Sign in to follow this  
newbiefishgirl

Bloody Red Streaks And Big Red Abcess On Wen

tap is crazed at 8.2 you see after a few hours 6.8, even with bs...nuts i tell ya.

what is the absolute lowest?

I have been trying to increase and stablize, but with the h2o changes, difficult as one migh expect

sorry i am a pain, hows sam?

Thing is I have that neolite stuff in the qt tank too. I had it in the in tank filter...it didn't really fit. So I just dropped it in the bottom of the tank with the crushed coral (both contained not laying around willy nilly). This morning only .25 amm, ph 7.2

My concern is that i will not be home Friday and Saturday, be home in the afternoon evening Sunday!

Unless I go and get that other tank???? I could try some of the media, but where would I put it. I have bio plates in the emperor along with bio wheels. The canister...?

I think I am going nuts!

I'm not exactly sure what the absolute lowest is honestly... And I agree with all the water changes it's probably really hard to keep things. Did you ever look for a KH/GH test kit? I think it will be really useful for you. They sell them at a few online places. I think I got mine at BigAls...

Hmm at this point, The zeolite doesn't even seem to be doing anything does it? I know things like that work best if they are in the filter box, so the water can flow through. I would take it out.. Once the zeolite is FULL, it rereleases the ammonia back into the tank. So if it were me I would take that out at this point.

I always shove baggies of media behind the cartridges in the penguin biowheel filters. Lately I just use two, (one on each side) and fill the back with baggies of biomax media..

You're not being a pain at all... : ) I wish I could help more!! Oh and Sam seems to be doing okay.. Thanks for asking!!! : )

Okay so filter wise.. What is on the QT tank, if anything?

You ordered the buff it up and are just waiting on it now right? There is a thread about it currently if you haven't read it, I would:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...20&start=20

While you are gone, are you going to have someone feed the fish? If so, you could have them add some prime. Maybe that would help keep things semi okay til you return? If not, the good news is, without feeding them, there should be less ammonia.. I hate having to go away when there is a problem with the fish! It's sooo frustrating!

I have an intank filter...the zeolite bag is brand new, it is just for a 55 gall tank. It doesn't fit all the way. I guess I could run by the store at lunch and get a smaller one...

Do you think just a few biostars that would fit in the back of that filter would do anything? The plates are huge! Maybe I will just suck it up at lunch and go find a tank....anything for miracle cycling?

Since i put the bag in the tank my readings were way better than yesterday...in the am in was 1 today it was .25...promising.

Sorry, i actually see that you wrote that you had it in the intank filter and I must have missed it somehow!!

Oh a NEW bag of zeolite. That changes everything. If you have a new bag of zeolite, I think that's the way to go!!! : ) Had you tried it before? Or is this the first time you tried the zeolite in this QT tank?? I think as long as the zeolite bag is in the filter, even if it isn't a perfect fit, it will work (as it has already started to do).. Just make sure the filter flow is okay, and as long as it is, I think you will be fine... Of course you could get a smaller bag, but the one you have right now really appears to be working!!!

Zeolite is supposed to remove all ammonia.. If it does, adding biostars will not be worth it. Because without ANY ammonia, the bacteria have nothing to feed off of, so the cycle will die anyway.. So you either want to use the zeolite in the QT tank, to keep it low.. Or you want to try to cycle the qt tank. A few biostars would help, but they still need time to multiply.. I think you are going to have better luck with the zeolite, especially judging from the results... I added two baggies of cycled media to a 29 gallon tank about 4 days ago. The tank is still not fully cycled...Even with seeded media, it can take some time. Sometimes it's instant. Sometimes it takes a little longer. Yesterday for example the ammonia was zero but the nitrites were high. So even with cycled media, it could take a week or more.. The zeolite seems to be helping though.

As for getting a new tank. That might also be your best plan... With zeolite in the QT tank, that might buy you some time. Then if you get a new tank, I do think the best thing would be to put one filter on each, and split up the fish.. There really is nothing for miracle cycling that I have found. Some people say certain bottled bacteria work. I just did did an experiement, and had no luck with any of them. Amy says she had good luck with Tetra Safe Start. Some people say that One & Only Bacteria works (must be cold). But I tried cold One & Only with no results.. If you switch the filters, I think you might see some bumps, but I think that will be the best way you can get a cycle in both tanks. Then hopefully, with the zeolite controlling the ammonia in the QT, maybe the fish will get better, and you will have a place for them ready with the other 3 fancies.

Answer: : )

Jack! While you are on, I've got a question : )

Someone wants to know what the lowest a PH can be without hurting the fish.. I know fish can survive at low ones in an emergency. But, what is the lowest you would recommend as the steady Ph of a tank??

If it is stable a ph of low to mid 6 by itself will not hurt a fish. It is the imminent danger of a pH crash at that low of a pH that will kill them. I suppose a fish could temporary survive in a ph of as low as the high 5s but it certainly would not be healthy. For a steady pH in a tank, the lowest I would recommend would be the mid 6s.....the problem is it is never steady at that low of a pH.

A pH crash(a drop of 2 points or more in a short period) is like dumping your fishes in a vat of acid. Remember! The pH scale is not linear but increase in 10 folds. One point drop is 10X more acidic. 2 point drop is 100x more acidic. A pH crash from 7.0 to 5.0 means thay your goldie's water just got one hundred times more acidic.

well that is good to know. they are dropping by .1 not 1 which makes sense. So its not too bad. thanks sue

.25 amm still and ph remaining the same. Good news i guess. Red streaks are slowly fading. But NO change in tak ornament looking fish. Except Einstein swimming better/longer at time length. Poor Esteban is the same. Any ideas on that since I think we got the rest in hand.....finally?

I'm baffled.... I don't understand this laying that they are doing. I just reread this entire thread thinking maybe I could catch something..

I have NO idea why they are doing what they are doing.. This is very odd behavior. But at the same time, they are obviously hanging in there ya know?? You're PH and ammonia in the main tank is sorted out. The Ph is sorted out in the QT and it seems that the ammonia in the QT is getting under control with the zeolite... Esteban & Einstein have both gotten a course of maracyn II which helped almost everything (including the spots, wen issues, etc) but they are still laying around... unless you get their attention. They have also had at least 14 days of MediGold right now. Salt & prazi, you did them both before on ALL fish...This is all correct right?

Epsom salts. You haven't tried those yet..

One thing that stuck out to me reading through THIS time, that we barely touched on before, and is the only thing I can think of.. EGGS! You said they were all over the tank at one point... I have no experience with eggs. But maybe this is egg related. I mean the other problems were possibly related to the move, or the Ph swings then the ammonia. But maybe the original weird behavior, which you are seeing relates back to the eggs????? I'll take a look in my books.. lol Maybe send good ole Trinket another PM lol

I definatly think you should get the shubies seperate from the fancies as soon as possible... That way if and when they need to go back into the tank with the other fancies, it's ready.

See u tomorrow LMAO : )

I am at least comforted by the fact that you are as baffled as me.

Water, amm, ph ok this morning.

Einstein can swim to the top and glide around a bit, but then falls upside down to the bottom.

Esteban tries soooooo hard to just turn over. I usually just grab her and flip her over next to the food. She can do it by herself but it is an entire struggle. Poor baby.

Fish are supposed to swim, not lay at the bottom of the tank!

post more later, got to get ready to go to work and I am sooooo dawdling(sp?)

Trying to do a bit of reading for you, and everyting points to the same things.. High nitrates can cause flipover.. You don't have those... Constipation...As soon as you are done with the medicated food I would try things like green peas, spiruilina flakes.. And the epsoms can help.. Final thing which sounds scary according to the Fancy Goldfish book is "loss of lower body mass due to intestinal parasitism or harm to the liver, such as caused by tuberculosis"..

No idea about that...

I am at least comforted by the fact that you are as baffled as me.

I'm totally baffled... At first seeing them on the bottom like that I admit I thought "uh oh".. But they have been hanging in there through so much!

I know some fish just flip for good.. I guess its possible.. I just wonder which caused this flip..

I think I will ask Trinket to pop back in again.. lol AWWW she LOVES us LOL : ) Heeeey I said that yesterday But I don't know if I ever did. Oh well I am now LOL

well esteban has always had some upside down issues....not all the time at the bottom of the tank though!

Einstein, well I could always tell when my nitrates got a little high by watching her and Artemis. They would be at 30 and they would get flippy....so water change. I jsut have too many fish in that tank! BAD fish mom.

but when you are on the verge of moving....I didn't want to have to move 3 tanks. good grief.

It was just after we moved that all this crap came up!!

I got home and the ph had dropped in my 55 gall from 7.2 to 6.2

My oranda artemis looks like the other fish have been eating her wen....did the ph do this or the other fish?

AAAGH! Can anything else go wrong?

I put her in my QT tank with Esteban & Einstein again

What should I do with her wen????

a ph crash can peel off the slime coat on a fish ..but it would effect all fish ...have you seen the others pick on the Oranda ..??..what have you done about the dropping ph ?? baking soda is a temporary fix but kh should be checked as it helps stabilizes ph ..anything under 100 should be adressed using crushed coral will bring up kh ...as for the Oranda ..salt up to 0.3 % slowly 12 hours between each session (1 teaspoon per gallon x 3)..get pics if you can ..feed lots of high vitamin C foods like kiwi and keep water pristine you will have to watch ph very closely a crash can happen soooo fast hope I have helped a bit

i added bs and have crushed coral in there....have to see my other stupid thread.

no there is one fish that was chasing her this morning...but my gosh 1/2 of her wen is eaten off...the whole top part

will it heal itself?

feeding medigold

I HATE that other fish why would it do that

sometimes other fish just find it appealing ...sometimes they keep at it and sometimes they don't ...do you think this could be breeding behaviour ..I have a male that dosnt care what end he picks at ...as long as he is pestering he is happy ...plus once a sore becomes open it will be more appealing to the other fish ...if you find it a constant problem you could devide the 55 but for now ..keep him seperate until he is healed ..now that you have started the medigild be sure that is all you are feeding him and finish the treatment ...I think he will be ok just ...I would even get peroxide and swab the area, just once

So the peroxide won't hurt him since the whole top of the wen has been eaten away on both sides?

eating of the wen going to mess up my going on 3 weeks with medigold?

I have a few fine words that the fish is getting called...he is a bully and his name is Lucy. Somehow i name all my girl fishes boy names and boy fishes girl names...except for artemis...she seems happy enough in the qt tank with my tank ornament fish

This sucks!

Edited by newbiefishgirl

It will help kill any bacteria that may be there ..be sure to only swab the area do not get any in his eyes gills or mouth .I have done this to many sores that I have battled in the past ..and salt and keep water pristine ..it should help :) ...I use Q tips it help to keep the peroxide on the area only

Edited by hi-d

thanks hi-d

as i am still freaking out you are a big help.....and I am so wanting to throw Lucy in the pond and let him fend for himself....at first it was the back yard for the birds......I have been threw sooooooo much with these crazy fish then to have them cannibilize each other...drama, drama and more drama

My neighbors probably think my bf is beating me since I walked to the mailbox sobbing in tears, i just spent way too much money on getting two new filters and a new tank to put the jack-a-lope fish in

venting..sorry :cry1

stabilized 55 gall tank with bs for ph...amm 0 what is up with that

can a single fish body chemistry change the water ph...that tank was holding steady until i put her back in there after a week of marycyn 2

I just don't know if the qt 20 gall tank can hold the 3 fish while i am gone this weekend.

I don't have a filter that will fit on a rubbermaid

ideas? 7 fish...55 gall tank with 4 fish in it

20 qt with 3 fish

rubbermaids, but no filters to fit it

new tank on its way, should be here on tuesday

I have had an extra fish from time to time ...is it possible to move one of the uninjured fish to the 55 ???...depending on size of the fish 3 in a 20 can be done as long as the work is being done ...but water issues concern me the more ammonia output the aciddic the water will be and you may risk a crash if the water source is unstable ....you could put one of the others in the 55 or devide the 55 and put the oranda back in....It is hard to say why your ph dropped ...kh is a reason ..feeding to much (making more waste)...(I'm just throwing Ideas)..possibly the water source you use has changed ..I would be testing that as well

Edited by hi-d

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/n...atenfish004.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/n...atenfish005.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/n...atenfish006.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/n...atenfish007.jpg

Here are some pictures from different angles.

There is NO WAY IN HEii I am putting them in that tank with the maneater!

The other fish are just fodder for that guy. They are upside down, laying on their side at the bottom of the tank. Einstein can swim to the top for a few seconds then falls to the bottom. Esteban can barely flip over.

If I put one of those kiddos in the big tank there wouldn't be anything left of them when I got home.

This is so frustrating! With the move, ph crashes, infections, ammonia craziness, treating with antibiotics, finally getting her at least better then to have the fish mangler move in...i am tired.

ok then ...I would leave them in the 20 ...unless you have a rubbermaid larger than a 20 until you get your new tank ...if you keep them in the 20 just do a VERY large wc and do not feed them while you are away ..I think they should be ok