Bloody Red Streaks And Big Red Abcess On Wen

newbiefishgirl

So i did a big water change on the QT tank...that ammonia! added a little bit of baking soda, managed to put crushed coral in a filter with a chip clip in the tank, added epsom salt. Nothing so far but it has not even been 24 hours.

Big tank (regular) added baking soda. added the same filter filled with crushed coral closed with a chip clip (at least until I get the filter out later today....all this water is exhausting me! Got the ph to 7, will check levels again this morning ( yes I am supposed to stil be sleeping it is WAY to early on a Saturday). the fish seem a bit more relaxed and the cloudyness has dissapated a bit.

waiting on my water levels to even out before the marycyn2 is added to qt tank. those amm levels were way to high for that crazy tank. 50% to 75% water changes twice a day and still getting bright green on the day drop tests...didn't even wait to see what it would be just changed the darn water all the way until the fish were freaking out.....and more water and drained again so probably a 90% change. stupid ph! ok i am done venting.

I am just worried that I am not going to figure this ph kh thing out until too late! Printed kokos thread and read trinket's again! The only word that comes to mind is UGH!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man this ammonia is wearing me out! I did more water changes, at this rate i am never going to get themarycyn 2 into the qt tank because I can't control the ph out of wack causing excess amonia

Does anyone have any ideas?

Man! I can't understand with all the water changes you are doing, why your ammonia is still SOOOOO high.

I forget have you tested to see if there is ammonia in your tap water?

IS there somewhere you could move this fish, while you did a 100% water change.. That way (unless there is ammonia in your tap) your ammonia should be down to zero. Add baking soda to the tank to get it to 7 like you did before, THEN add back the fish?? Maybe with one full water change, you can keep them down with the daily large changes after that?

Is it possible you are overfeeding? How many pellets a day have you been giving, and (even though you said it before I bet) how big is the fish?

The zeolite in the filter didn't do anything? Again, I've never used it, but I've head it works..

I did another big change. added baking soda...going to wait about an hour to check ph and amm again.

I give them like 4-5 pellets maybe 6? they are pretty big. I can manage esteban with one hand but it is full and have to 2 hand einstein.

Am I feeding them too much they act like they are starving

It does not sounds like you are overfeeding them... Depending on how big the fish are you might even want to be giving them more... Koko recommened 5-10 pellets twice a day for fish around 3inches...My fish are getting MetroMeds now. There are two fish, so I do 15 pellets in the morn, and 15 at night.

Glad you got the Ph straighted out. That's good. The ammonia, that's just strange.. Did you ever test the ammonia in the tap water?

Alright, I really think you ARE going to need to get something like the Prime... Right now, you've got it down pretty low. Prime, Ammo-Lock, Amquel PLus, all of these can detoxify ammonia...I mostly use Prime. Like I said, the prime will work for 24 hours. You could do a large water change each day (like 80% maybe), add the prime (2 drops per gallon), and then go your baking soda.. The ammonia will be bound for the next 24 hours. You can double dose Prime if you have to.. If you do this each day, when you do your water changes, you know your fish are safe from the ammonia. It really works.. It may not show up on your test readings though. I use the Seachem Ammonia Alert in addition to my drop tests. It detects FREE ammonia (toxic ammonia) as opposed to total ammonia. Right now, for example, my water comes out of the tap at 0.25ppm-0.50ppm (yikes).. If I add prime, it still tests the same, BUT my Seachem Ammonia Alert goes down to zero. : )

And finally, I hope for your sake this evens out soon! It's insane! : ) I wish I could help you out better than this!!! I know you've been going nuts with your water... DId you ever order the buff it up by the way?) Hang in there!!!! :krazy: (Is that how you feel??)

Isn't this crazy. Ok it looks like my ph held overnight...at least on the QT tank but my ammonia is still at .5. I am checking other levels as I type.

I do feed the fish twice a day (they are mad at me now because I haven't fed them yet...I am doing readings first you crazy fish!

I think I will drive into town and get a ammonia alert thing... i had one before but never needed it! I have amquel and use it once daily. Should I get the prime instead?

Poor Einstein's tail fins (sorry I am not pc on the fish parts) are clamped up tight, she just looks miserable. Not that esteban looks smashing herself. I think she is just more chill about it.

Ok...tap 0 amm, big tank ph held and amm .25

Ok, just go to town get prime or ammo lock and once it is 0 add the maracyn 2? I think it is supposed to be in the water for a couple days...I HAVE to do water changes right? I don't like meds.....I killed a whole tank of fish at the beginning of my fish keeping skills by adding meds to ammonia filled water ( I cleaned the dang filter like a mad person and killed all my bbs)

I think I read a thread somewhere that once fishies end up wrong side up on the bottom of the tank, that is the way they remain. I am hoping I am wrong, I just read through so many threads I don't know where I have been.

I am glad your PH is holding. That's soooo good : )

I feed them once a day when they are healthy, twice a day when they are sick.. Food wise, I think you are doing everything right.

I am pretty sure Amquel + will do the same thing as Prime, so thats up to you. I have both, and I always tend to use the Prime.. It seems easier to me. But both will detoxify ammonia.

I understand about using meds. I was trying to avoid them with my fish, but last night I ended up having to do a water treatment as well. So we are kinda in the same boat.

If you get an ammonia alert, and it shows the ammonia in the safe range, I think I would start Maracyn II..Clearly, they are going to need something else besides what they are getting, and since koko suggested that one, I would go for it.. Do a huge water change first, add the amquel or prime, then I would add it. I PMed Trinket for myself and asked her about water changes during meds. I would THINK (again, guessing) that if the water params are off, then it is okay to do a water change before each dose. But I am not entirely sure. If I get an answer, I will let you know ASAP.

Don't give up hope.. They are still hanging in there, and thats what matters! Besides, things happen all the time that are little miracles. So, don't even listen to what you read.. Doesn't mean they don't have a fighting chance!

Thanks! You almost made me cry being all positive! Maybe that is just what I have been wanting to hear since they look so sad.

I got the ammonia alert and they are showing normal.

So the amquel locked the bad ammonia but is showing up on the drops??????????? Right?

Ok, I think I will get an extra 36 gallons of water ready just in case I have to move the fish once medicating.

If they start tumbling over or looked stressed they may come out immediately! But I will wait for trinket to give the ok.

Yep, the drops (at least these drops) will show total ammonia in the tank.. That includes free toxic ammonia, but also bound safe ammonia that has been converted by the amquel. So it looks like you have a lot, but its in safe form. The ammonia alert will show only ammonia that is free and toxic. SO as long as that shows up okay, you should be safe..

I am going to be away for a couple days, so good luck with your fish.. I think at this point, you are pretty prepared for everything : ) I will try to get on for a few mins at the hotel if I can, but if you don't see me, I am NOT ignoring ya! : )

Never mind I am not going anywhere.. Life always tries to ruin my trips : ) I was all set to go and looked the weather and WIND WIND WIND. No way is my bf going to the beach with bad wind. He hates it when I accidentally flick a bit of sand on him LOL And then there's me, sitting in the sand building castles (even though my daughter is board)..

ANYWAY, I will be here. Just to let you know.. : )

sorry about your trip....left over hurricane winds?

Well it looks like the meters are showing safe amm readings

I need to vacuum the tank a little though or at least net it. I ended up grabbing Artemis, my other Oranda from the big tank as she was starting to show some red streaks and clamped tail fin. I am wondering if I should treat them all? My guess is probably but what about meds and my cycle?

I was in tears waiting for them to die after I put the meds in but they seem fine. Or at least as fine as yesterday. As bad as the sores on Einsein's head and side are I had to do it!

Any ideas on the water changing? Do the meds in the water dissapear over time or become ineffective or are we increasing the meds as we go?

Ok I am going to check on the crazy fish. Let me know if you hear anything about the meds. I can check the computer from work but I won't be back until about 6:30-7 pm tonight.

Thanks Sue. Again I really am sorry about your plans.

Just wanted to update. When I saw Eiensteins wen this morning it looked a little wobblely like jello. Is this from the infection/laying on it/bed sore or something different.

1st dose of Marycyn 2 in water yesterday. :unsure:

I've never used Maracyn II so I can't say for sure. However, I have read that it is deactivated by light so you need to keep the tank covered..

Koko, can you give her some advice on the dosing, etc?

As for water changed, I just started a water med myself and had the same question as you. Imo said basically, just watch the water. The water needs to be in the best condition as possible to work, so if you need to do a water change, do it. The meds I am using have a recommened water change schedule.. I am trying to stick close to that, but if ammonia gets to high, then yes I would do a water change!

Okay about the plans. I think I am gonna have a chance to make them up in a few days and go to Atlantic City, so I can beach AND play slot machines lol

Just wanted to update. When I saw Eiensteins wen this morning it looked a little wobblely like jello. Is this from the infection/laying on it/bed sore or something different.

I have NO idea what this could be.. If this is still a concern I would definatly Pm Trinket and have her help you out with that, cause I don't know what that is at all...

How is he behaving? Do you think he is getting better at all?

that is my issue..jelly head seems bad. at least she is still swimmy (not swimming but gets to the top and floats around again unlike estaban).

ok I will try and get an answer...antibiotics are not ick cure or fin rot cure...they seem more on the dl as lprazi from gfc

hmmmm...thinking you were in tx..pa huh? i was in PA for Fabian what a lovely shower i had trying to get from the car to the room....lights out, no atms, no credit cards, no access to any hotel rooms with electric door keys..... lots of fun. But what exactly is life without drama!!!?

If you see ammonia or nitrites you must get them out and replace the meds. Its easiest to do a 100% water change and then add back exactly the meds you had in there. Keep going with the Maracyn 2 now started for 5 days like this. No lights overhead, a towel or the hood to cover or something -to keep the fish calm.

Good luck. You are doing waht you can. There is still hope.

Ugh, now my other fishies are starting. Callie my little calico telescope looks like her fins are clamping too. I guess I will get some more marycyn2.

Walk me through this: take charcoal out, do huge water change, add prime, anything else when dosing a cycled tank?

The fish in the big tank, not QT tank seem weird too. They are swimming in strange patterns and don't like the light. I do not have enough of the Marycyn2 to start until tonight..no pet stores in town. So at lunch I will pick some up.

I guess if I have to change the water I will...what...put in the same amount I took out? I just don't know whether or not this atibiotic dissapates over time. Is it like salt that does not dissapear until you physically take it out or are we increasing the dose? I don't want to put in 8 packets in my 20 gall if I do a 100% water change and kill them all. :idont

HI newbie, glad Trinket popped in! I wish I could help you with the amount of meds, but I am curious about the same questions as you are!! Not just for your case, but mine as well.. That is one of the things I still don't understand properly. Like you said, I understand with salt.. But with meds, I am confused about whether the goal is to increase the meds over the course of a few days, or if they becoming inactive and you just need a new dose..

Trinket, if you stop back in here, I also asked a similar question on my Samantha thread. What I have done each day is a 50% water change, and one new packet.. But if it's about letting the meds build I have been doing it wrong..

If I find an answer I will let you know. : )

I totally get it.

I just called the number on the back of the Maracyn II box for you. There was no one there, just a machine. I left my number. I was going to ask them about dosing. I'd rather talk to Imo obviously, but with her internet issues, I thought I would TRY. If they call me back, I will let you know what they say.

Then I called the number on API Triple Sulfa. I told them how the box said 25% water change and I asked is it okay to do more. He said definately. I said to him, okay so if I DO a change, do I just add back in one packet, or am I trying to add back in exactly what was in there. He told me it's just one packet a day, and it's not "building". I said "so it becomes inactive?" and he said basically yes. I'm guessing that means that for THIS med, you basically always want ONE packets worth in the water. So for me, doing a 50% change every night at the same time, then adding one packet works.

Now, that could mean its the same for you, or not. And even then, he could be wrong in my case... I wish I had more info for ya..

i just found this:

Question -

I have a fancy, veil tail goldfish that had a serious case of fin rot

that went into septecemia. I treated her once with maracyn-two

with good results. Unfortunately, after moving her out of the

hospital tank back to her regular tank the septecemia returned.

She

is once more in the hospital tank with maracyn two. Here's the

question: both times the water in the hospital tank rapidly

became

VERY green and cloudy, so much so that I could barely see the

fish

in the murky water! The product package says nothing about

water

changes while using the medication. Is this cloudiness an algae

bloom, or a normal side effect of maracyn two? Am I further

stressing my fish in this practically opaque water?

Answer -

Hi Beth;

Maracyn 2 makes quite a mess in any tank. It's pretty normal. It

is good to change 50% of the water daily in the hospital tank

when using antibiotics. Do it right before that day's addition of

medicine. The medicine decays within 24 hours after being

added to the tank so don't worry that you are removing it with

the water changes. It's just old stuff and the fish benefits from

having the water refreshed too. It will help boost it's immune

system. Just be sure the new water is the same temperature as

the old and use a water conditioner too.

I hope your fish feels better soon.....

At Your Service;

Chris Robbins

wow what a wonderful investigator you are!

I could have probably thought of doing that too if I weren't running the office at work all day and driving. As much as I drive i need a voice activated computer so that I can look things up on the way to and from work!

Thank you! so we know it deactivates in the water. This is good since I would have probably killed them adding 6 packets at a time! Nice.

I have to put it in my big tank too. Is it going to kill my cycle? I don't think that marycyn 2 is as harsh as ick killer or anything like that. So should it be ok you think? I have just been a water changing fool for the past 2 months now.

I am never going on vacation again! Thanks again you are a life saver...fish saver too! :flowers

Steph (yay I know your name now lol)

Well... we at least know that according to THAt guy it deactivates LMAO At this point, I always try to run everything I can by Trinket or Pixie or one of the mods, because I trust them.. I mean, if they come on and say what I found out isn't TRUE, I would believe them not "Chris". LOL

If you do end up needing to add more back in, I would think its better to be safe than sorry. Trinket can always tell you if you need to add more, but once its in, if its too much.

Hopefully it won't kill your cycle. It depends on a lot of things... So far, the med I am using has not killed my cycle.. But I would check every single day to be sure.. I think even with the Ich meds it depends on a lot of things. I added QuickCure to my tank a while ago before I found this board.. It never did kill the cycle, but it killed all the fish!! (Wish it had been the cycle instread).

Oh, and you are very welcome :)

fishies are hanging in there...not much change. but it only has been 2 1/2 days. (is that all) waking up at 4 am to change fish water is starting to get to me

Thanks Sue! I am off to have a lovely cup of coffee with a 50 gall water change.