Is This Normal?

amynmitchell

Yesterday, I found my first fish to add to the tank. An adorable little calico Oranda. She is tiny! Barely an inch. I picked her because she seemed the most outgoing. Since putting her in the tank she initially checked out her surroundings and then went and hide behind driftwood. i put her in at 4pm yesterday. She pretty much stays hidden, even to the point of bottom sitting but no clamped fins. When she does decide to come out she is insanely zippy going all across the tank in a panic and if there is even a slight noise she hides again and won't come out for hours.

She did eat a bit this morning, but only while staying hidden when the food floated to her.

I found another fish to add a closer to three inch Ryukin. I thought this would help her come out of her shell and then I can quarentine them both together. He has been in the tank for three hours and she is really hiding from him...not even the least bit curious or just too plain scared.

Should I expect her to come out of her shell over the next few days or should I be worried that she is sick? Or will she always be a scaredy fish?

Are you salting and prazi-ing? Could be, might be the flukes, especially the zippy behavior and bottom sitting.

But, I found that my little Toby is much more fearful than my bigger ones. It's like they know their small and susceptible and it's in their nature to hide to protect. How long have I had Toby? What? Two months, month and a half? And yesterday, just once, for a second, did he eat from my fingers for the first and only time. Peaches, at 2", is a bit more brave, but not as brave as my big guys. So, it could also just be that it's still so little.

And now to the most important thing.... :Congrats: Whoo Hoo!!!! Pictures, Pictures, Pictures!

I agree with Lynda, sounds like flukes, especially with a new fishy like that. Also, it helps if you leave the light off with a new fish help them acclimate to their new environment, with out the over stimulation of lights added to all the new stuff like noise and new tank etc.

I haven't treated for flukes yet and I have wonderd if that along with her teeny tiny status is the problem. I just put her in yesterday and the other guy went in today. I was going to medicate her today, but then I thought why shop first and if I find another one I can medicate them together. So I'm going to give him today to rest and then I'm going to go ahead and medicate tommorrow. Does that seem like a good plan? I'll probably feed them in the morning and them treat them at night.

Right now I just have 0.1% salt going. I'm reluctant to bring the salt up to more than 0.2% because I'm worried about my plants and a bump in my newly started cycle.

Right now I'm guessing the zippiness is more fear than anything else. She will start to venture out and if something startles her she flys across the tank, gets caught in the current of the airstone and essentially completely panics. She really has moved in the last few hours from bottom sitting behind the plant. But her fins are all up and she's not breathing hard or anything. She does know the big fish is in there at has peeped at him, but completely hides if he comes anywhere close to her.

The big guy has been resting in the corner by the onion plant for the last few hours. I think they just need a few days to adjust. Hopefully, the little one will come out and be friends at some point.

Pictures will be coming as soon as they get less camera shy.

Lynda, I'm around for the next couple of weeks whenever you are ready to show off Kabuki (love the name)...

No, if you feel your fish are healthy or relatively healthy as far as bacteria, 0.2% should be fine. Of course, if you do feel you need to go to 0.3%, you have your smaller tank you could temporarily put your plants in..... I know... that means tearing up the tank, but if that's what it takes to treat the fish....

Jackson was so neurotically zippy when I first got him and it was all the flukes. He was back and forth, back and forth, back and forth across the tank. No flashing like scraping on gravel or other stuff. Just this neurotic back and forth. I could tell when the prazi had started working because he didn't do the zipping as much and then finally just stopped that neurotic back and forth in the tank and started swimming and hangin' out like a normal fish. So, I'm sure it's a combination of the two for you. Tiny and flukes.

Yeah, rest is good for now. Then food and then prazi. Sounds good.

Okay, Amy, I swear. I'm gonna get the abode cleaned up to a non-condemnable state and then we'll work something out!

Edited by Lynda Von G

I'll keep you posted as to how the little one does. She hasn't reappeared at all tonight, but the big guy is out and about now that I turned the lights off. So food in the afternoon after they rest and then medicine and we will see what happens.

Hey Amy..I really didn't know you got new fish...aww...how sweet..calico oranda...tht baby must be a darling...and a nice ryukin..wowo...I really hope ur babies do better..especially the oranda, since she is a bit low...I just saw ur salt thread...I ll check it out once again and answer you there...I really hope ur babies are fine.. :) ..I am here... :heart

Ah... new mothers! :D We worry about everything! All those worry lines are so awfully cute Amy! You're doing fine, babe!