Salt Question

amynmitchell

I just PM'd Lynda on this, but thought I would see if anyone else has run into this.

I bought sea salt that is unrefined and sundried, nothing but pure sea salt to use for my quarentine. But I just read the average analysis and realized it has a few extra ingrediants because it has retained its natural minerals. What it says is:

Calcium .11%

Magnesium 06%

Sulphate .30%

Iron 10 PPM

Copper 3 PPM

Is this safe or should I hold out until I get a different salt? They are at .01% now and I was hoping to get them up to .02% now so I could medicate with Prazi tommorrow.

Also, I've read that fry can have problems with salt. The Oranda is teeny weeny...should I just keep it at .01% or watch her at .02%.

Thanks, all!

• Admin

I wouldnt use it if it has copper in there, its a killer for fish in general. I have seen fish die cause of people dropping pennies into ponds.....I know its not that high but it would take some water changes to get rid of it out of the water.

My opinion I wouldnt use it :(

Uh-oh. I was pm-ing Lynda last night and she compared it with the ingrediants on her aquarium salt and we decided it was okay...I added it to .01% last night.

It is from the grocery store...and is nothing but unrefined sea salt, but sea salt that hasn't been refined has those naturally occuring minerals in it.

I was going to go ahead and Prazi tonight. They seemed fine with it this morning and ate really well (of course now I'm at work and can't watch them), but should I do a fifty percent water change and then the Prazi? I was hoping to hold off on a water change until this weekend, but now I'm a bit worried...

Okay, I'm a bit nervous now (must be the new mommy sydrome Lynda keeps teasing me about). I do think that the mineral content in unrefined sea salt is higher than in refined sea salt as non of the natural minerals have been cleaned out. I think in the low dose I used (1 tsp. per gallon) it is probably okay but I wouldn't do it again and wouldn't want to chance it.

So what I am leaning towards doing is a twenty-five percent (maybe a bit more) water change. Then going ahead and dosing with Prazi (in the form of PC). Then I will do another larger water change on Saturday and the only salt I will add to keep the concentration up is aquarium salt.

Does this seem like a plan?

I am probably being overly nervous as last night Lynda and I figured out the ingrediants in her aquarium salt were comparable to what I was using, but the naturally occuring copper is what makes me nervous...

If anyone is out there I would love some more advice...I'm at work now and worred...

That was my feeling, but just to be safe I might as well dilute it with a small water change. It certainly can't hurt.

It is weird, because technically it is pure salt, nothing is added. But kind of like the water out of a tap has certain minerals, sea salt has minerals in it, too. Again it is probably minor but I don't want to take a risk...