Oxygenation For 80 Gal

I got a new 80gal bow for my single Comet (overkill, yes, but a deal I couldn't pass up) and I have a question about oxygenation. I have 2 Emperor 400's and a decorative bubble house in the tank. They seem to create a lot of bubbles in the tank but I do notice Gorton going to the surface a lot. I was wondering if I need more oxygenation? I was thinking about adding a bubble wand along the entire back of the tank, 48". Do I need this? Is there such a thing as too much air? I wasn't sure if it would cause too much turbulence in the tank.

Thanks!

tank.jpg

Guest Orandaa

Wow, first of all I love the tank! I like the little bubble house :P

Im not sure if you need more oxygen hopefully someone can answer that. But what do you feed him? If you feed him floating pellets sometimes they go to the surface because they want food.

I do feed him floating pellets but I've watched him from above when he goes to the surface and it looks like he is gulping for air. I'm no fish expert but that is what it looks like to me. I'm of the midset that if additional air will only help him, not hurt him, then I'll do it. I already have a Hagen Elite 801 powering it now and the tank came with a Hagen Optima pump so all I would need to get is the actual bubble wand. Again, I'm just worried it will be too much and harm rather than help.

• Admin

I dont have the bow tank but I do have a 80 gal tank...In mine I have 2 350 Penguins and a canister filter too. The other thing that I have is 2 bubble wands in the tank. They are positioned at the middle and one end of the tank. This way it keeps the water agitated and also gives them a quiet spot on one side of the tank :)

Hope this helps

Guest Orandaa
I do feed him floating pellets but I've watched him from above when he goes to the surface and it looks like he is gulping for air. I'm no fish expert but that is what it looks like to me. I'm of the midset that if additional air will only help him, not hurt him, then I'll do it. I already have a Hagen Elite 801 powering it now and the tank came with a Hagen Optima pump so all I would need to get is the actual bubble wand. Again, I'm just worried it will be too much and harm rather than help.

Based on your photo, I think you can add additional oxygen. Koko made a good suggestion about the wands.

I ended up putting in a 46" bubble wand after I found out the Optima pump was adjustable. Gorton loves it! He swims non-stop through it. Then at night I turn it down and he sleeps under it. Thanks Orandaa and Koko!