Aquascaping My 130g?

Guest Acer

Hello,

In May I upgraded my goldfish from a 55g to a 130g tank, however I had to leave for work (I'm a student...) shortly thereafter. I just got back last week, and they are really healthy and looking great, but I'm not happy with the tank in terms of aesthetics. Just has a bit of natural-coloured gravel, some randomly placed pieces of driftwood, and some java fern rooted to the wood.

I've been looking for some pictures of nicely aquascaped goldfish tanks, but usually I just come across barebottom tanks without much going on. I've tried lots of different plant species since I first got my goldfish (~3 yrs ago) and I don't like fake plants, so I'm thinking something that focuses on wood and rocks versus live/fake plants.

I know the arguments for/against barebottom tanks, and I personally like gravel, so just putting that out there :) I'm a pretty fastidious tank cleaner, so I have no problems with a bit more maintenance.

Does anyone have links to their tank pictures or others? I need some inspiration badly :D

Thanks!

Edited by Acer

Guest Orandaa

Personally, I've never been a fan of dark tanks. Though, a lot of people have them. I've always been one to like either natural coloured/looking tanks, or brightly coloured tanks. Currently, I have white gravel in my tank (which is my favourite type), along with a large fake plant (that looks real), and a circle of redish brown stones, with an airstone in the middle of them so it looks like a volcano or geyser. I tried to go for a more natural look.

I was looking at a topic the other day and someone had posted their photos of their tank and they had 2 glass bowls on either side of the tank, filled with bright gravel (I think) and it looked great. I'll try to find it.

What sort of theme were you going for?

I had fake plants once... and one of my weak-swimming goldfish got stuck in them :P

In terms of theme... I'm thinking of a lake-bottom scene, with driftwood placed on one side and maybe gravel sloping to one side. I did that before with my 55g and got it to a point where I liked it... but it was definitely dark, which didn't showcase the 4 black moors too well!

I've never had a tank this big, so it seems a little intimidating, and I also feel like I've got to get it perfect. The thing is, my goldfish love eating plants (they even had a go at the java fern surprisingly, although they didn't get veggies over the summer...) and don't seem to be partial towards swimming through structures or plants or anything.

I guess I'm just having problems b/c of the limitations one has with aquascaping a goldfish tank... I'd like a lush green tank, but that isn't going to happen (hence my 20g community tank). I like the lake-bottom look, but it is too dark... and I'm not a fan of tanks that are too bright (i.e.: fake colours). I guess I've got to visualize what I want first!

Guest Orandaa

It can definitely be intimidating but at the same time its really exciting to start up a new tank, especially one that big. Just look at a lot of photos, think of what you might want to do with it, and consider the colours of the fish that will be going in it.

Based on what you're going for but what you're limited to, I'd look at photos of tanks with white gravel, it looks really good for a natural sort of look but still keeps the tank bright. Good luck!

Here's a professional website that might give you some ideas: Aquarium Design Group

The tanks on there are pretty fancy, but may be kind of what you are aiming to create in your tank.

Edited by Petperson04

in my 125g i have some riverstones, mostly barebottom though, some simple decorations and 2 live plants that I placed in a glass with gravel then riverstones on top of the gravel. It doesnt look too great but the fish love it!

Here's a link to a site called "Rate My Tank." It has thousands of pictures of tanks all split up into different categories depending on whether they're saltwater, reef, fresh, planted, etc. The point of this site is for people to post their pictures and for others to rate the tank based on their opinion of design and function, but it's a great resource for tons of pictures in addition to the fact that each poster lists the lighting, plant types, fertilization, etc. If you can't find something here that you like or that gives you inspiration to create your own design, I don't think you'll find anything anywhere! Have fun! I know how much fun it is to decorate your tank!