I Dont Have To Do Anything...but..

my neighbors have 2 commons inside a tank which is between 5-10 gallons. i cannot tell how many gallons it really is but i dont think it is even a 10 gallon. i asked them, and they didnt even know how many gallons it was...but all i know is the brand of the tank is called eclipse. anyway, the fish look happy as of now, but are looking a little crammed in that tank. both fish are orange...but a few of their scales are paler looking than others, if that means anything.

my neighbors thankfully realized the fish are too crammed in the tank and asked me if i wanted the smaller common...because i had told them months ago that commons really need 20 gallons PER fish to be completely happy and healthy fish and grow to their potential, so they considered me. i realize even if i take the smaller fish, their tank still is not big enough for the other fish. but there is not really anything i can do about that...they also said they dont know anyone else that wants the fish, and i'm afraid that even if they do find someone, that person wont know how to care properly for it. I KNOW i dont have room for it....because i only have a 10 gallon with my 4" (including tail) moor, but what else is there to do? i feel as if i should do something more than say i cannot take the fish because i dont have room. i'm feelinnn guilty here. and if i did take the fish, (i would probably set up a rubbermaid...)my mom would be AGAINST IT, and she would be very angry! the only way my mom would be completely fine is if i put the fish into my 10 gallon, without setting up another tank/rubbermaid, so i really dont know what to do. i could find someone myself to give it away to? ill show you guys the tank now, i managed to get some pics!

this is the entire tank, and the bigger common:

IMG00074.jpg

this is a side shot, the smaller common:

IMG00075.jpg

both fish sitting next to each otehr:

IMG00076.jpg

the bigger one again:

IMG00073.jpg

sorry for the quality of the pics, blackberry doesnt take great aquarium shots!

Putting the common in with your tank would be cramming up your tank...would do no good...However if you can find good homes for both of them..that would be awesome...first ask your neighbors if they would be interested in giving up both of them...only then look for someone..make sure they get good homes..and then you can stop feeling bad abt it...I understand your plight..but if you cannot setup a rubbermaid..( i totally understand why not, so nothing against it)...then finding good homes is the best thing you can do for them... :) ..any pond owners in and around your locality???...dont feel bad..you would be doing the best you can.. :)

Well if your neighbors agree to give up the fish maybe there is a LFS that may be willing to accept them? If not they might want to look at investing in a bigger tank, don't put to much pressure on ur friends tho. Best of luck.

Why don't they just buy a bigger tank? For me, that seems the easiest solution (or did I miss a reason why this is not an option?). Maybe you can find someone you know who has a pond and will accept two more fishes? Taking one fish yourself is, however tempting, not a wise decision I think. For one because of the overcrowding, but also because a common and a moor just don't match. A rubbermaid would be a good short term solution, but I don't think you could keep it in there forever.

It's nice that you're concerned and try to make it better for the gf, I really think that's a wonderful thing to do! :flowers

yeah , well i know i cant put the common and my moor together, but it's so tempting since the difference in tank size would probably do the lil common some good =/ well, i guess ill look around for people with ponds...

oh, and my neighbors dont want a bigger tank, they already think the one they have is big enough..plus there's a money issue as well. but i COULD offer them the 42 gallon tank my friend is keeping in her garage for me as soon as i can take it and put it to use...

that would be putting it to good use. but the tank is HUGE and i dont think they would want it. i also have a feeling they would add a lot more fish to it if they took it because it would seem empty to them. i could suggest to my neighbors a rubbermaid...i hadnt even thought of that actually! but again, with the too much room, might add more fish/big tank problem.

oh, and i dont really trust any of the LFS here...except for one, but they mainly focus on saltwater and the goldie tanks they have arent in the greatest condition.

the local civic center has a koi pond that one of my best friends gave all her koi to when her mom decided to remove the koi pond from their backyard..but all the fish there are KOI and theyre HUGE. the little commons are not even 1/4 of their size yet.!

Edited by justkeepswimming

There are a couple of groups in my area that set up fish tanks for kids who have mental disabilities and need something relaxing to focus on; you could check in your town to see if there's anything like that -- I know the ones here are always looking for healthy fish, and they purchase aquariums that are the correct size, too.

yeah, well for now i guess i will just look around for people who may be able to provide a good home for them (or at least one of them). i was able to convince myself not to take the fish. but everytime i see them i just feel so bad. :unsure:

anyway.....wish me luck!

No local goldfish societies around here, so that's not an option. And, I equally doubt there are any groups who do aquariums for kids or any elderly or disabled group. That's not really the SoCal scene. Sadly. We talk big and throw money around, but that's about it..... But, there are ponds, so, seeking out one of those is a very good idea.

I understand the guilt you're feeling, but as terrible as you feel for not being able to take in these fish, your first concern does have to be for you and your own.

If you were to give that 40 gallon to your neighbors, would they not understand the concept about not being able to add more fish if you were to explain it to them? You cannot give it to them if you don't feel that they wouldn't.

So sad what humans do to animals. Dogs, cats, birds, fish. All of them. People get these animals because they're cute little babies and fun to play with, but as soon as they get bored, the animal gets forgotten and abused or abandoned. We wish we could save all of these poor animals......... sadly.... we can't.

poor things, i went over to their house today to babysitt the kids and both fish were gasping for air at the top of the tank and thebigger one had a red line on it's back that went along with where its dorsal fin met its body.

i explained to them i have a 42 gallon i can provide for free, but thye have to promise not to add any more fish if they take it.

well see what happens "/

I remember that when I was looking for a home for the big common I inherited Roni said she had a friend with a pond who would take him. I'm not sure if this is still an option, but that might be worth checking into.

Also Aquarium City in Canoga Park will take larger commons and put them in a big aquarium/pond until they are sold to go into ponds so that may be an option.

I've seen some restaurants that have HUGE goldfish aquariums in them... maybe there is one in your area who would like to take on another one or two (if the neighbors decide against the big tank)

just an idea...

Those fish are not happy. And by now they are in poor health.

It looks like they are in a 5 gallon. I would leave them there and try to get them to upgrade thier tank. Or if you can get them to move them to a rubbermaid. You may make the fish you have sick if you move one into one of your tanks with other fish.