Lionhead With A Wen Problem

SEATTLEWINTER

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 0

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)?

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? drops

[*]Water temperature? 74

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 25gal 6 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquaclear 60 and penguin 350 + 5w u.v

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? twice a week, 6 gal each time

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? pro gold

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? 2

[*]Any medications added to the tank? prazi

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no

Hi guys,

Over a week ago I purchased 2 3" lionhead from a goldfish house of horrors, the type with 30 fish in a 20 gallon tank, Fish appeared fine, i tested the shops water in the bag when I got

home and it had .25ppm nitrites and .25ppm ammonia. After 4 days in q/t after treating with prazi one of the lionheads developed one 1mm round hole on each side of the head, 1 hole now looks white at the bottom of the hole and one has kind of turned a dark color, these holes have not grown and the fish is not showing any other signs. Is this a sign of hole in the head disease?

Any ideas

Seattlewinter

Just keep an eye on it, with clean water things should clear up.

I often get white pimples on my fish with wen. I think what happens is as the wen grows in folds up on itself like a brain. When dead cells or other debris gets caught in these folds you can get a little proliferation of bacteria or ciliates.

Did you get him at Mr Liems? Did they have chickens in the aquariums this time? ;)

Best fishes

David

www....................com

It could be. Lack of proper nutrition causes these holes. Feed the fish lots of variety espec ially vitamin C rich foods in QT.

If he doesn't get better, you may need Metromeds from Goldfish Connection but I have seen these holes close over with good nutrition and water.