How Do I Clean My Tank?

Guest Megan Steele

Guest Megan Steele

I am new at the whole goldfish thing and I need some instruction on how to clean the tank. I have a 10 gallon tank and I was wondering how to clean it without takiung all the water out, I have never done it before. Please help! :(

You will need a siphon for two reasons. One, it makes taking the water out so much easier, and two, if you have gravel, it's MANDATORY that you vacuum the gravel very, very well so that you get rid of any bad bacterias living there.

I would remove some of the water into a bucket. Then, you rinse all the filter parts in that water as well as all the decorations. Intense scrubbing and cleaning isn't necessary. Just rub everything well with your fingers. Then with your hands or a dedicated sponge, scrubber, etc., wipe down the inside walls of the tank. You do all of this before any siphoning/vacuuming.

If you have algae, my suggestion is that you can clean some of it, but also, to leave a little growing on something. One tube, one decoration, one rock, etc. Algae is the first life form that grows in an aquatic environment and it must get established before it will slow down/stop and allow other higher plant life forms to grow. If you keep removing all of the algae, the water is "programmed" to reestablish the algae over and over again. But, if you allow some to remain, it will eventually, stop growing or slow down its growth immensely. When I first started my tank, I had brown algae everywhere. But, I've left the algae to continue to grow on two uptake tubes and it, literally, doesn't grow anywhere else anymore.

Then, once you have all of these things rinsed and wiped down, you can start siphoning the water out of the tank. You should remove at least 50% of the water with each change; however, water changes are based on your test readings. If you have a higher reading, then it will mean that you will want to remove more than 50% of the water; maybe 60%-80%.

Water changes of at least 50% should be done once a week with a 100% water change once a month. Water changes should always have a dechlorinator/conditioner added and should be temperature matched.

Guest Orandaa

When your tank is fully set up, cycled, and being filtered. You will want to do water changes. With a filter, and with only one fish, you won't need to do them daily. Everyone has a different preferance but for your situation I would do a 50% water change twice a week.

The tank itself, having only one fish, probably won't get too dirty. You may find some algae on the sides, in which case you can scrub off with an algae brush, or something similar.

Edited by Orandaa

Guest Megan Steele

Thanks for the info but what is a siphon, how do I vacuum my gravel??? Also, my filter is a 30 gallon filter, and I only have a 10 gallon tank, will this reduce ho ofte I have to do water changes?

Pet Co Siphons

Pet Co Test Kits

Pet S Mart Gravel Vacuum

Pet S Mart Test Kits

Vacuums and siphons are pretty much the same thing usually. Some are battery powered, and some work by filling the vacuum tube with water and then just vigorously pumping it up and down in the water to get the water flowing. There is one called a Python. It's very expensive, but it does make the job easier. It hooks up to a faucet and has a valve that allows the water you suck out to flow through the tube and then down the drain and when you switch the valve to the other direction, you can send water directly from your faucet right to your tank.

To vacuum your gravel, you just push the end of the vacuum tube down into the gravel and wiggle it around a bit, it will suck up the junk that gets caught in the gravel. You position the other end of the hose into a bucket or out the door so that the gunky water gets dumped. Sometimes I use the old tank water to water my plants. All that fish poop is good for plants. What I did was to go to Home Depot and in the plumbing department, they have clear 1/2" tubing that you can buy by the foot. I bought like 25', took off the hose that came with the vacuum and put on the longer piece. That way I can stretch the hose across the room and out my sliding glass door.

No problem sweetie! Let us know how things are going with you as you get your tank cycling.

Oh! And, you might want to keep a journal of your daily activities and maintenance with your tank. It will be a great history of what you did and, if you ever have any questions about your procedures, you will have something to look back to. Many of us keep journals here. Just like with information with the date of a water test and/or water change, what the test readings were, how much water you removed, etc. Just anything and everything you do with your tank.

Guest Megan Steele

Just a couple more questons. :rolleyes: How much should I feed a goldfish per day? How often should I clean my gravel and do water changes? My tank cycling is coming along great! So far I have very little ammonia!! :D