Help With My Testing Kits Please

Guest Megan Steele

Guest Megan Steele

I got the Live NH3 ammonia tester from nnnn, but it is not showing that there is any ammonia in the tank, in fact, it looks exactly the same as when I bought it. It is supposed to stay in the tank and tell me the ammonia level LIVE. Is it working correctly?? :(

Ah, this isn't what you want, unfortunately. What you want is drop test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. Here's a link to what you should get. API Master Test Kit. You can also buy these testers individually.

Edited by Lynda Von G

The thing you got is sort of an "alarm." It's supposed to register ammonia only if any shows up. But, we mostly don't trust these things. The drop test kits are more accurate and getting in the habit of regularly testing your water is better than relying on an "alarm." But, if you're not getting any ammonia on that, there is a good chance that you won't have any ammonia when you do your drop test either. And that's good. You don't want ammonia. So, if you don't have any ammonia, then that means that your tank has at least cycled a little. That's when you start testing for nitrites and nitrates. You don't want any nitrites either, but you will, and should have, low level nitrates. Nothing over 20, and I prefer nothing over 10, but if you only have nitrate readings, then that means your tank is cycled. :)