Bloody Red Streaks And Big Red Abcess On Wen

newbiefishgirl

Any improvements yet? I am soo glad they are hanging in there.. (Oh yeah I got your PM last night but I only had like 2 seconds on the computer lol)

Thanks Sue! I am off to have a lovely cup of coffee with a 50 gall water change.

Feel free to stop by my place and help me out if ya wanna LMAO

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Einstein's wen and side looks a whole lot better. The jello side effect has dissapeared as the red is almost totally gone. She still has red streaks and clamped fins, but at least something is better!

They are still hanging out on the bottom on their sides though. One thing at a time I guess.

Thanks for chiming in with our little friend!

Why are you checking the site when you are at a hotel, nut!

My BF wants to go to the hotel and hang out tonight....but I am worried about the fishies. Not that I can do much other than check water and add meds LOL

:( This laying on their side thing is still kinda freaking me out.

Thanks Sue!

Why are you checking the site when you are at a hotel, nut!

My BF wants to go to the hotel and hang out tonight....but I am worried about the fishies. Not that I can do much other than check water and add meds LOL

You just answered your own question with two answers!! lol 1) yes obviously I am nuts lol 2) I worry about everyone elses fishes. Even if I can't help I just hate not knowing how things are going!!! A few times I stayed home because of my fish being sick.. I know theres nothing you can do, but I hate being away when they are sick. I only planned on being gone for one day. It was one of those "let's just stay and wear the same clothes" things lol

How many days does Maracyn II call for? Does it say you can repeat the treatment?? Most meds will say on the back if a second treatment is okay.. The one I am using says a second course is okay.. It definately seems to be helping though, thats for sure! I am soooo glad!!!

Have the red streaks gone down at all yet, or do they look the same as they did before the meds started.. ?

the red streaks on one side, the side she is not laying on look better. but the side she lays on is still angry. there is some blotchiness too (is that a word).

I will have to re-read the big directions in the box, I think it said you could. Any chance you read Imber's thread on Ziggy? Ziggy is laying on the bottom on his side too? What is up with that? There have been SEVERAL people's fish doing this? No idea what it is?

I am a why person! Sorry. I think the first words out of my mouth were why and how!

I will read the directions again....hope you had a good time!

This post is getting so crazy long!

Ok, the packing material states nothing about an extra 5 days on the maracyn 2. The only thing i can see is that the quote from "chris" you posted about the girl doing another round.

Ideas? Well I can always call the company, huh?

You could try calling them (they never did call me back ya know!) I actually just tried calling them BACK with no luck. BUT I really think that if you are seeing improvements, then the med is at least helping, and most meds say that a second course can be done if needed. And a quick google search of Maracyn II Second course shows many many things saying a second course is okay. So, my thoughts are that it would be fine.. Another option would be to hold off on the meds, and ask Trinket what she thinks. She may suggest a second coure, or possibly want to consider a different med at some point down the line if things don't improve. I'm still not certain when it comes to the meds and I wouldn't want you to do anything that ended up being wrong...

My fish finished her course on the Triple Sulfa. She seems better except for some minor red streaks, however last time she got worse when she was moved. SO I think I am going to hold off giving her a second course until I try to move her for a 100% water change sometime and see if it's needed.

I'll look at Imbers thread, but I have seen that Imo already stopped in on there, so I doubt there is anything major I can add that Imo hasn't covered..But I know she is also busy so I'll see if there is anything small that maybe she didn't have time to get detailed on..

I've had some long posts myself. OMG my first post was seriously insane!!! I don't know how anyone kept up with that one LOL

Ok, finished course of Marycyn2, even went an extra day. Red streaks are still visible in Einsteins tail but Wen and side infections have cleared up.

There is no improvement in fin clamping or side laying for either of them.

White Poo still clearly visible after 2 weeks of medigold? :(

• Admin

Keep feeding the Medigold for another 2 weeks....How is the ammonia in the tank, red streaks can mean high ammonia or nitrites in the tank....When was the last water change?

I have them in a QT tank since they are laying on the bottom. I have been doing daily 80% water changes since the meds made the water murky and since the medicine only lasts for a 24 hour period. I do my water changes just before I would dose for the evening. Same time all the time.

Do I need to be doing 2 times daily again?

Can I try the epsom salt again since I am done with Marycyn2 or ...????????

I will stop overthinking and wait. Thanks!!

Edited by newbiefishgirl

We are in the same situation. For me the meds have cleared up everything but some of the red streaks. Trinket said that streaks may be worse if the fish is stressed (which clearly they are if they are recovering from sickness). She said to keep up with the clean water (and like Koko said make sure that means no ammo or nitrites) and hopefully with nice water, the streaks will begin to fade in time.. I also asked if I should do a second course on the meds and she said she wouldn't.. She said the red streaks could be from a different bacteria and in both my case and your case, the meds we used treated the infections we used them for (the wen and side for you, and the blood spots for me)...

Also, I asked about how long to do the meds too, and I am also going to to the full 30 days! : ) (Like koko said to you, and Trinket said to me) So now, we wait and hope that our fish keep getting better it looks like! : )

• Admin

You have a test for ammonia....Im wondering if its high since its not a cycled tank....I can really say if you need to do 2 times a day with out a number....Is there a filter in this QT for aeration?

Right now if you havent done a water change i would do one but also get a reading this will help hun :)

exactly!

main tank seems to be fine. I need to check my levels in it again. I was waiting for the new water and the old water to blend/sit whatever you call.

I can't believe my QT tank! If my levels are fine I am moving Artemis back now that dosing is done. She seems fine. She needs to be with healthy fishies she is sooooo worried about Einstein.

I think I spent 4 hours this morning changing water in the 55 gall and the qt. I need a break!

My levels are fine in the big tank. 0am 0 no2, 7 no3. ph 7.5

I put Artemis back in that tank since she is done with meds.

I will check levels in QT again in a few hours. How in the world does it get like that?

The red streaks and bloody splotches on Einstein look like the pictures you took of Sam, only worse! But that could be from the ammonia. She has always been real sensitive showing signs other than the other fish to ammonia.

I am a BAD fish mom! Ugh.

Yes I have a filter and an air stone in the QT tank.

Edited by newbiefishgirl

You're not a bad fish mom, and you know that!! It's just gets hard and confusing at times!!!!

I think you did the right thing by moving him back into the main tank, in fact I was going to suggest it..... Right now the ammonia is just too high in the QT tank and that could be making all the work and meds you've done/used useless.

Okay so just to be clear now.. How many fish in the main tank, and how many in the qt (if any) and a current update on both of their behavior : )

I would if it was me, get maracyn 2 and feed him Medigold...Sounds like a bacterial infection hun...I would keep up the other things your doing but these two meds will help clear it up :)

Yes you're right Koko. I've had this happen before and it turns out it was something called hemmoragic septicemia. I don't know if I spelled that right but that's what it is. I used a medication by api specifically designed to treat those red ulcer things you mentioned. I think it was called tc tetracycline. If it's not that, it was something like it. Sorry if I'm no help.

Try #2

Changed water in QT tank 100% again this morning. Ammonia at 1.

UGH!

2 in QT 20 gall - ph ok

5 in 50 gall

levels in regular tank good. ph was a little low this morning. added baking soda. I need to get that buff it up in the mail!

50 gall tank fish seem fine, they are swimming a little eratically and stay at one end of the tank which i think is weird? But they have been weird since we moved.

Fishies in QT still the same, they seem to have a bit more energy....gee I wonder why, they aren't suffocating it horrible water!

Hmm okay question. When the fish are done in the 20 gallon QT where are they going to go? Or is this going to be their permanent home... Or do you have another tank that is just not set up.

You ammonia levels really are throwing me off. I have never seen ammonia climb THAT fast. I have 2 fish in a 29 gallon and when it wasn't cycled, they only produced about 0.25ppm of ammonia each day.

I know this is crazy work, but have you considering trying rubbermaids, and seperating them??? Maybe that would help, because right now the bad water seems to be the most important thing to change...

I seriously don't understand the ammonia being sooooo insane.. We already discussed feeding and you aren't feeing them excessivly from what I can tell..

Well I have been putting off going and getting my other tank. I actually went to the store to get one and couldn't get the other half to answer the dang !!@#@ Phone to see if having a different style stand would be ok with him...they are in the entry way of the house...he is kinda OCD about things matching...I digress.

If they are always going to be on their sides...they will stay together in this 20 gall.

I am getting a 40-50 gall tank for my 2 shubies, since they are getting way too big to be in with the my fancies. I just have been too exhausted to change more water.

If by some chance they get better they will go back into the 50 gall with my other 3 fancies. Or that is the plan for now.

I am really really thinking that the ammonia is due to the ph crap-o-la! I am waiting for the buff it up, I have crushed coral in the tank, I am using amquel, and baking soda...UGH.

I have a couple big rubbermaids but not enough...the filter won't fit in the dang thing.

Ok here is the deal.

I have a canister filter and and emperor 400 (something like that) If i go and get the new tank and switch a new filter out for one of the established ones, can I get it going with out too much of a bump do you think?

If I could do that, then I could put the shubies in one tank and have the 50 gall for the other fishes...in tanks that are established (if I can switch out the filters).

I am at a loss. I will check the amm when I get home again. My water bill is going to be sky high!

I hear ya with the water bill! LOL

Oooooh I gotcha.. And I think it would work, yes.. If you have two filters on the one tank, and remove them, you might see a bump. It's hard to tell. I've done with with no bump before... You would have to keep an eye on the water. BUT the thing is, if you switch one filter over to the new tank, you are also switching the fish over too! So that means there will be less waste! So I think if you put ONE filter on with the singles, and one filter with the three fancies you might be able to pull it off pretty quickly!!!

ALSO, what kind of filter (if any) do you have in the QT tank right now? Because maybe if you had a small filter, you could put some of the media in from ONE of those filters in there too. And that might give you a pretty fast cycle, or at least SOME help in the QT tank.

Or you could leave things the way they are for now (because I totally now what you mean about the water changes, trust me) and still just move some of the cycled media over to the 20 gallon... that is if you have a filter in there.. Your plan for the long term makes a lot of sense though.. I'm still working on moving my orandas in the tank together.. lol

And yeah the Ph could have a lot to do with it..

Now I have some good news... I was told that at a LOWER Ph ammonia is in a less toxic form... And at a higher PH it is more toxic. So hopefully right now even though you are seeing a large ammonia level, maybe the low ph is what is helping you here.

7.5 is perfect... Higher PH is okay (mine is around 8.2) but with high ph's sometimes meds are ineffective, or more toxic. And like I said ammonia is more toxic at a high ph.. As you get into lower ph's, like lower 7's, the actual PH is okay, but it may not be stable,and it can drop. Once you get into 6's you are asking for trouble. Not to say a fish can't make it at a ph of 6.8, but it's more likely to drop and thats not good. Uusually the higher the pH, the higher the KH. And the lower the the lower the kh. NOt always. But usually. KH determines the stability of your water, and stable is key for goldies. Thats why buff it up is good. Not only does it raise your PH but it raises your KH. I think it works for about a week, so if you add it each week with water changes, not only are the fish in safe PH, but a STABLE Ph and that is the most important thing...

What is your tap again??