Sign in to follow this  
newbiefishgirl

Bloody Red Streaks And Big Red Abcess On Wen

Sorry about posting twice. But bloody streaks, bloody red abcess on wen with white poo. What to do?

Ok, moved, levels crazy. Broke out 20 gall at 2 am, got it started. I know I will need to do multiple water changes daily...par for the course.

I am salting at .01% now....remind me...when I am doing all these water changes that will be required maybe add up to .02% in morning after water change tomorrow, add back in at night water change, then increase to .03% next day? A log, I know!

Have medigold on hand. Was waiting until calm down from move...moved houses on Monday.

I have other issues with the other fish too...but that can be handled at a slower pace. What to do about this crazy abcess....she has been laying on her head and swimming/laying upside down on bottom of tank since move.

Before move in other tank amm 1, no2 0 no3 40. 7 fish in 55 gall. New t 60 gall in garage, 20 gall set up last night/this morning. Obviously all new water.

Einstein is better in new tank/water but not good.

I leave work where i can check the web at 4 pm MST. anychance someone responds can you copy it to my email? I am desperate....my internet is not up at my house but i can check email on my phone.

STEPHIES_LC@MSN.COM

Thank you :ill

I would if it was me, get maracyn 2 and feed him Medigold...Sounds like a bacterial infection hun...I would keep up the other things your doing but these two meds will help clear it up :)

will get marcyn2 just follow directions on the box?

Should I treat all fish since they have all been in the same tank?

I have the two in 20 gallon and put the other two back in the big tank. Been feeding strictly medigold.

Einstein and Esteban are laying on the bottom of the tank..einstein does swim for a little the plops back down on the bottom...she swims to the top as fast as she can. eats fine.

Esteban trys but has difficult time

I just read through both of your threads..

I am curious about a few things. Before the move, everything was normal correct?? Except for some stringy white poo??

Right now you are feeding the medi-gold. That's good. I would stick with that for at least a full two weeks. (you can go up to 30 days)...

These are NOT new fish correct? Have they ever been treated with 0.3% salt before?? How about prazi? If they never have been, then it would be wise to salt to 0.3% like you said, and do a prazi treatment at some point. Flukes can cause bottom sitting..Prazi will take care of that. How long have you had these fish? I just need a little more background on how long you've had them, what they have been treated for etc.

Either way, salting to 0.1% is a good thing and will help relieve some of the stress. If you have never salted at 0.3% before, I would do that, but if you already have, I would think maybe 0.1% is enough.. You haven't seen anything like Ich here correct?

Looks like your cycle has had a slight bump. Keep up with the daily testing and water changes. You could get some Prime to help detoxify the ammonia until the cycle evens back out. Prime witll detoxify ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours, assuming its a small amount (less than 0.75ppm).. This is not to be used in PLACE of water changes, but can be a great tool when you want to make sure that the small leftover amount of ammonia is in a safe form.

As for the Maracyn Two , I would think that yes. You just want to follow directions on the box. If you need to do any water changes because of the cycle bump I would do them each day, then add the dose. For now, I would only treat the fish that are behaving sick.. No need to medicate if not needed.

How are they today? Are they doing any better?

Same fish since March

We have treated them for everything!

The only crazy thing was when the aliens landed in the tank, I figured they would get an infection.....I guess they did.

They are a little perkier.

Esteban is trying so hard to turn over....it is very difficult to watch.

Einstein...her head looks better, it isn't all red. Now it is white. I couldn't find any Marycyn 2 last night, everything was closed. I picked up some melafix. Will this work or should I get the other. They seemed a bit perkier with the addition of it.

No internet at home is making me nuts!

Do I need to hydrogen peroxide the wen or will the other help. Where the red abcess looking thing was, the wen has turned opaquish white???

Streaks have calmed down immensely.

Oh and I definitley know I have a girl fish since there are eggs everywhere and I am cleaning them up. Would this have anything to do with anything?

I am using amquel and nova quel (whatever) and doing water changes 2 times day on small tank with 2 fish. My big tank I am monitoring. Yes I have used salt before too. Just figured with the cycle bump salt will help keep nitrites down.??

anything else? I am exhausted. Poor fishies!

been doing 50% water changes 2 times daily in 20 gall for my 2 fish. salt .01% and melafix per instructions on package, along with medigold

red streaks minimizing, red abcess turning to white film which seems to be going away. still upside down on the bottom.

Einstein can swim around just not turn over, but mostly lays on the bottom of the tank still

Esteban can't really swim around, can't turn over except to roll over to get food) laying on back on bottom of the tank.

Pretty sad really, but they are both better than they were. They start fluttering around the second they hear me come in the house.....but are they stuck on the bottom on their backs for the rest of their lives?

Should I be brainstorming for something cushy so they don't get bed sores from the bottom of the tank? Am I crazy? I keep thinking of little vests with balloons attached to them to keep them upright! :idont

I don't know how I missed your update! So sorry!!

The melafix might not do much if it is a bacterial infection. It's supposed to work, but a lot of people have found out that it has a very limited use.. It will help heal wounds, things like that, but for the most part people agree it doesn't do much.. You won't have hurt them with it though. Personally I think you can discontinue use of it..

With the streaks going down, and the wen seeming to heal, I actually think you might just want to stick with the Medi-Gold only for now.. You can always keep an eye out for the Maracyn II. It wouldn't hurt to have it on hand, and it's not that expensive, but it does seem like the fish are improving in some ways... Two of my fish are getting metromeds right now. I wasn't sure whether to add something to the water. Trinket explained to me that it's really my call, but that if the fish are getting better, or at the very least not getting worse, it's okay to hold off on starting a second medication. I know in most cases Trinket likes to use one med at a time if at all possible. Because she is the one that has helped me with most of my fish problems, with good success, I tend to agree with her and try to use one medication at a time unless things appear to be getting worse. Right now, your fish appear to be responding to the medicated food, so you MAY be able to fix things with just that.

However, it's a matter of opinion, because many others often use Maracyn II at the same time as medicated food. (or a different water treatment) I really think it's up to you whether you want to try the Maracyn II. And there are FOR SURE cases where a med food is NOT going to work unless a water based treatment is needed.. If I were you, I would keep a look out for the Maracyn II... Then you know you have it on hand if things appear to start getting worse.

I am curious about the spot on the wen.. Generally opaque white on the wen is actually just a sign of wen growth.. The "bloody red" however makes me wonder.. My fish get whiteish redish pimples at times on their wens which turn to a white like you are describing and it's always been wen growth. Could you get a photo? (Did I ask you that already? lol) For now, since it appears to be getting better, I wouldn't dab anything on them.

Right now the biggest thing seems to be the laying on the bottom on their backs, is that right? I know you mentioned this on your other thread, and were told to try peas? Did they help at ALL?? The thing is, the med food (which you need to continue with once you start) CAN cause some fish digestive problems. However, you really are only supposed to feed JUST the medicated food.. So stick with those for now.

And yes the eggs could very well have something to do with this... Often fish heavy with eggs have a rough time swimming, and the eggs in the tank can also lead to a jump in ammonia.. A nice large water change is (as always) helpful...

If the fish continue to recover in all areas other than the swimming, laying on their backs you might want to try switching salts. Epsoms salts at a dose of 1/4 teaspoon per ten gallons can help fish that are constipated. YOu can't use it with reg salt though, so you will have to do either one full water change, or a few large water changes to get the other salt out.

So in short for now I think you want to be doing medigold only as food, salt (either 0.1% or epsom, NOT both. I'm leaning toward epsoms), and Maracyn II if you choose. That's it, (in my opinion of course lol). And daily water changes/testing...

Thanks!

I normally feed peas on a daily basis, but not since starting the meds. Sticking with medigold for now.

Wen looks like it is healing, where the big red blotch was is turning to white (healing right) I can probably get a picture, I just still don't have internet so will have to upload at work. I will try.

Water changes, water changes...seems like all i do!

But they are still laying upside down or on their sides at the bottom. Esteban is actually getting little sores on her side now.

But they are perkier. they still know me when I come home! I think I will try the epsom salt. It may take me a day or two...well not that long the way I change water! I will get 50% out tonight, then 50% in the morning, then if I do 50% tomorrow night you think all the aquarium salt would be gone? No adding the two....I read that can be very bad.

As for the melafix (tea tree oil basically). I know on humans it has great effect on all types of fungi and helps with healing stuff. All the cuts on my hands have healed up quite nicely thanks to being in the fish water all the time LOL! Just don't know what it does for fish...their little sores...you think it will help or hurt?

Thanks for all your help and how are your new babies? Did the purple decide to come back or do the kids think you still have a grey fish?

Update. Changed about 75% water in both tanks.

My PH went from 7.6 at the old house to 6.4 at the new place. Do I need to be adding some PH or will the fish adjust. I saw trinket's post on her PH crash. Is this significant enough change to effect the fish?

The amm was much higher than normal when I got home last night (even with 50% twice a day water change). Could the ph being stressing the fish out to cause this?

Einstein had a little black on her fin...which totally freaks me out (amm burn). So changed water again this morning!

No pictures....I forgot sorry.

Help :idont

But they are perkier. they still know me when I come home! I think I will try the epsom salt. It may take me a day or two...well not that long the way I change water! I will get 50% out tonight, then 50% in the morning, then if I do 50% tomorrow night you think all the aquarium salt would be gone? No adding the two....I read that can be very bad.

Yep that should be just fine : ) And you are right, never use the two at the same time. It's good that they are perkier, and it good that they are still responding to you! That's a great sign.

As for the melafix (tea tree oil basically). I know on humans it has great effect on all types of fungi and helps with healing stuff. All the cuts on my hands have healed up quite nicely thanks to being in the fish water all the time LOL! Just don't know what it does for fish...their little sores...you think it will help or hurt?

Ya know. Melafix I think is one of those meds that are more a matter of opinion. Some people will say to use it when there are sores, some people will say salt and clean water, some people will say both.. Clearly, if you are switching to epsom, you can't use 0.1% salt. Personally, I like to use only one med at a time if all possible. However, many people would say it's fine to use the Melafix. Here's my thing. You said there is some ammonia building up in the tank. THAT makes me think you want to stop the melafix. When you have ANY ammonia, you don't want to mess with meds..

Thanks for all your help and how are your new babies? Did the purple decide to come back or do the kids think you still have a grey fish?

Aww thanks for asking : ) I got a new bulb, and the purple shows up more with it.. My other fish is already losing some of it's black. But they are still GORGEOUS! LOL And they are doing really really well!

My PH went from 7.6 at the old house to 6.4 at the new place. Do I need to be adding some PH or will the fish adjust. I saw trinket's post on her PH crash. Is this significant enough change to effect the fish?

I believe it is, especially with fish that are already sick.. I think you will want to get something like Buff It Up.. Its best to keep the PH above 7.. Also, when PH crashes occur, often you will also see a rise in ammonia.. In the meantime, you can try baking soda, or adding crushed coral to the tank to up the PH.

And finally, yeah whenever you can pictures will help. Like those spots on the belly...

What exactly do I do with the crushed coral? I had the BF pick it up so I haven't even read the label yet!

Should I be putting Marycyn 2 in tank with my water messed up? I am afraid I will kill all the fish!

Crush Coral, I actually have never had to use it! I know it works, but I don't know how! See if you can find some other threads. And I'll look too.

Anyone have experience using it? I don't want to give her the wrong info.

With your water messed up, no I wouldn't add the Maracyn II.. You never want to add meds to water with ammonia. (Or how bout this, I personally wouldnt unless a moderator told me it was okay in that case)

How are they today? Are they any better? Any worse??

No never add meds with water params off target :o . Get the water right first ......or QT...

Coral needs rinsing well. There will be a lot of white cloudy rinse off and you need to keep rinsing till the water runs clear. Then add as much as you can to your filter box (crushed) or tank bottom (larger stones).

Bear in mind it takes a few days to work so something like Buff It Up or BS is a good and necessary in between measure :)

Thanks Trinket.. How do you always know to pop in when you are needed soo fast??? : ) I didn't even get a chance to PM you and ask for advice!

Guest jinyu

do you have gravel in your tank? If you are worried about your fish laying on those uncomfortable stones, you can always push the gravel away and let them lay on the bottom of the barebottom tank (don't take the gravel out completely, since it can mess up your tank's cycle, but let someone else with more experience tell you for sure!) :krazy::yeah:

I can figure how to put it in the canister filter....scary but I can do that! Its new so its a little weird.

I have an intank filter on my 20 gall QT tank. ?????? How about pouring some in a nylon stocking or something and setting it on the bottom of the tank.

Is their a link somewhere to the Baking Soda adding while the coral gets to work?

Ok, the 20 gall QT I am changing the water 2 times daily with at least 50% change. I am feeding medigold, but the white thin string looking poo is still there? As is some partial red in the wen and tail. I am going to try and load some pictures. The ph is effecting the amm levels so should I wait on the marycyn 2 in the qt tank until I fix that? ( i am leaning towards do nothing until water is fixed...but)

Epsom salt ok to put in tank to try and get them right side up with water screwy?

Ok, going to download pics. give me a few

esteban the black fish....bed sores on side look like white dots in picture. but you can generally see the rest. poor little fellas

do you have gravel in your tank? If you are worried about your fish laying on those uncomfortable stones, you can always push the gravel away and let them lay on the bottom of the barebottom tank (don't take the gravel out completely, since it can mess up your tank's cycle, but let someone else with more experience tell you for sure!) :krazy: :yeah:

I was going to suggest this the other day actually, but I forgot.

I can figure how to put it in the canister filter....scary but I can do that! Its new so its a little weird.

I have an intank filter on my 20 gall QT tank. ?????? How about pouring some in a nylon stocking or something and setting it on the bottom of the tank.

NO idea about canister filters. I would think the stocking idea would be okay though, or one of those mesh bags they sell for filter media?
Is their a link somewhere to the Baking Soda adding while the coral gets to work?

I think they best thing you can do is to add one teaspoon at a time.. Dissolve it in a cup of tank water, and test it after you put it in. Then wait a while and test again. (cause it could drop back down some). If you add a smaller amount like this at a time, and keep track of how much you add I think that would be good. Also, don't raise it TOO much too fast.. A little at a time is good. (Unless it's an emergency of course...)

Epsom salt ok to put in tank to try and get them right side up with water screwy?

I would think trying the epsom would be just fine.

Ok, the 20 gall QT I am changing the water 2 times daily with at least 50% change. I am feeding medigold, but the white thin string looking poo is still there? As is some partial red in the wen and tail. I am going to try and load some pictures. The ph is effecting the amm levels so should I wait on the marycyn 2 in the qt tank until I fix that? ( i am leaning towards do nothing until water is fixed...but)

Oh so the QT tank is actually the one with strange readings? In that case, if you want to start the Maracyn II i think you will want to just start off with a HUGE water change. As much as you can do with the fish covered. Since it's a QT tank, it won't cycle anyway, and the meds won't be killing any cycle.. Get something like Prime, to keep the daily ammonia produced in a non toxic form. Then I would do large water changes each day, to keep the ammonia low. Remeber not to have any carbon in the tank, or it will remove the meds. I believe Maracyn II needs to be used in the dark as well.

If you are planning on using Epsom salt, and not reg. salt, you could get some AmmoChips, or Zeolite. This removes ammonia, and is great in a tank where you don't need to worry about the cycle. (In a cycled tank it actually removed the ammonia, so there is nothing for the BB's to feed on, so the cycle never really establishes). In a QT tank it doesn't matter. You can't use it with regular salt, (reg salt releases the ammonia back into the water). If you can get some of the ammochips, and put them in a baggie of some sort and use that in your filter, it should keep the water in the QT tank ammonia free. Then you can use the Maracyn II..

I am pretty sure that you could do all three at the same time. Medi-Gold, Maracyn II and epsom salts. The more things that are added though, the more important it is to keep a log..Right now it might be easiest to start with the Maracyn II. Give that a few days, so you can see how the fish are responding, amd focus on that. Then try the epsoms in a few days if the fish still seem bloated..They are not pineconed correct? Just a little constipated?

Oh good I forgot to mention that the pics didn't work, but now they are!

The white stuff on the wen.. Really looks like wen growth to me, on the white areas, but the red spots I have never seen.. The spot where its white, did it look like the red before hand?

Something is clearly not right to make them lay on the bottom that way, and it does seem like something besides a little constipation. If it were me, I would do the Maracyn II and continue the MediGold.

How old is your MediGold? Just trying to think of anything here.. And how many days have they now been getting the MediGold?

Just got the medigold from GFC on the 2nd.

When did I start this crazy thread??? That is when I started giving them the medigold.

Where the white is was all red before. There is still a little red going on but not the whole thing...which is why I thought maybe it was healing.

I have the zeolite I will put it in the QT tank.

The PH is bad in both tanks...but I worry more about the 55 gall with all my other fish in there. I think I will print the whole thing and take it home to read. I do believe my internet is finally get hooked up today!

Anyone else seen anything like this before?

Thanks Sue.

Okay good, just wanted to make sure the meds were fresh : )

So it seems like you've only been feeding them it for less than a week. I think you'll want to keep feeding those for 14 days minimum, 30 days is best.

I do agree that is seems like it could be healing, esp knowing that what it white now, was red.. I THINK it's a good sign : ) And I hope so too : )

Sounds good with the zeolite : )

And yes I would definately work on that ph right now.. Let me know how that goes.. Good luck with everything, I hope it all gets sorted out soon! Hang in there fishies!