from out going his tank and poor water conditions. He was on melafix and it seemed it help clear in up. Then he got a secondary fungal infection which I had to treat with antibiotics but it seems to have cleared up nicely. I have also upgraded from the 16g to a 47g and he seems much happier. My water is great in the new tank i have checked it three times in the last three days and all the reading are good. His been in the new tank 2 days and his fins are still bloodshot. My thinking was from the poor water condition from the previous tank as i know this can be a side effect. The red streaks look worse with the light off and the base of his fins seems pinkie but he seems happy as can be and is eating and swimming like norm.

So my question is how long does is take once water conditions have improved for these red streaks to go away (of poor water from the previous tank was the cause)? And if they do not go away how long should i wait before getting antibiotic food?

I would really rather not jump to antibiotics if maybe he just needs more time to adjust.

Much thanks to any replies and feedback. :)

I would just go ahead and post in the disease and diagnostics section to be on the safe side. Start your own new thread to get the attention of the members here.

The red streaks will not go away overnight, it takes some time.

My concern is the treatment given over many web sites:

"It is also recommended to clean the aquarium and adding a fish safe disinfectant such as acriflavine (trypaflavine) or monacrin (monoaminoacridine) to the aquarium if red pest is present. Stop using the disinfectant if the fish seem to experience discomfort by its presence. The abovementioned disinfectants will color the water. Disinfectants can be enough to treat the fish in mild cases of red pest but I strongly recommend that you don't rely on that."

That alone should raise alarm bells! Yikes!!

I've never heard of this either, I wonder if it's some term cooked up to help sell medications? There are plenty of relatively common fish problems that display red bumps, streaks, etc. It would be easy to fool someone into thinking a 'red pest' was responsible.