Velvet ?

Sally2007

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 5.0 - 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.6

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.6

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gallons and has been running from Dec 10

<LI>What is the name and size of the filter/s? penguin 350

<LI>How often do you change the water and how much? every week 30%-40%

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 Fantail around 4 to 5 Inches.

<li>What kind of water additives or conditioners? cycle , aqua plus tap water conditioner

<li>Any medications added to the tank? no

<li>Add any new fish to the tank? no

<li>What do you feed your fish ? pro gold , gel food , flake food

<li>Any unusual findings on theish such as "grains of salt", no but it looks like gold

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? yes

<li>Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? yes staying at the bottom ,eating well but sometimes not much

ok so i notice some yellow little spots on my male goldfish a few weeks ago i just though it was him growing but now i think its velvet i was doing some research and i saw that thers alot of different medication to use but i dont know which one is better... please helllp...

I just tried to reply but it didn't go through so I'll try again.

I can't help you much. I have no experience with velvet.. However, There was a thread a few weeks ago about it, and Trinket said that the best medication for Velvet is Coppersafe.. Which I could do more. : ) Good luck!!!

I just tried to reply but it didn't go through so I'll try again.

I can't help you much. I have no experience with velvet.. However, There was a thread a few weeks ago about it, and Trinket said that the best medication for Velvet is Coppersafe.. Which I could do more. : ) Good luck!!!

Thanks what about prazzi medication or nox ich medication can these work? i know nox ich is for ich and velvet.

Prazi won't work for Velvet... Prazi is great for flukes though..I learned recently that Velvet is one of the harder things to treat, because it generally will NOT respond to salt, like most other things.

I just looked at a few golfish books, including fancy goldfish... It says that Formalin is one option of treatment, but that Copper is the BEST medication for it. IOther books mention using a Formalin/Malachite Green combination. Such as Quick Cure. Nox-Ich contains Sodium Chloride & Malachite Green.

Personally, if you can get a hold of Mardel Copper Safe (it's at most stores) I would go with that. Between Trinket choosing it, and Fancy Goldfish choosing it. That would be what I use.. Another option I found on a site, that I would look for if I you can't find it, which I have never seen in person, just on a website is:

Aquarium Products:

Organi-Cure

formalin 17%

copper 1.25%

Since those are the two main things I've seen recommended for velvet. It appears that it would be on of the little bottles, like the Quick Cure, but who knows.

If you have never treated with Prazi, it will still be a good idea to do that at some point. But I am not sure if it can be used at the same time as the others, so I would wait for a mod.

Also, a lot of things suggest finding a copper test, if you are going to use a copper treatment.. They are hard to find, but I have seen them at some stores, just not the typical chain stores.. I believe it is important to be very careful about your dosages when it comes to copper. But actually, it is extremely important to watch your doses with ALL of these medications I've mentioned.

Watch your fish for signs of stress... If they have a bad reaction, you will need to do a water change..

Prazi won't work for Velvet... Prazi is great for flukes though..I learned recently that Velvet is one of the harder things to treat, because it generally will NOT respond to salt, like most other things.

I just looked at a few golfish books, including fancy goldfish... It says that Formalin is one option of treatment, but that Copper is the BEST medication for it. IOther books mention using a Formalin/Malachite Green combination. Such as Quick Cure. Nox-Ich contains Sodium Chloride & Malachite Green.

Personally, if you can get a hold of Mardel Copper Safe (it's at most stores) I would go with that. Between Trinket choosing it, and Fancy Goldfish choosing it. That would be what I use.. Another option I found on a site, that I would look for if I you can't find it, which I have never seen in person, just on a website is:

Aquarium Products:

Organi-Cure

formalin 17%

copper 1.25%

Since those are the two main things I've seen recommended for velvet. It appears that it would be on of the little bottles, like the Quick Cure, but who knows.

If you have never treated with Prazi, it will still be a good idea to do that at some point. But I am not sure if it can be used at the same time as the others, so I would wait for a mod.

Also, a lot of things suggest finding a copper test, if you are going to use a copper treatment.. They are hard to find, but I have seen them at some stores, just not the typical chain stores.. I believe it is important to be very careful about your dosages when it comes to copper. But actually, it is extremely important to watch your doses with ALL of these medications I've mentioned.

Watch your fish for signs of stress... If they have a bad reaction, you will need to do a water change..

i actually dont think we have Mardel Copper Safe in stores here but i will try to order it online.

What about Aquarisol by Aquarium Products? It lists that as a medicine that is copper sulphate based. That would probably work. I think you basically want to find a med that you can get there, that uses copper sulphate..

What about Aquarisol by Aquarium Products? It lists that as a medicine that is copper sulphate based. That would probably work. I think you basically want to find a med that you can get there, that uses copper sulphate..

yes im gonna check that 2morrw no stores is open 2day lol

If it is velvet and you can salt your tank, 1 Tablespoon per gallon (3 teaspoons per gallon) added over a day or so will kick the heck out of it.

Killifish keepers often keep salt in their tanks to keep it away.

Best fishes

David

www....................com

Recently I suggest salt as a poossible option on another thread for velvet.. One of the moderators on here informed me that while salt is a fabulous choice for many things, velvet is not always affected by the salt.. Often it is salt resistant, which is why a stronger med is prefered in this case, ususally copper based. If the salt works, that's wonderful!!!

How are the fish?

Thanks everyone for replying unfortunaly i dont have that med here i checked everywhere and my babies are getting worse im going out 2morrw morning to check somewhere else i fin work everyday at 8 pm so the stores down here is closed ....

I actually spent some time looking at one of my stores the other day because I was curious

I found the Organi-Cure, and I was right. It was in a small bottle like the QuickCure.. About $3 each. I think either of those would be great to try. Basically, if you can't find the exact meds listed, you want to take a look on the backs. A lot of times you can actually find Formalin by itself, also in little bottles like the QuickCure.

You could even ask them for a med that contains formalin or copper.

This is painful! I have a bottle sitting RIGHT HERE, and have easy access to the other meds..

ok so yesterday i went out to all the fish stores and guess what I FOUND COPPERSAFE so i did a 40% wc and then added it. i cant believe it was so hard to find. anyways i see that both of my goldies have tear fins will the coppersafe be dangerous to use? they dont say on the package how long to use the medication and when to do a wc the only thing they say is use 1 teaspoon for 4 gallons of water. do u add that everyday or just once?

I just found this on a a current thread and thought i would pass it along:

Coppersafe is the best choice for velvet IF you have a stable higher than 7.2 pH and harder water. Copper sulfate is a dangerous medication if not used very carefully paying special attention to pH. It interacts with alkalinity. Coppersafe is not safe at all in soft water, acidic water or low pH. In these cases you would have to use salt.

Velvet is similar to ich, they could be different colored sisters. So you need to do gravel vacs to clear them all and raise temp to speed their life cycle.

If you use salt I suggest you remove the fish to a QT and treat them with 0.3% salt there. By removing the fish you reduce the number of parasites you need to eliminate making salting easier and more effective. The main tank can then be fed ammonia to retain a cycle and the velvet remaining will die. Velvet needs a fish to survive and dies after 2 weeks if there are no fish or hosts to feed off. It is a weak parasite in this way. Weaker than ich.

So the good news is you've found the correct medication and your PH is in an okay range. Just be sure to continue to check the PH and make sure it stays that way..

Regular testing and water changes is important, as Trinket said. If you have a heater you can gradually raise the temperature to 80. Not instantly.. go up a little at a time..

I pulled out the package and am looking at it myself. You are right, it does not mention water changes, OR how often to treat it. I am going to assume by this that one dose it all that is needed. HOWEVER, like Trinket said, you DO want to do daily water changes, and vaccuum the gravel so that you can remove anything that has fallen off, into the gravel.

Based on this I suggest you always maintain the SAME level of medication in your water. I will PM a moderator to be sure. IN the meantime I would suggest you add the correct dose based on the volume of your tank. Then when you do a water change, keep it to a level that makes it easy for you, like 50%. If you remove 50% of the water, then you are removing 50% of the meds, so you probably need to reADD 50% of the meds. SO it looks as though based on your tank you will need to add 5 teaspoons initially. Then if you do a50% water change each day, you will need to add back in 2.5 teaspoons each day.

I know that with copper it is VERY important that you have the correct dosing in, and you do NOT want to overdose. I suggest you keep a log of how much medication is going into the tank, water changes. All those things.

Until I can get a mod here to confirm, I suggest you never go higher than having 5 teaspoons in your tank at a time.. It really appears to me that this is the correct dosing. If not, I would rather go on the safe side and have not enough meds than have too many..

I just found this on a a current thread and thought i would pass it along:

Coppersafe is the best choice for velvet IF you have a stable higher than 7.2 pH and harder water. Copper sulfate is a dangerous medication if not used very carefully paying special attention to pH. It interacts with alkalinity. Coppersafe is not safe at all in soft water, acidic water or low pH. In these cases you would have to use salt.

Velvet is similar to ich, they could be different colored sisters. So you need to do gravel vacs to clear them all and raise temp to speed their life cycle.

If you use salt I suggest you remove the fish to a QT and treat them with 0.3% salt there. By removing the fish you reduce the number of parasites you need to eliminate making salting easier and more effective. The main tank can then be fed ammonia to retain a cycle and the velvet remaining will die. Velvet needs a fish to survive and dies after 2 weeks if there are no fish or hosts to feed off. It is a weak parasite in this way. Weaker than ich.

So the good news is you've found the correct medication and your PH is in an okay range. Just be sure to continue to check the PH and make sure it stays that way..

Regular testing and water changes is important, as Trinket said. If you have a heater you can gradually raise the temperature to 80. Not instantly.. go up a little at a time..

I pulled out the package and am looking at it myself. You are right, it does not mention water changes, OR how often to treat it. I am going to assume by this that one dose it all that is needed. HOWEVER, like Trinket said, you DO want to do daily water changes, and vaccuum the gravel so that you can remove anything that has fallen off, into the gravel.

Based on this I suggest you always maintain the SAME level of medication in your water. I will PM a moderator to be sure. IN the meantime I would suggest you add the correct dose based on the volume of your tank. Then when you do a water change, keep it to a level that makes it easy for you, like 50%. If you remove 50% of the water, then you are removing 50% of the meds, so you probably need to reADD 50% of the meds. SO it looks as though based on your tank you will need to add 5 teaspoons initially. Then if you do a50% water change each day, you will need to add back in 2.5 teaspoons each day.

I know that with copper it is VERY important that you have the correct dosing in, and you do NOT want to overdose. I suggest you keep a log of how much medication is going into the tank, water changes. All those things.

Until I can get a mod here to confirm, I suggest you never go higher than having 5 teaspoons in your tank at a time.. It really appears to me that this is the correct dosing. If not, I would rather go on the safe side and have not enough meds than have too many..

Thanks alot countrylovah... the temp in the tank is 84F its really hot down here :)

Edited by sally2007

If the temp is high, the velvet will die off faster I think. But you will need to add extra aeration to your tank in the form of splash at the water's surface. You will also need less rather than more of the coppersafe at higher temps where almost all meds become more potent.

I am very sorry I have never used this product so I cannot give details of usage but i think Sue is right about maintaining the dose they suggest or just less than, at all times for the period suggested...sooo..if you do a water change as many of us like to when medicating you will need to add back the amount of medication removed. This requires immaculate journal keeping of whats going in and out....tricky but you can do it!