Pet Stores Never Have What I Want!

Imber

I'm just wondering if anyone else is annoyed that pet stores in general seem to be stocking less and less useful stuff. Everytime I call around looking for something(like prazi for example) I get the reply that they used to carry it but they don't anymore. Then when I go to the actual store there are about 15 different water conditioners, a ton of algae killers, ph adjusters, a bunch of products that claim to make the water less cloudy and harsh "cure all" meds. I realize that they're appealing to people that don't want to/know that they should do water changes or cycle their tanks, but it's just frustrating to me that good useful medicines are being pushed off of the rack. :madrant Of course this isn't directed at any store in particular because that would be a bad thing to do on Koko's and really it's at most stores that I go to. It just seems like an annoying trend and I was wondering if you guys have noticed the same. Maybe I just need to move somewhere with better pet stores like a big al's :druel

I didn't think any lfs carried Prazi. Actually Daryl says you can get it at Sears, but its named some brand name. She said its pretty cheap there. I wish I could remember, but if you pm her she will probably tell you, I'm sure. And when she does, let us know ok?

Yeah, you can pretty much get the same stuff they sell in the lfs at wallyworld. Mine here doesn't even have any good goldie food except for Aqueon. Most of their food is actually Tetra or Wardley, lol! I get Hikari pellets at wallyworld as the lfs here doesn't have them!

I agree Chain stores do not carry things that I want either...like I could even find the higher range pH test kit at one them...but I am really blessed to have an lfs very close to my house...that carries practically everything one would want...even BioSpira... :) ...They usually stay late as well..

When my Chikoo got flukes..it was around 11 at night, when all of us here decided that I should have Prazi on hand just in case...I tried my luck and called these guys..they were about to close..and I simply inquired about Prazi..the owner said they carry it and would love to wait for me if I would like to get it that late...He also said..he would be glad to stay late there rather than hear a story of a dead fish the next day...I went there and it was really nice of them to stay open just for me and my fish..Well they did put some negative thoughts in my head abt my fish not surviving the disease and stuff, which blew me off...but the point is that yeah I am really lucky to have a store like that.. :)

Wow your lfs sounds really nice :) I actually found prazi at a store an hour away so that wasn't too bad, but I've also tried to get bio-bandage and the parasite medicine that you mixed in with food and I've gotten the answer of "well we used to have it..." at my local places and have had to do some traveling to find it. I know a lot of mom and pop stores just can't afford to stock a wide array of medicines and yet I've had the best luck finding good meds at these places(just not in my town). Oh and about the high range ph thing.... omg our city water has a ph of 8.4 and that's what our local chain store keeps their tanks at but they don't sell high range ph kits! What is up with that?!?

I can get prazi from a place about an hour away from me that also has *everything* a girl could want, goldfish-wise... the downside is that when I ask about certain medications, they look at me as though I've somehow allowed my firstborn to contract a terminal disease. "I don't *know* how he got parasites, I'm sorry! Please, stop glaring and sell me the meds!"

This bring up something, really.. the general *ignorant public WANTS these things. They think they need them, so the products are sold. When I was adding dechloinate to the tank I was cleaning, my dad mentioned that he had "more chemicals" if I needed them! You don't need tons of chemicals to have clean, healthy water.. :( ?

I wish there was maybe.. a way to educate the public without being intrusive.. It would lessen the demand for such products and people would start seeing what they really do need?? :blink:

Well, I learned something new today, and something ELSE that the lfs told me incorrectly. The lady that runs it told me Prazi was only available online and that pet stores weren't allowed to sell it. Hmmm. Oh well, I'm not surprised.