Severe Ichy

Guest luli k

my fish r suffering from a severe case of ichy, with white dots on their tail and covering their body!!!, i noticed 1 of my fish got red lines on his tail?, its disease after disease for me :cry1 and the other fish, also has ichy, just behind its gills, it if becoming inflated/really big( the body area ), its scales r poping out alittle, what the heck do i do?????????????????

Any chance you can answer these questions for us?

It is really hard to tell the best treatments without knowing some of these answers. Thanks so much!

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level?

[*]Nitrite Level?

[*]Nitrate level?

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

[*]Water temperature?

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

ammonia level is: 0

nitrite: 0.25

nitrate: 40

ph tank: 7.6

using tist ket: drops

temperature: 68

tank size: 16, 17 or 18 gallons, been runing for 1 year

filter: cascade 400, it is used for 60 to 150 litres

water change: every week, 25%

food feed: goldfish flakes in the morning, pellets in the night, and rarely bloodworms

for water changes, i use water ager

for the ich, i used white spot cure and for the dropsy, i used fungus eliminator (it can cure dropsy), and ive used aquarium salt (pure and natural crystals)

unusual behaviour: bottom sitting and hiding under decorations.

sooo far the dropsy has healed, there is still ich, but now my fish is also suffering from fin rot ( but i have it under control, from reading about the diseases )

Hiya! I've been away for a few days so I just now found this thread..

First thing, when is the last time you have done a water change? And what medicines are actually in the tank now?

First I suggest, a LARGE water change, as much as you can do, to get the meds/salt out of the water, so we can start fresh. Generally, the Ich meds are very hard on the fish, and salt is the best method. However, salt can also make a fish bloat more, and if your fish has or had dropsy we don't want that. The ich WILL need to be treated, but the dropsy needs to be focused on first in my opinion. We need to make sure that is under control...

Can you get a photo of the fish now?

For dropsy, you will need to add a different type of salt to the tank. Called Epsom Salt. It can NOT be used with reg salt. The dose is small, 1/4 teaspoon per ten gallons of water. This will help reduce the bloating, and hopefully reduce the pineconing.

Once you are certain that the dropsy is gone (which if it IS gone so fast, that is a GOOD thing, but please keep an eye on the fish), we can work on curing the Ich/fin rot. (Using salt, NOT meds)..

so far the dropsy is gone (he looks all better, and he doesnt look inflated anymore, thankfully), 2 cure the dropsy i used aquarium salt (pure and natural crystals) and fungus eliminator (clears serious fungus and bacteria fast, it says it can be used for dropsy)

for the ich i use white spot cure (contains malachite green, formaldehyde) and aquarium salt (pure and natural crystals)

for the finrot i use pimafix and aquarium salt (pure and natural crystals)

for epsom salt, i couldent find that at lfs's near me

Edited by luli k

If the dropsy is gone, that's a GREAT thing!!

Now, I am extremely happy that your fish appear to be doing better.. The only thing is, they have been giving a LOT of meds.. Sometimes these meds can actually make the fish worse if not given in the right amount, or mixed with other meds..

Since the dropsy is gone, and you are only dealing with the Ich at this point, I strongly suggest a 100% water change.. You can move the fish to a bucket of tank water, and then replace all of the water with temperature matched, dechlorinated water.. THis way we can be sure ALL of the meds are out of the water.

Then the next step is to take things one step at a time as far as medicines are concerned.. You can start with salt.. The epsom salt is needed for dropsy, but if that is under control we can start with aquarium salt, which will get rid of any Ich that remains in a SAFE way for the fish..

You will want to add 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon of tank water. Dissolve the salt in a cup of tank water, don't just add it to the aquarium. This brings your salt to a concentration of 0.1%.. The goal here is to get the salt to a concentration of 0.3% gradually. (3 teaspoons per gallon, or 1 tablespoon per gallon). Once you have the salt at 0.1%, you can leave it there for 12 hours.. Once 12 hours has passed, you will add another 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of tank water. That brings your salt at a total of 2 teaspoons per gallon, or 0.2% salt. Leave it there for another 12 hours. THEN you can add one more teaspoon of salt per gallon water. Bringing the total to 3 teaspoons of salt per gallon, (which is the same as 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon) and a concentration of 0.3%.

The salt needs to be kept at 0.3% for 6 days AFTER the last white spot of Ich drops off... Now, in the meantime, you are going to need to do water changes daily.. with a gravel vac/syphon. This allows you to remove the Ich cysts that have fallen off in the bottom. It's a very important part of treating for Ich.. When you remove water, you are also removing salt. Let's say you remove 50% of the water with a water change. It means you are also removing 50% of the salt. So you must add back in the amount of salt that was taken out.. Let's say your tank is 18 gallons. THat means you will have 54 teaspoons of salt in the tank. So if you do a 50% water change, you are taking out 27 teaspoons. That is equal to 9 Tablespoons. SO after you add NEW water you need to add back in 9 tablespoons of salt..

The best thing you can do it to keep a log of how much salt goes in, and how much comes out. That way you always have the correct amount in.

Trust me switching to the salt to cure any remaining Ich is a GREAT method. Some of us have had fish die from Ich meds that contain malachite green and formalin. I myself lost 5 fish this way. The only fish that survived was treated with the salt method.

You will want to test your water daily to make sure the ammonia and nitrite stay low. They should ALWAYS be zero. I noticed that you have a nitrite reading. Some medications can cause a problem with your cycle. This may be why you have a reading for nitrite. You need to check those every day and make sure you do water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite as close to zero as possible.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! I hope your fish get better : ) Good luck with everything :)

• 2 weeks later...