Betta Bowl

kittyfiends

Dechlorinated tap water with a pH of 7 is good...however, I would really suggest getting a 2-3 gallon tank with a cheap filter...1 gallon is really small..according to me 2.5 gallon should be an absolute minimum...since bettas breathe from labyrinth it is nice to give them a good surface area...and the bigger the better.. :) ...like I have mine in a 5 gallon tank.. :) ..just my personal choice..and just a suggestion... :)

I have a betta in a 2.5 with a filter at work and he ended up with fin rot. I believe because I wasn't aging the water. Which is kind of a pain. I figured it might be easier with a one gallon and do a 100% change even if it is every couple of days. Keep two bowls complete ornaments and all. Fill the 2nd bowl a day or two before the water change. Cup the betta out of the old water. Dump the old water. Rinse the stones and ornaments well. Test old water and new water to make sure ph is the same. Put betta in new water becasue it's already temperature and ph matched.

I have had bettas in gallon fish bowls and other water containers. Its just nasty for them. After 2 days the water is stagnant and smelly. They're just swimming in their own waste and food. Its also a hassle changing the water so much.

Now I have Ali in a 5 gallon hex with a small filter. He is much happier and more active than any of my other bettas have been! The water stays clear and he doesn't have to stress with the constant water changes.

I agree with Vickie...in a gallon bowl they ll be just swimming in their own filth..besides frequent water changes stress those guys...and a 100% water change I believe is very stressful on any fish every 2-3 days...bettas easily get stressed.. :( ...

OK OK OK,

I'm cleaning out the 10 gallon I have laying around here, which in about a month I'm going to need to doctor my future sister in laws angelfish who has terrible fin rot on the pectorals. I have an internal tetra 10-30 filter brand new and a top fin 10 filter used. I went to pets* *mart today and they have a 2.5 gallon all glass tank, for 11.99$, and the top fin 10 fits on it. I didn't buy the 2.5 tank yet because I figured I'd get it when the Angel fish arrives, and use what I have already instead of spending more money.

I got this fish from one of my customers who's son brought it home from college and she didn't want to deal with it.