Black Moor Goldfish

Guest Megan Steele

Guest Megan Steele

Hi I just got a new tank for goldfish. I am waiting 3 days for the water to get set up properly before I get my new fish. I am cond=sidering getting a black moor goldfish. But I have some plastics plants in my aquarium. Is it very common for these goldfish to be injured with these plastic plants? Also, I am going to get a fanitail goldfish, will the fanitail be taking a lot of the black moor's food because of the black moor's eyes?

Guest Megan Steele
:newfish I am using a 30 gallon filter to help keep the tank eveb cleaner. So will the black moor be ok with my plastic plants? :unsure: Someone answer cause I am kind of worried.

Guest Orandaa

What do the plants look like? If there's anything sharp about them, I'd recommend either taking them out, or not getting a moor. Most plants should be fine, though. Its ornaments and things like that that often hurt moors.

Guest Megan Steele

Most of the edges on the plants are rounded, the only pointed things on the plants are little fake looking flowers on the tops of some of the plants.

Hiii...and Welcome to Koko's...

First some basics.. :D ...Each fancy goldfish needs a minimum of 10 gallons...so in a 10 gallon tank..you can have only one fish ideally...or else it will be overstocked..and a lot of ammonia building up...and problems... :unsure: ..So in a 10 gallon just get the moor if you like..or in other words just 1 goldfish.. :)

Then with the filtration in goldfish tanks filters have to be 10 times stronger than the capacity of your tank...meaning in your case...multiply 10 gallons by 10..hence you would need a 100gph filter...filtration has to be this strong becos goldfish produce a lot of waste..so you could exchange your current filter for a good strong filter..I like the Marineland Penguin brand of filters...100-150gph would be good... :)

Next..you said you would wait for 3 days before getting a fish...umm..you need to cycle the tank before adding a fish to your tank...you can read about cycling here...

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

This is a very important process as it helps build useful bacteria...this takes about 4-5 weeks...in a cycled tank the fish will be very happy and healthy...while cycling with fish it can grow weak and susceptible to diseases..so it is always a very good idea to cycle before getting the fish.. :)

For your last question on the moor with plastic plants..it is always a good idea to have silk plants with moors..cos yeah their eyes get hurt very easily...but if you can replace the plastic plants with silk..tht would be gr888... :)

Please ask questions on cycle and anything else...everyone here will be more than happy to help you out.. :)

Some additional useful supplies: Get an airstone,ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, pH drop test kits to start off with.

Edited by SunshineGurl

Guest Megan Steele

Thanks for the info on the moor's! Ok, so let me get this straight about the cycling. If I let the filter run for about 3 days, and then take a sample of my water to nnnn to make sure it is ok, can I then put my fish in the tank? How do I lower the levels of ammonia and nitrite? Where can I buy a kit to test the water by myself? :blink:

Guest Orandaa

Cycling the tank is the action of allowing useful and beneficial bacteria to grow in your filter, and tank. This process CAN tank up to a couple months. But it will take longer than 3 days, for sure. So 3 days isn't quite long enough to fully cycle.

You can buy test kits at your local fish store.

No, it takes longer than 3 days to cycle a tank. Cycle of the Tank. It will take 4-8 or more weeks to cycle a tank and there's no cutting corners on doing this correctly. There are some hearty tropical fish that can go in a new tank after 3 days, but not goldfish. If a fish store employee told you this, you have learned your first lesson in keeping goldfish, which is, never listen to the advice given to you by fish stores. Most employees know very little to nothing about keeping fish and what they do know is about tropicals and/or saltwater. There are few to none who are knowledgeable about goldfish.

While cycling a tank, you need to test your water every day, so it's really quite impractical to consider taking your water to a fish store to be tested. If you do choose to do this, however, don't let them tell you that "it's okay," or "it's safe," etc. You MUST ask for actual numbers. But, because you do need to test so often, you are so much better off to invest in drop test kits for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and ph. They may cost a bit more in the initial investment, but they do last for quite a while, so long-term, they're a much better investment. You can get test kits at any place that sells fish. Thank god that fish stores at least recognize the importance of these test and all carry them.

The only way to keep ammonia, nitrites and/or nitrates down is through water changes. You must do at least a 50% water change, but as the amount of water changed is based on what your test readings are, you may find yourself needing to do 70%, 80% or even 90% water changes. When you're cycling the tank, you very likely may need to do water changes every day. After the tank is cycled, temperature matched water changes of at least 50% must be done once a week and a 100% water change must be done once a month, every month.

Water changes should be temperature matched with a dechlorinator or conditioner used.

Back to the decorations with moors. It is preferred that there be nothing in tanks with moors, but definitely, if you do choose to have decorations, they should be live plants or silk plants and these should be kept minimal.

Got that answered on your other question, sweetie! Let us know how things are going for you!