Moose's Lips Spotty

RHankinsJr

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 10

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.8

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.0

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops ( strips for kh\gh )

[*]Water temperature? 71

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55g... 8mo or so

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Emporer 400 x 2

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every other week, 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 x 5" Ranchu

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? proper ph 7.8

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? pro-gold, twice daily 4-5 pellets. Fresh Veggies & peas once a week.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? none

[*]Any medications added to the tank? none

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? See Photo

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? none, just sits there giving my wife his love eyes begging for more food

Alright, has white spots on his lips. It isn't ich, it is something else. Doesn't multiply or change any and is located only on his lips. Should be good enough of a pic to see what I am talking about.

As far as meds on hand, I have medi-gold & parasite tabs ( jungle ). Can try and find anything else this weekend in town though ( I don't live or work close to town at all ).

Thanks, I'll be glad to provide you with any more information you need for my special needs fish.

post-15296-1220506013_thumb.jpg

It looks like some small bacterial pimples that could lead to mouth rot. Since hes a big fishie I would consider doing a very careful manual swab with a cotton bud soaked in hydrogen peroxide to stop this spreading. Do it right and you only need apply once. After the bacteria are killed on contact -immune cells and good bacteria in the area get to work on healing.

If you have help (someone to pass the swab) you can simply lift the fish to the surface so his mouth gapes and apply the swab like lipstick.

I would consider doing a very careful manual swab with a cotton bud soaked in hydrogen peroxide to stop this spreading.

Alright, will do. You stated to very carefully manually swab the lips, what should I be paying attention to not hit with peroxide. Should the swab just be moist or should it be saturated? Will wait for your reply.

Trinket advised me to do this with my Fisher who was battling mouth rot and I had the Q-tip soaked but not dripping. Dipped once, let it drip excess and then applied -- so there wasn't any extra that ran into his mouth or dripped in the tank. I swabbed everything in one back and forth pass with gentle, light pressure...he didn't struggle (which is unusual).

Good luck! Moose has the best cheeks! :wub:

Alright, my wife and I have swabbed moose's pouty lips.

How long does this condition normally take to clear?

Didn't realize just how big moosie was until tonight when holding him, he is much larger than I though just by looking at him. A good 6inches long and wide as a brick! haha.

Give him a few days now. They should recede. Make sure you feed him up with some nutritious things to boost immune response. Kiwi, krill, peas, banana, soft brocolli are many fishes faves.

Will do trinket, I will post some pics each night so you can tell me if I need to treat again or not. as of this morning ( which, I know is really fast ) there is no change.

I guess he'll be lucky and every night will be treat night for a little bit!

Lucky moosie!

Hmm. It really doesn't look any better does it. You now have other choices. Either you can try the hp again, once only. Or you should maybe do a dip in pottassium permanganate or -and easiest perhaps- you can get some Binox for the water. Your fish is behaving fine, eating well so this is not a systemic disease that has internalised and therefore a water born or external approach is best. Not medicated food. Binox contains a nitrofuran antibiotic that can be very effective against these kind of early manifestations of mouth rot. It also contains salt so you do not need to salt the tank, it provides the fish with 2 helpful attacks on the bacteria that are quite mild -important since this is so localised.

However one thing that the pimples indicate is there is a problem with bacteria load in the water. I know you are understocked and caring for your fish well but I think in spite of that and since you only do 50% changes, it is definitely time to do a 100% water change (not within 2 days of rinsing the filter media). Bacteria multiply very fast in water that already contains a load of them. The bacterial load can be sky high but all param readings good. By doing a full water change (recommended once monthly) you can clear the water of these accumulating pathogens.

• 2 weeks later...